Newb here...

Help Support Steer Planet:

jlingle

Well lemme introduce myself.  I live in SW Oklahoma, and my dad has been raising show calves for several years.  I guess he's doing pretty well at it, even though he has a relatively small herd of 30 or so cows.  I was the kid in high school who always wanted to show calves, but we just never had the money to get it done, so I was destined to only show hogs.  Oh well.  Now I'm raising kids and after 1 year of getting our hind end handed to us, the kids want to move on and show calves.  With my dad raising show calves, I think I'd be a fool not to take advantage of the situation if the kids are willing to do the work.  My daughter is 9, my oldest son is 7, and praise the Lord we have a healthy 5 month old son who will be following in his brother & sister's footsteps as well.  My dad has been looking forward to being the "pawpaw" who raises calves for grandkids for a long time.  I wanted the kids to show hogs for a year, to gauge how hard they would work & their level of dedication.  They passed with flying colors.  They worked hard for 5 months, and even though we were pretty certain the hogs weren't going to be able to compete well at our county show, they stuck it out and saw it through.  I refuse to be the dad who does everything for their kids.  Yes, I know I'll need to be there to handle a lot of the dirty work, but they're gonna work their tails off & we're gonna do things as a family.  If I have to do it all, we aren't gonna do it.  Call me ignorant or old fashioned, but I don't think the show animal process is for dads to see who can raise, feed, and prepare the best calves.  I believe it's about teaching kids to do the best jobs they can do, take responsibility for the care of an animal, and then do a great job showing.  If my kids can do that, I'll be proud as punch even if we get trounced. 

Here's my problem & the reason I'm likely to drive you folks nuts.  I have never shown a calf in my life, and know precious little about the process.  In order to get a jump on things, we plan to try to attend one of Stierwalt's clinics this summer & learn all we can.  I quite literally own NO equipment, and will need some advice on what to purchase for the journey.  Dad has some fairly decent facilities & is raising some pretty good calves, but I need a little insight on what to purchase for show equipment. 

I thought I had a family lined out to sell us their show equipment, but they're having second thoughts about getting out of showing steers.  I can't blame them a bit, they do a fantastic job feeding one out, for sure.  In yalls opinions, where would be the best place to purchase some equipment, and should I only buy new stuff (it'll need to last a long time) or would it be alright to pick up some used stuff?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

RSC

Ask any question and you will normally get great advice on this board.  To get good at showing cattle, daily care of the cattle and their hair coats is very important.  In the forum link above, go to the Hall of Fame.  There in that link labled Mixing Clean Sheen, a great place to start on how to save dolloars and still prepare the cattle properly on a daily basis.

(welcome)

Tony

JoeDirt

(welcome) (welcome)

It will cost alot to buy all the stuff even if it is used

My Ideas is this BUY CLIPPER with blocking and blending blades,  Buy a blower.  These are a must!  then you can barrow a clipping chute that someone wiill let u use.

You will need some sprays and paints.

This is one idea to keep the price down for your first year

Davis Shorthorns

(welcome)  I would try Ebay for some good cheaper things.  I did really well on a set of clippers.  Also used stuff from sullivans is a good cheaper way to go.  Got a really nice set of clippers and a blower from them for bout 1/2 price.  Also just watch on here sometimes people are looking to upgrade what they have and you can get some really nice stuff.  Hope this helps.

jlingle

I've been watching ebay to try to find some deals.  To be pretty honest, there's about ten zillion different types of clippers out there now & I am not sure what to look for.  I'm sure that's a personal preference thing, but after looking on ebay for clippers they all seem to be running together.  I had a fella email me wanting to sell me a nearly new set of Oster Showmaster clippers.  I just dont' know much about their regular price, and all that jazz.  Also, will I need more than one set?  One set for general clipping, and one set for more detailed stuff around their head & legs or something?

jlingle

Thanks for the warm welcomes by the way. (thumbsup) 

This is a cool website.  I lurked for a bit before I joined.  Yall seem to be a knowledgable bunch, for sure.

showsteerdlux

As far as clippers, I'd stick with the Andis 2 speeds for body clipping, and the Oster Showmasters are good for heads, sheering, and tails. As far as equipment, the most important would be a good blower, and as RSC mentioned a good hair care program.

Davis Shorthorns

to get an idea of what you are going to be paying go to sullivans website www.sullivansupply.com and order yourself a catalog.  Then to find out what kind of clippers to get I would start off with a set of Andis 2 speeds.  I think that I payed around 89 for them new on Ebay and they are about 139 in sullivans.  A great way to figure out what you will need is just start going to shows and look at what everyone is using and watch them for a while to see what they are doing with it.  

DLD

(welcome)

I'm in sw OK, too (near Anadarko).  Feel free to pm me if you'd like to visit.  

Check out  http://www.blueribbonshowsupply.com/  .  There's also Showmans Choice in Lawton,  just across the road from the Coliseum.

As far as the clippers go,  I'd start out with the 2 speed Andis - you can get blades for them to do everything from clipping heads to blending and blocking all over, even heavily glued legs.  They're inexpensive, and lightweight and easy to use (especially helpful in smaller hands).  I own several sets of clippers of various types, but I rarely use anything but the Andis.

OH Breeder

http://cgi.ebay.com/Andis-AGC2-Ultra-Edge-Professional-Clipper-New-22405_W0QQitemZ270355727671QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270355727671&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

hear is a good set

for the clinic do you plan on taking a calf or just gong. Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get one of those plastic divided trays with handle in middle. Set of clippers couple blades. you will need some combs as well. Stierwalt is excellent Great place to start. the DVD's are good to pull out and watch again and again. I also advise going to as many shows as you can to watch people groom. Large or small just get to some shows. Ask questions. Most folks are pretty friendly and will offer advice as to why they are doing what they are doing. I was kind of a pest or "that weird guy" asking questions at shows when we got back in show cattle few years ago. No question is stupid and if you are thinking likely so are other people.

Clippers
Blades
Comb
carrier
oil- light clipper oil or Final bloom- Pink Oil
There are several discount variety of oils that can be bought at Walmart that are cheaper than some supply places.

Welcome to the ranks. You gotta be a little crazy to enjoy it. But it is the most fun we have as a family!

Jill

If you don't know what you need and are going to attend Steirwalt's clinic I would suggest emailing him and have him make you a list of the clippers and blades he suggests you use and that will save to having to buy them twice!
If you are a good fix it guy theres a lot of used stuff out there for sale.  I guess for me, anything electrical I would purchase new like clippers and blower, if you can find the rest of it used that would be a plus. 
Cattle is a huge initial investment, but most of it will last a lifetime so if you think of it as an investment in you kids future it isn't so bad.