New to this part of showing. Need help

Help Support Steer Planet:

tiger

My son has been showing swine for the past three years. Ok don't quit me now.  We have always wanted toshow steers just that he wasn't quite prepared for that yet.  Now we have two steers one brahma cross and one Maine-cross calf.  Just wanting to get as much info as possible.  Both calves are halter broke and lead well, he has been walking them quite a bit and bathing and brushing.  We are feeding them 40% feed brahma weighs about 500 the maine weigh's about 625.  The maine goes in for dehorning next week, he has had respirtory infection that our vet has been treating before we surgically dehorn him.

Our county show is in mid-January and we plan to go to San Antonio and Houston also.  Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.  Oh on the maine steer what do we need to do for his hair everyone talks about his hair and having him grow some.  Our county show is a no hair show as is SA and Houston.

chambero

Are you planning on showing him at prospect shows where he will need hair?  If not, you need to do just enough work on his hair to keep him cool and clean.  That would entail washing/rinsing/blowing at least a couple of times a week, although plenty of people do less than that for slick calves.  The constant handling makes them gentle also so its not wasted effort.  Unless you are very serious and don't mind spending money, don't worry about putting lots of "stuff" (i.e. show sheen, Revive, etc) in their hair.  A lot of people do, but unless you are showing on a regular basis you are just wasting money.

In regards to working hair, soap once a week, rinse the rest of the time.  Especially in the summer, use a rice root brush more than you use a comb.  Brush down and then forward to train the hair.  If you truly break their hair to go forward, it will come up when the time comes to dress them.

The main reason for working the hair as hard as most people do in the summer is to actually keep them cool which in turn keeps them on feed.  Those calves will lose their appetite in a hurry if they are hot, which will put you behind on weight.

Not sure what you meant by feeding them 40% feed.  They should be eating around 3% of their body weight daily in feed.  A little hay is fine as long as they are eating as much feed as they need to be.  For slick shear shows in particular, you really can't get them too fat - at least its very hard to - especially with the Brahman and Maine.

You are fine on your weights right now for the spring majors.  Ours were weighing from 480 to 540 on April 15.

When a calf is sick, feed hay instead of feed.  It helps keep their body temperature down.  Make sure your vet is treating with one of the high-power antibiotics (i.e. Draxin, Nuflor, Micotil, etc).  Don't mess around with LA200 or others.  You want that calf to get well in a hurry.

red

(welcome) Tiger!

Listen to chambero, he is great especially when it comes to the slick shear shows!
Most of the feed rations for a complete feed are in the 11-14& protein range. Are you feeding a supplement that you add to grain? You sound like you're right on target w/ the weights.
Since they go through a lot of stress dehorning, make sure the steer has completely recovered. Chambero gave you some great advice on the antibiotics. Check his temperature daily also.
Good luck! We've all been there starting out & all of us will tell you we're still learning!
By the way, I think most of us have showed pigs, sheep & even Jersey's!

Red

knabe

i can atest to the advice on nuflor etc for it's ability to knock down bugs fast and help recover in less days than la200.  since la200 is available over the counter, it may get used, and then you call the vet anyway for some nuflor, now the price for la200 is higher.

as for the dehorning, don't tie up the calf too soon, particularly if the surgery or whatever, leaves a hole in the sinus cavity, even if it gets stitches.  calf could bang his head around or rub and cause problems.

for some reason i am reminded of some advice DL gave about getting cows to follow you rather than gathering.  lots of footsteps saved and used elsewhere.  nuflor etc.

red

usually when they dehorn, if it's surgically they wrap the heads up like a turban. My calves usually are laughed at when they get home. We usually don't tie them up for a couple of days.

Red

shortyjock89

Hmm...we had a bullcalf cosmetically dehorned last month and he just came home with some stitches and 5 cc of banamine for the pain if it got too bad.  He wasnt affected at all and we tied him up 4 days later and worked with him like usual.

DL

hey tiger - welcome aboard the planet - don't worry about the pigs, anyone who can embrace the Beefpaca, despite past, present, or future species of choice is welcome here!

I don't do hair so I won't give you hair advice! But I do do sick calves etc and have had to deal witha fair number of critters post showing so ....you need to make sure of 2 things (generically speaking
1) your calves have the maximum immunological advantage - this you get by nutrition esp trace minerals etc - I would get myself a 60 pound tub of Crystalyx Brigade (and some regular salt - I use the 4 pound horse salt blocks (plain NaCl) because they are not heavy and they sit pretty nice in the tubs. This is good stuff (no I don't sell it and don't own stock but do use it) and will provide all the minerals they need. Don't know if you are selenium deficient, but selenium is important for lots of things including the ability to fight off infection -
2) your calves are well vaccinated - talk to your vet about this one - you do not want to vaccinate a sick calf but once he recovers get a vaccination program - also the use of the intra nasal resp vaccines (TSV2) is a good idea before shows

Re antibiotics - I would rather us a low dose more expensive single shot antibiotic on a show calf - esp a first year kids show calf - both Draxxin and Nuflor are excellent choices - I personally would steer clear of Micotil since it has the potential to kill people if injected by accident - if your vet wants to give it fine but do not have a bottle of this stuff around.....

