New to showing...clubby bull or not?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Lacy09

My boys are new to showing heifers.  The plan is for one to show the heifer and then my other son show her calf.  So the question is, what type of bull should we look for?  I know calving ease is the most important thing.  Do non-clubby bulls throw nice show calves too??  Are the majority of show cattle by clubby bulls or not?  Heifer is Daddy's Money x Solid Gold.  Any help would be so appreciated!!

Gargan

I would use a red Angus or angus bull first go round. Detour has been a great red Angus option for me. Brilliance is a fancy black Angus that's hfr safe. Good luck

Gargan

Show hfrs are definitely a possiblity out of brilliance and some of the other Angus bulls. Steers may lack the power to compete at high levels but can be ok too

Jacob B

I’d stay away from any recommendation that says a blanket statement like angus or red angus....I’d use specific bulls in those breeds that are exceptionally proven calving ease bulls, not just ANY bull within the breed. There are bulls from different breeds that will make it easier to get a healthy baby n healthy momma.  I don’t think that is what a blanket statement on purpose but do your research. Don’t need a whopper of a calf the first time out. The cow should last a good long while if she any sort of maternal non clubby bred kinda cow

Gargan

Jacob B said:
I’d stay away from any recommendation that says a blanket statement like angus or red angus....I’d use specific bulls in those breeds that are exceptionally proven calving ease bulls, not just ANY bull within the breed. There are bulls from different breeds that will make it easier to get a healthy baby n healthy momma.  I don’t think that is what a blanket statement on purpose but do your research. Don’t need a whopper of a calf the first time out. The cow should last a good long while if she any sort of maternal non clubby bred kinda cow
That's why is specified 1 bull from each breed.
Mark. Red revolver has been great on maternal bred hfrs but a few clubby hfrs has required assistance calving to him.

Chuck Wagon

We bred a Daddy’s Money / Monoply heifer to SAV Brilliance.  Got a real nice keeper heifer that really hit a growth spurt.  She’s 1-1/2 now with pic. 

Attachments

• 4AA3522F-1756-4435-AF8B-516222AC4752.jpeg
    4AA3522F-1756-4435-AF8B-516222AC4752.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 280