Newbie Looking to get started

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cada22

I have owned commercial cows for many years and usually work a group of heifers every year to sell as replacements. I am looking to go a different route aside from that and have stumbled onto this site and have liked what I have seen. I have no experience with showing or breeding show stock. I know it is a very long road and I have no expectations of getting rich on this venture. I just want to raise a few good calves every year with a chance of eventually breeding some potential show animals. My child is young and has interest in the cows, but no where near old enough to consider showing. I would like to maybe retain some of the heifers and potentially have them as solid breedstock for when he can show.

I am just looking for ideas on which breed to consider and also opinions on how to get started. Thanks in advance

Simmgal

I would personally recommend Simmental, but I might be a bit biased!

One quick way to start is to follow the sale circuit or get involved with a breeder and buy good ones from the start!

BroncoFan

I would suggest getting a good maternal base whether it's  Simmental or just good functional females that are super sound, will milk and lay down and calve on their own. Some that could handle larger birthweights. EPDs are great but you kinda have to halfway throw them out the window when you start breeding to crossed up clubby bulls. Good luck!

Cada22

I agree with Simmental as well. We have some local contacts and also I think they would sell well in our area as commercial replacements if they are not exactly show quality.

I also see a lot of Shorthorn buzz with show stock. Is the market flooded with Shorthorn?

shortyjock89

Not flooded with good Shorthorns at all. 

Average clubby bred Shorthorns are easy to sell but they're almost completely useless as cows or showing females at a level above county fairs.

We have the best luck selling breeding type Shorthorns, but it's not for everyone and it can be challenging if you're not prepared. 

Cada22

Thank you for that info. I don't believe there is a large Shorthorn following in AL but I could be wrong

trevorgreycattleco

There isn't a large following of shorthorns anywhere. Do your homework. If you want to learn the show ropes within the breed, talk with Mr Olson above.

JoeBnTN

While the numbers of Shorthorns in Alabama aren't extremely large, there is a solid core of breeders and young people showing them.  If that's the route you want to go, I would agree that selecting for a more maternal, commercially acceptable type would be your best bet.  We've sold cattle into the state for several years and  that's where most of the market has been.  There are enough good breeders in the Southeast that could provide you with an animal that would be competitive at the local and state level, and would maintain their value as mature breeding stock.

mark tenenbaum

I agree on the Shorts-and I like Simms too.As long as kids are showing-there will ALLWAYS be Shorthorns. Im an outsider in Al but it also looks from the clubby end that the Teas and Oklahoma cattle are making thieir way up there at shows like the dixie National and certainly Florida.. There are some very good Shorthorns in Tenn. and KY. Like the gentlemen above in this tread-DOC on here,Martindell in KY etc And they are reasonably priced. The beef expo and KY catalogues are on Shorthorn Assoc site. If you have a good number of cows you could also try a few embryos of various cattle too-Blue roans and smokes are strong anywhere-as far as that goes. O0

shortyjock89

Agree with Martindell,  and would add SharBen for legit good Kentucky cattle at reasonable prices.

Parnells are from Alabama I believe and they're making some really nice ones right now.

Cada22

Great info. Will keep doing some homework and see where we want to go next. I have found some simm heifers that I may take a look at soon and see where we can go with them in an AI program. Will be looking at a long process to build a registered herd I'm sure but we have plenty of time. Are there any genetic defects that I should be looking for in Simms?

CRS

We have had the best luck out of our higher % Chi cows.  They are bigger framed and work great on the little clubby bulls.  Most just lay down and squirt one out.  Dispositions are hit and miss though. 

b_kackley

My simmental x angus cows are by far my best cows. They will perform well. You can always put a shorthorn or a Maine bull on them. I agree with others that a solid base herd is a must. My advice is go with a proven maternal bull. For instance uno mas. Just don't make the mistake I did at first and use 10 different bulls on 25 cows. Pick a couple and breed them all to those. Consistency will matter in the long run and on future breeding decisions. If you have the funds I recommend going to a reputable breeder that has what you want at a fair price and volume buy.

Cada22

Thank you KAXX. They is great advice and I believe that I am steering myself in the Simmental direction for the basis of my herd.  I like the idea of having a group of same sired calves instead of chasing multiple AI bulls from the start. Who can recommend any SIMM breeders that could help me out?

Chuck Wagon

I would suggest going to simmental.org and searching for breeders in your area. A lot easier to build relationships with a breeder that is a couple hours drive instead of 20

Cada22

Will check into that for sure. Definitely would like to include their genetics in my herd