New "Voice"

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

I was impressed with the "New DNA Markers for Feed Efficiency" in the most recent Voice.

How do you see this?

To me this will make a good addition to the SEK 2007 Fall Update catalogue of Maines for the commercial breeder.  I can see it as part of the EPD's of a bull used in AI breeding. 

I think fertility, longevity, and gain efficiency are qualities that commercial breeders will be delighted to purchase.  In the future these things will be associated with having black hided cattle, that are structurally sound, have carcass quality and tenderness.  If we can lower feed cost, be more environmentally friendly, and have a great end product we can sell breeding stock.

I also noticed that Steve Robinson had purchased Fred DeRouchey's herd.  I think the DeRouchey family has really contributed to the Maine-Anjou growth.

knabe

i'm a little skeptical on the feed efficiency genes.

RFI is defined as actual feed intake minus expected feed intake for maintenance and growth. Therefore, an animal with a negative RFI would be more efficient than one with a positive RFI.

heritability estimates since 1996 range from 0.16 to 0.43, (that's quite a range and usually reported on the higher end

studies differ on the effect of carcass quality, which may mean slaughter times may need to be adjusted rather than to not use the markers to reduce costs, methane etc.

to me, this is the most interesting study on it.  chambero notice this one!
http://jas.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/85/6/1479
i was interested in gut flora a long time ago to see if this was a difference, but it would seem to be genetic within the individual that is the difference, which is awesome.

further improvements to reduction of methane can be made with water soluble carbohydrate selection in grasses such as a product called sucraseed which i've mentioned before and planted.  the grass would probably not work well in drier areas, which is somewhat detailed in their literature.  mine is planted where i can give it some irrigation at night during our two month heat period.  in my area, there is some moister available due to a high water table if the roots can get there.  some perrenial rooting systems, alas not perrenial rye, go as deep as 15 feet and can move through clay.  seen this with some of the natives i've planted trapping gophers and digging fence posts and holes for trees (3-4 feet deep).  the annuals are in a zone about 6-8 inches, perrenials go down past my holes with 1-2 mm roots.  pretty impressive.

www.sucraseed.com

Joe Boy

One of my main thoughts on feed efficiency and growth research is that it will take less days on feed to finish an animal and therefore would cost less to produce, since the days are fewer to the finish we would have a finished product that did not produce as much Methane gas.  He was fed less feed and less days, therefore, he is more environmentally friendly.  At least this seems to be logical to me. 

Also, most ranchers and feed lot operators like animals that produce a quality product in less time and with less expense.  This would enhance seed stock operators who have such information is selling seed stock.  That is what appeals to me.  Of course, it has to be prooven that it works first.

aj

There is no doubt in my mind that red angus cattle will run circles around the black hided cattle for feed effiecncy. What does a black hide have to do with anything. Shazam a black hided calf walks into the sale barn. He could be angus or he could be simmental or he could be gelbvieh or he could be limousin or he could be longhorn or he could be maine anjou or he could be anything. The black hided deal is a joke. 55 % of feedlot cattle are grading choice today because of big framed hard keeping cattle. 40 years ago the industry norm was 70% percent. Since the black hideded trend has occured the grading % has gone to heck. Everytime somebody talks about black hided cattle I literally want to puke.

renegade

It takes me a lot less feed to get my herefords to finish than a lot of the black angus here. Have you seen one of the hereford slogans " Black but Better" its simple but gets the point across.  Im right in angus country but recently (especially at the fair) you see more herefords and shorthorns than anything, i think our black craze may be coming to an end

aj

I think the effeincy markers are a good deal. I wouldn't be surprised if herfords scored high in them. I think the cost of corn can dictate what kind of cattle are produced. 2$ corn vs. 4$ corn really changes cost of gain in the feedlot. If cost of gain is running .30 cents,then the big exotic type cattle will work. If cost of gain is .75 cents smaller earlier maturing high marbling cattle work better.

renegade

I have noticed that with the red genetics comes a good disposition, i have had a lot of bad experiences with the black angus around here and noticed that VERY few have a good disposition.