newbie, need help breaking show calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

azgrower

Hi,
I recently got my calf on Sunday. Hes a black angus, very nice looking, 710lbs, sturdy etc...show is in late April. Well, hes pretty ornery and knicked the seller twice in the butt. We got the halter on and hes dragging it right now. I figured by Wednesday I tie him up for half a day, and start scratching him and petting him, and hopefully he will start learning to accept me, because at the moment he drops his head and backs away from me when I get near. Im really hoping he settles in soon, because right now theres no way I could go one on one with him, and not have some bruises. Any help is greatly appreciated.

shortyisqueen

Hi!
Everyone has a different way of breaking a calf, so you'll probably get a few different suggestions on the best way to break him. Here's what I would do if he was one of mine.

-Since he's new to your place, I would just leave him be for a probably a week and a half to two weeks. Getting settled in to a place can put a bit of stress on your calf, especially if he has been weaned recently or hauled a long way to get to your place. He has to get used to new food, new water, new surroundings, new cattle, and new people. That's alot of adjustments!
- I always start halterbreaking by putting them in a enclosed space, throwing the halter on them and getting them snubbed to the nearest sturdy post. You should tie him  at neck level (not with his head  up), in case he decides to flop on his side, with about a foot and a half of rope - enough so that when he learns that that rope under his chin doesn't feel so good when he pulls back, and he can come ahead and loosen it a little.    If you have a sturdy helper (parents are good for this), getting one of them to tie him to the fence post the first day might be a good idea.  Don't worry about trying to lead him at this point - The first thing he has to learn is the halter means stop and its better to have him tied to a post than you trying to lead him - He's big enough now that he will not be easy to hang on to, so get him to something stationary and let him take out his frustrations on the fence. To this end, I never allow them to drag a halter, and the only time the halter is on them is during their lessons. They have to learn that the halter means they are doing what you want them to do, not  what they want to do. I believe letting them drag the halter teaches them that when they want, they can just head off to the hay feeder regardless of your wishes...

-When I start halterbreaking, I like to tie them up three days in a row, for about two hours each day. NEVER leave your calf unattended. Its also a good idea to have a knife in your pocket - if something goes drastically wrong and your calf goes down and is strangling, its an in-case-of-emergency to cut them loose. However, I've never had to do this - its just a precaution. During your times tying him up, take a comb and brush out and start working on him. Talk to him and let him get used to your voice. When you can brush him everywhere, including his face and legs, its time to get out the blower. Do be careful around his legs for the first couple of days, as you said he might kick, and you don't want to get hurt. Set up a radio after he's used to you as well. This will get him used to general noise. Since your show is not until April (which is similar to when my 4-H show used to be) you have the luxury of spending lots of time with him. Tie him up on weekends throughout the year and do some work on him. Get the clippers out to get him used to them  and give him a wash (weather-permitting) here and there. It will make things go pretty smoothly when you have to start working with him daily.

Its great that you are getting ready to break him now - the smaller they are, the easier they are on us...and the easier they are to teach!! I hope this information helps and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck with your calf.

fluffer

I agree with the previous poster.  Do be careful, and give him some time to adjust.

You indicate the steer does kick a little.  The best way I would say to handle that would be to start with washing him or gently blowing him instead of combing (especially his legs and belly)  He can kick at the water or the air from the blower and it won't hurt anyone.  One time- for a really bad calf- I put a curry comb on the end of a long handle, like a broom handle.  I put the calf in a small pen in the wash rack (loose) and washed him using the Curry comb in the pole.  I had great luck with that.  I think maybe him not feeling so restrained helped too, but he quit kicking and getting him broke to lead was really nothing after he was used to me washing him.

You may also hunt yourself up a donkey.  It may not get him broke, but it usually takes enough of the fight out of them that they are pretty easy to train.  I am a small person and didn't have parents that knew cattle at all, so I had to find easy ways to get my calves broke.

Good luck with him!

shortyisqueen

If you haven't read this article by Red, go to http://www.steerplanet.com/content/view/26/52/ and take a look. There are some excellent tips here as well that should help you.

chambero

Don't let him drag the halter!

When the halter goes on, he needs to know its time to go to work.

Don't know how long you've had him, but the job is much easier at 400 lbs than 700.

That being said, work with him in small spaces that he can't get away from you.  If one that big learns he can, he's a goner.  Use as long a rope as necessary.

dutch pride

We have had good luck letting our calves drag the halter so I guess what works for some does not work for others. Depending on the calf, we like to tie them up a couple hours a day until they learn not to pull on the halter. Spending time with them is the best thing you can do_Once they accept you as a friend, most of the battle has been won. We had a calf one year who was very ornery and my wife and daughter would just go out to the barn every night and I would tie him about two feet long and they would just talk to him in a calm voice and try very casually to scratch his head or his ears. After about two weeks of this he was very receptive of my daughter and we could then start leading him around the pen at first and then around the lot outside.

