New To This

Help Support Steer Planet:

krissy94

Ummm..I'm new here and I just wanted to ask some questions. I havent started showing steers yet, im 13 and I'm getting my first steer this year and I was just wondering what it is like, what kind of responibilities I will have and things of that nature.

Simmymom1

(welcome)  (welcome)    Good Luck on your first year raising a steer!!!  This is my 12 year old daughter's third year showing cattle and she loves it, it is alot of work and responsibility but it is a very rewarding job.  I have seen such a positive change in my daughter over the last couple of years, she is growing into a very confident and responsible young girl!!  This is a great place to get help and support and we are glad that you are here!! 

krissy94

;D Thanks I'm really excited to start but I won't really get to do anything with my steer until November, but hes all red and his name is Apollo

Simmymom1

What state are you from, and are you raising him for your county fair??  (cow)

krissy94

I'm in Virginia, and yea hes for the Rockingham county fair next year and on WEndsday my moms taking me to the show for this years fair to get an idea of what i'll be doing.

linnettejane

thats a great idea...watching the show before you go...and dont forget to watch the showmanship classes as well....

best of luck to you!  <cowboy>

Simmymom1

That is a great idea that your mom is taking you to the show.  Try and go to as many shows that you can to learn from other kids that are showing.  If you can go to any clinics or get your hands on some videos on daily care of your steer that would be helpfull.  There are alot of nice people on this board that have alot of knowledge and can be very helpfull, they sure have helped me out in some tough situations.  Good Luck with Apollo!!  

BCCC

If for a market steer class the calves that are the best finish, have the most finish, Will most likely yeild the most red meat, and Most eye appeal are normally the winners, and soundness isn't a real high priority in the market class