New to Showing

Help Support Steer Planet:

LFFASHOWER

This is my first year showing a market prospect steer. Which at out fair we call them a Feeder Steer. He has very good genetics from a local famer has won many times at our fair but??? MY steer's back end is alot bigger that his front end. I was wondering if they oat blend that Kalambach feed has for frame building would help. Or maybe some of you have differnt ideas to help me. Thank you for your time.

shortyjock89

LFFASHOWER said:
This is my first year showing a market prospect steer. Which at out fair we call them a Feeder Steer. He has very good genetics from a local famer has won many times at our fair but??? MY steer's back end is alot bigger that his front end. I was wondering if they oat blend that Kalambach feed has for frame building would help. Or maybe some of you have differnt ideas to help me. Thank you for your time.

Well, if your steer is taller in the back than in the front, then he may just need more time to grow depending on how old he is.  If his rear end is wider than his front end, that's what you're goin for.  I bet that you mean taller though.  I would feed a good grower ration (alot of these are high in oat content). 

LFFASHOWER

Well i also show sheep and i know that they are suppose to look like a triangle and thats what he looks like. i am feeding him a 12% grower from kalambach and he is only about 200 lbs give or take a couple. he needs to be about 450 by august.

farmboy

SHEEP ARE TRIANGULAR, STEERS ARE SQUARE. THE BIGGER THE BUTT USUALLY THE BETTER. IF HE'S TALLER IN THE FRONT, HE NEEDS TO GROWUP A LITTLE. BTW,  (welcome)

LFFASHOWER

I know that they are suppose to be square but im wondering if there is anything to help get the front end of the calf to be wider.

farmboy

I THINK THATS REALLY SOMTHING THEY GROW INTO. WITH GOOD FEED AND TIME HE'LL COME AROUND. IT'S ABOUT TEN WEEKS TILL AUGUST. GOOD LUCK  :)

LFFASHOWER

He has just been weaned this week we took him right off of the mom. I will get you a picture hopefully soon.

red

LFFAshower, a lot of times after they''ve been weaned they go through a rough period. Mine always look a little rocky for a couple of weeks until they get on full feed & away from mom.
Also make sure you worm him if you haven't done so yet.

Red

shorthorns r us

at that weight? he is probably quite young and needs to be in a nursery like environment. if he were mine, i would make sure he had been vacced. worm w/ ivomec today & a paste in 14&28 days. probiotics & electrolytes daily for a few. free choice grass hay & a little grass if available. he may only eat 5-6 lbs of grain so keep it fresh. keep him cool and powdered for flies. if he hasn't been cut and/or dehorned let him get on his feet a little. what have i missed folks?

red

I think you got it pretty good SRU! I think at that age & having just been weaned he's at his worst. Give him time & plenty of TLC & you'll see a big improvement. Also breed factors a lot into it. some breeds just take off quicker than others.

Red

LFFASHOWER

I weighed him today and he was 260 lbs. and he has to be 450 and he has 65 days is that to high to shoot for what is the average weight gain and what can i do for him to gain more.

shorthorns r us

what is his dob?  why does he have to be at 450 by then?  is that when he will be shown or is that a nomination? if that is a show date, will there be an official weigh-in and/or will there be a weigh back? is cut and dehorned? does he have to be cut by that date? if we would recognize his pedigree, what is it? otherwise, what is his breed composition? how big framed is he going to be? how well is he eating? how big is his pen?  keep him cool. keep him cool. keep him cool. keep him cool. keep him cool.

AAOK

farmboy said:
ITS GONNA BE 2.92 POUNDS PER DAY

It seems to me like your little guy is pretty close to what you want.  My idea of a comparison, is that you want a Show Steer to be shaped like a bullet.  I would say to keep feeding him a good show starter ration, increasing weekly to about 10 pounds twice daily buy your August date.  Some good hay free choice would help.  At 260 today, he will be real close at 3 pounds daily gain.  If he is a better than average convertor, you shouls expect to see close to 4 pounds daily gain, which would put him over the 450 goal.  Start your daily rinsing, and brushing now too.  Keep him cool, with room to exercise, and he will gain better.  Good Luck!!