New th strain

Help Support Steer Planet:

herf96

Have not kept up with all that is going on with this.  Does this strain go back to one particular bull or family of cattle?  We we need to retest all of our cows for TH to find out if the are a carrier of the new strain?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DL

It is not a new mutation - the Outcast mutation was identified at about the same time as the Improver mutation. Search SP - it has been extensively covered

herf96

Fairly faithful follower of SP, If the outcast mutation was found at relatively the same time as the Improver then why if your cattle have not been tested in the past eighteen months they may be a carrier of the outcast mutation.

CAB

Five pages of dicussion on this topic. Subject "2 Strains of TH" On page # 6 as of now may move further back. Brent

herf96

I have read the post thanks.  I still do not understand if it was relatively the same time of knowing both why has it just been the past 18 months that a test has been available for the two mutations.

DL

herf96 said:
I have read the post thanks.  I still do not understand if it was relatively the same time of knowing both why has it just been the past 18 months that a test has been available for the two mutations.

I guess you didn't read carefully enough - from the 5 pages

Does anybody remember the conversation we had about testing for TH and having to request the test for the Outcast deletion? This was related to the fact that it was technically difficult to test for both deletions and the fact that the Outcast deletion is very very very rare - like 6 in 14,000 tested for both.

So anyhow, up until Jan 2008 the Outcast deletion was only tested for if requested by the owner or if the pedigree suggested it should be. Jazzman was tested in fall 2007 - there is nothing (nada, zero, zip) in his pedigree that suggests he should have the Outcast deletion

Jill

Has anyone thought that maybe someone else in his pedigree carries the mutation other than Outcast?

Latest posts