Another big help is if he does manage to get away from you while trying to lead him, make sure you catch him again and work with him some more before you put him away so he knows that getting away will not result in freedom. Always wait until you can get him to stand with slack in the halter before removing it.

I cannot stress enough that it takes TIME. More for some than others but don't expect to spend a couple hours on the weekends to break a calf and train him to show.

Good luck and enjoy yourself

Rocky Hill Simmental

I personally like to let them drag the halter for a while (for the bigger ones anyway), but different people have different methods. Just try what you think sounds best and what you have the best facilities for. 

Never let them get away the first time you try to lead them, otherwise they'll keep trying because they know they can. If you have one that's so wild that you can't pull him/her with you and you think you need to tie them to the back of a truck, then you also need to consider if you really want one that wild at a show with thousands of visitors.

Have fun! I hope he makes a great show steer. :)

ba

Give the calf 2-3 weeks to settle in to new surroundings.
What we have done the last couple years was put them
in Small area of the barn with stereo crank up a bit to get
them used to noise. Then go in with show stick and scratch
around an hour or so they find out you are not out to hurt
them. When they start standing around  and let you go down
the back , side belly then put halter on in the chute or walk up
easy none threatening way placing the halter on. It is close to
Kirk Stewart"s booming .When you get him tied use the
stick or (wife or moms)house broom to rub on them for awhile
until they are settled enough to brush.

We leave ours tied down about 18 in off the bedding and carry
water feed to them for 2-3-5 days they figure out where that
come from. Then it is of to the wash gate not necessarily perfect
but to get another stage of handling on them.

The one thing i have seen  is the more hands on the better off
you will be in the end. This is the reason I'm for the fit or the
hair shows.If they work at home it shows down the road kids
and cattle work as a team and this is a family deal.At least you know
where they are when the kids(big ones to) when were at the barn.

strawroanlova

i realize a few posters have said not to let it drgag the halter but yes you should.it will get him used to having it on.i dont no were you live but if its hot rinse him when ever you get the halter on,he will like it and and be look forward to it at the same time it will promote hair growth.get him used to the grooming chut as well,if this is not working rope himm with a lead rope or lasso so you have him caught then put the halter on him.if hes really stubborn tie him to the hitch of a truck and take him around the pasture about 2 miles an hour.message me back about were you live and if yyou are having progrees with what i told you.

farmboy

I'll tell ya a little trick I learned a few weeks ago when I broke a heifer in 2 days....

In our barn we have a square pen, circular or what ever. Use your body as a pivot when they run from you when you have the halter. Just let them go in circles around you and keep pivoting. As they walk, slide up the halter next to their head or as close as you can. When they stop, scratch them till they keep goin and repeat. At the end of your training, tie them up and let em eat out of your hand. Should settle them down and be a little easier to work with.

Another thing is to not be afraid to disipline him. Once you get him able to walk, if he tries that crap again, give him a good swipe with the halter and then scratch him.

Good Luck

azgrower

Wow! Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ok, so, right now he has the halter on, dragging. Tomorrow is his 3rd day at home. Tonite I decided I should jump in the pen(small) with him since i've been talking to him for at least 45 minutes a day and standing next to his pen. I hopped in and all was well, even though he was a bit shy and stayed to the opposite end of the cage and hooved the ground occassionaly and lower his head. Do you think Im doing this right? I think I will keep doing this until he lets me walk close to him. Then I'll get the halter and tie it to a post as directed for a few hours a day and sratch him. Im thinking in about 10 days I should be able to lead him?

P.S. He doesn't want to eat ruffage yet, utah orchard grass to be specific. I'm afraid he will get sick from not eating ruffage, anyways I'll post that back in a few days, he could still be shocked from the move.

tackes

Hi there!
I never let my steer drag the halter...Ever. Then again, he's a pain the a$$ now, and I have problems getting him out of the herd of water buffalos. Anyway...He didn't have a choice on where he was going or what he was doing for the first 2 months I worked with him. As soon as the halter was on, it was on until I took it off (after he settled down, and came to me without me tugging). Then again, you're steer is really big, mine was only 200-250 when I started w/ him; I guess that makes it a lot easier. I've taught him basic commands from day one. He has to 'halter up', 'work', and 'ask'. What is 'ask' you may ask? He needs to raise his nose to mine to get a carrot, apple, or to be allowed to eat grass. Now I just have to teach him to sit... (lol)
Just be careful with him, because I've noticed w/ my steer lately, he is very protective over me. As long as I walk in the pasture alone, he's okay, but if my husband or another man tries to get between Buddy and me, Buddy wins. Make sure that you're the boss at all times. I've gotten great advice on this board for breaking a steer from bad habits, but I learned one thing on my own...Mental stimulation--Don't ever let him get bored!

Oh, and another thing I learned the hard way...Never, ever, ever approach him head on, try to walk up next to him...Trust me on this one.

I see that each and everyone of us has our own opinion on how to break a steer, that's good. You can take a litle from everyone, and your steer will be fine. Keep us updated!