Good luck and keep us posted, dl

chambero

Once the calf is dehorned, I'd leave him alone for a week.  Our vet usually has us take our sttches out in two.  Since you already have him broke giving him a rest will be fine.  My theory is don't do anything to them while their head is sore.  I don't want anything associated with the halter or daily routine to hurt.

farmboy

I STARTED WITH A LAMB AND A HEIFER...DEHORNING( I DO IT THE OLD FASHIONED WAY. PHYSICAL AND IN A GROOMIN CHUTE. THEN YOU BURN EM'. MY CALF WAS FINE AND CAME AROUND. NOW IT DON'T HURT WHEN HE BUTT'S ME!  :D

tiger

Thanks for all the replies.  It is truly amazing how good people are when you just ask for alittle help.  I guess what the 40% feed means is 40%corn seems everyone around here feeds it till the fall and then jumps up to 60%.  Our vet treated this calf about ten day's ago with baytrol and when that didn't work he used Draxin.  The weather around here has been horrible cool and wet and then hot and humid, a lot of moisture in the air.  We plan on hitting some prospect shows this summer so I guess we need to work the hair some.  Yes your right about the dehorning, he doesn't want to do it till he is straight and then we can dehorn him.  What about implant's and walking a calf how much should we walk them a day?  I hear of people using tractors to walk them a long way, I have a 4020 that I can put a tool bar on and walk them a long way I just don't want to overdo it right now.  Also my son is really getting these calves to know him very well and I like that idea better than dragging them around with a tractor.  God Bless all of yall for your help.

shortyjock89

About Implants...I've used them a couple times..didn't notice alot of difference.  That doesn't mean that they won't work great for you, but they're not my thing. About the walking.  We walk our calves around the farm for exercise and to get them used to walking.  We used to use a tractor, and that works if you do it nice and easy and don't get crazy with it.  We stopped if the calf locked his feet up.  We don't use the tractor much anymore..the calves get broke pretty nicely by walking them to get washed when they're 4 or 5 months old lol.

chambero

You don't need the implants till about 60 days before your terminal show.  We use Revalor S.  Those combined with Optaflexx give you all the "boost" you need at the end.  If your calf isn't very sound you can tighten them up too much though. 

We used to exercise cattle a lot years ago, but nobody that I know of does it anymore.  We turn cattle out into large runs at night, but the days of walking them a mile or more are long gone.  Don't know if it would really hurt, but you can run the fat right off of them.  I sure wouldn't do it with a tractor.  Way back when we used to drag them behind one a little bit, but you can sure strain a muscle on one in a hurry if they balk.

DL

tiger said:
Thanks for all the replies.  It is truly amazing how good people are when you just ask for alittle help.  I guess what the 40% feed means is 40%corn seems everyone around here feeds it till the fall and then jumps up to 60%.  Our vet treated this calf about ten day's ago with baytrol and when that didn't work he used Draxin.  The weather around here has been horrible cool and wet and then hot and humid, a lot of moisture in the air.  We plan on hitting some prospect shows this summer so I guess we need to work the hair some.  Yes your right about the dehorning, he doesn't want to do it till he is straight and then we can dehorn him.  What about implant's and walking a calf how much should we walk them a day?  I hear of people using tractors to walk them a long way, I have a 4020 that I can put a tool bar on and walk them a long way I just don't want to overdo it right now.  Also my son is really getting these calves to know him very well and I like that idea better than dragging them around with a tractor.  God Bless all of yall for your help.

Did the Draxxin take care of the pneumonia?

red

Tiger, that's what makes this a good group! Usually everyone tries to help without the lip!
Check the protien content on your feed. That is usually what you go by for a complete feed.
DL gave great advice on the tubs, really good product.
I have a thread on here about summer hair care. If you can't find it let me know & I'll send it to you.
Good luck & keep us informed!

Red (welcome)

knabe

found this at the Revalor site

http://www.revalor.com/revalor-S.asp

"Studies have demonstrated that the administration of Revalor® -S can result in decreased marbling scores when compared to non-implanted steers.""

hmm, any thoughts on carcass classes and relationship between carcass scores and implants?