New York Times Article

Help Support Steer Planet:

KCK

New York Times Article
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/31/opinion/31sat4.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

minimoo38

thanks for the article.

some of these tree-huggin, peta-lovin, tofu-fartin-faries need to actually do some research and get off of their high horse. (oh sorry. riding horses for pleasure is probably inhumane.)  :p  ::)

i'd like them to share their secret of where they are finding the cheap grain. corn is 5.65 here.

Ruchian

minimoo38 said:
i'd like them to share their secret of where they are finding the cheap grain. corn is 5.65 here.

5.65 for a bushel doesn't sound that bad right now.  I don't know what it is right now but I know that it was over $6 for a while

DL

KCK said:
New York Times Article

at the suggestion of a friend I have been reading the Pew report - while the NY Times editorial uses some inflammatory and sensational words it (IMHO) fairly accurately reflects the basic "findings" of the Pew Report. With the prestige of the Pew Foundation, and what appears to be balanced experts and contributors responsible for the report, it suggests to me that now is a perfect time for us (whoever us is) to actively and aggressively develop a PR campaign. I have believed in the past that many of the views of the animal rights groups, anti big ag groups etc were based on ignorance and preconceived notions that were (when examined) irrational - this report significantly decreases the "fruit loop" factor of these groups - we should be worried

the whole report-all 124 pages- can be downloaded from the Pew Charitable Trust webpage as a pdf. This report was a collaboration between Pew and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg school of public health-  this isn't our typical piece of subjective, wacko writings.

Here is the direct link: http://www.pewtrusts.org/uploadedFiles/wwwpewtrustsorg/Reports/Industrial_Agriculture/PCIFAP_FINAL.pdf

124 pages includes a lot of pictures and blank space, and it's quite readable

knabe

first manufacturing, then oil, then food.  then the collapse of small business (under 25 employees).

imagine the devastation caused by brontosaurus tromping around in a swamp pooping and peeing.  no wonder they went extinct.

human activity should simply be outlawed.  if only we could reverse respiration and turn ourselves into plants.  yet we keep increasing our population.  why?  to me it can be only one thing.  there are simply still too many people who believe in liberty.  the only way to defeat them is through demographics.  more dead founding fathers should vote.  sadly it's only the dead jeffersoninans who are voting.

here's what's coming from the left as far as what progressive really means.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/06/04/cathedral.sex/index.html?eref=edition

A man and a woman have been charged by police in Italy after they were found having sex in a confession box, it was reported Wednesday.

The Italian ANSA news agency said the young man and woman were taken into custody by police in the northern city of Cesena following a telephone complaint from a man attending morning Mass in the city's cathedral.

Authorities were alerted after a parishoner heard "rustling and groaning" coming from inside the confession box and pulled back the curtains to reveal a goth-rock couple engaged in oral sex, ANSA said.

The agency said the pair -- a 31-year-old laborer and a 32-year-old teacher -- defended their conduct saying: "We are atheists and for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place."

However, Bishop Antonio Lanfranchi of Cesena-Sarsina took said the couple's behavior was "an outrage of notable proportions which bespeaks unutterable squalor."

He added that a special ceremony would be held to purify the confession box.

Dusty

KCK said:
New York Times Article

This article was wrote by a typical eastern establishment left wing elitist.  They just don't get it.  Hogs in a confinement are actually pretty comfortable.  Not keeping them comfortable is actually counter-productive.  A comfortable animal will eat more, gain more, and thus make you more money.  A lot of money is spent to make these buildings comfortable for hogs.  People that write these articles have obviously never been in a hog confinement.  They are fairly cool in the summer, when it gets hot the misters kick on, there are no flies in the buildings.  The hogs lay around and eat, sleep and crap.  A hog couldn't be happier in this enviroment.  The manure is contained in a pit and then injected into the ground as fertilizer, nothing wrong with that.  Like I've said before trying to appease these people is like negotiating with terrorists.  We should not do it.

This reminds me of the book Atlas Shrugged when the producers of society go on strike because of gov't regulation of their businesses for the betterment of society. The producers sit back and watch society crumble......

knabe

i guess they didn't see the koolaid where free range chickens were under more stress than the confined ones.  only one rule is required, does it fit the agenda.  these people self confine themselves to cities.  it's time to cut them off and see if they can grow food on cement.

these are the same people who are giving us hydrogen powered buses at over 50 times the cost per mile of diesel.  all at taxpayer expense, and they want more.

Rocky Hill Simmental

What happens is animal rights activists find a worst case senario of a farm and convence city dewellers that all animal agriculture is "inhumane."

Like on that episode of Oprah with the puppy mills. You know they went to the dirtest puppy mill they could find. It's not like they'd take secret videos of a clean one with all the dogs in good health.

No matter what happens there's always going to be someone not raising an animal correctly. I know that most farmers and ranchers care about their animals and the animals are healthy and happy as can be.

Here's a fun way to think about it.. have you ever saw those "Animal Cops" shows on Animal Planet? Most of the videos on those shows are in very urban areas. If people from rural areas were as guillable about animal husbandry as city slickers were then we'd think that everyone from the city who owns a dogs/cats mistreats them because we saw it on television.

A lot of people need to step back and look at the big picture. Just because PETA has a movie of a sick pig being abused (or whatever) doesn't mean that all pigs in the United States are unhealthy and mistreated.  :p