Newbie: Wondering why I don't see any crosses with Limis?

Help Support Steer Planet:

hs1541

I have been out of the show cattle business for over 20 years. My youngest son is wanting a show heifer. After reading several of these posts there dosen't seem to be much interest in Limousin cattle. Is there a reason for this or are they just not very popular in the club calf circle. We have looked at a very nice limi heifer and wanting input on this breed. Thanks for any information. God Bless

BadgerFan

Limis can work in a crossing situation, just find one with a lot of rib and as much bone as you can get.  They'll bring muscling.  You won't find a lot that will work, but the good ones will.  I have 3-4 good crossbred cows with 1/4 to 1/2 LM blood that work very well for club calves.  You MUST mate them right though.  Qdog and Heat Wave have worked best.  The bull must bring hair, bone and softness or you'll get a hard made round hipped one.

advocate

Limis are a good breed that bring a lot of good things to the table muscle lean mainly carcass traits they are less popular in clubby circles due to hair and bone or lack thereof although if u can find a good female shed sure be fun for a young kid starting out smaller division at jackpots

Jill

Ratliff Cherry Creek Limi's out of Westphalia, KS-those kids show some the of the best heifers you will ever see in any breed!

hs1541

Thanks for all the responses. This is really the breed that I wanted my son to start out with. He has plans to breed her in the future just didn't want him to pidgeon hole himself.

BIGTEX

I have a Naughty Pine out of PB limi and she looks great, lost of hair and plenty of middle, still has the bone of a Limi. :-\

I also have some that I bred to Dream On and Ranch Hand hoping for some females.

justme

We had some Limmi's in the beginning but there attitude was so darn nasty that we shipped them.  I'm not saying they are all nasty, just evidently the couple I had.

Beach Limousin

The Limousin breed has ignored some problems in the past, but I believe today's limi cattle bring a lot to the table. As far as the show ring, limis for the most part have the bone, muscle, and structure needed. They do get a little hard for the show ring, but that's also what makes them valueable in the feedlot eliminating yg 3's. There are some limis out there now that are soft enough for the show ring.

shortyjock89

Beach Limousin said:
The Limousin breed has ignored some problems in the past, but I believe today's limi cattle bring a lot to the table. As far as the show ring, limis for the most part have the bone, muscle, and structure needed. They do get a little hard for the show ring, but that's also what makes them valueable in the feedlot eliminating yg 3's. There are some limis out there now that are soft enough for the show ring.

There have been a few PB Limi's, as well as several Lim-Flex shown in Illinois that could flat get it done.

garybob

Beach Limousin said:
where Limi's got my respect, was, when they treated bad dispositions as a genetic defect, and, started disposition-scoring cattle. I was wondering something. Did you have personal experience with Limousin cattle in your younger years?

GB

Burnetaggie99

I have been using Monopoly and Headliner on my Limmy cows and we have had good results. I got some Lighting jack calves due soon that I breed to some full Limmy cows this year. They should calf in July.

hs1541

garybob said:
Beach Limousin said:
where Limi's got my respect, was, when they treated bad dispositions as a genetic defect, and, started disposition-scoring cattle. I was wondering something. Did you have personal experience with Limousin cattle in your younger years?

GB
Yes I did in high school I showed 1 P.B Limi and 1 crossed with a chi. I really liked both of them.

mark tenenbaum

Some of the best (accidental) crosses Ive seen are Limmi-Clubby shorthorn-laff all you want-they were squared up,thick,nice shouldered, and supergood natured-maybe becuz(red) Limmis are one of the few breeds of cattle shorts are not related to.its a crap shoot-but I think Canadian shorts would really cross well-with French style limmis. O0

tama

HS there are some really good Limi's out there-just may take a little effort(and may well be worth it) My kids showed against limi's almost every year with little success in beating them! The family that showed against us did it right fed for the show bred for the show and worked their tails off!! You know when I say it like that they would have been successful with whatever breed they showed!If you can find your way to Wolf's sale catalog they lead the way on performance limi's in our neck of the woods.these guys breed for docility a big plus for young herdsman.And maybe I am falling for the advertising but a show heifer at our place has to work the rest of her life-start with a good product finish with a good product.But HS these are not your limi's from years back these are an improved breed!And if looking to crossbreed I love the limiflex heifers!!    

savaged

I just had a Plainview Lutton bull calf out of my pure bred Limi (last one I have) last night.  She has had a couple of really nice lim-flex calves, but she keeps having bulls when I want heifers. 

Compared to my cross cows my limi crosses are taller and have harder hair, but we have had a couple that over a summer of brushing really get pretty hairy.

Show Heifer

Many haven't seen a good limi. I grew up with them. I have seen the good, the bad, the ugly.  They went through the stage of trying to kill off the breed, and now, they are building it back up. My problem is, they seem to have lost what limi's were known for, while making them into "the standard cookie cutter clubbie" look.  But, a good limi is hard to beat. A really good limi is impossible to beat!!

cdncowboy

I think the limi deal has gotten a bit of a bad rap that doesn't exactly hold water any more.  I still have people tell me there wild - I'm far less cautious around our limi cows at calving time then them darned angus cows.  Of course all the clubby gene pool is made up of the most docile animals to ever walk LOL. Limi's just take a little different attitude to be around and handle queitly.
As far as making steers outta them again they get a bad rap - the couple of best steers I've rasied and sold were limi steers.  But you have to "breed" them, you can't just stick a straw of Heatwave in and hope.  It ain't that easy with them.  The hair thing can be a little tricky - but I've seen some bad haired maines too.  I always felt if they could come up with a bull that fit maybe they'd catch on little better, but the problem with most limi bulls is they are not consistent enough in type on their calves which is an issue.  That said the cows is where to do it with the limis.
As mark hinted through a shot of shorthorn in the mix - hair and little squaring up in the pins.  Then go clubby at them,  the calves may take a little longer to start having the right look but the wait is worth it.  So far the best bull I've used on the limi cows is All About You,  may not get that steer right away but the cows have been pretty good.