Newborn calf issues

Help Support Steer Planet:

ATM OH

We had a calf born Wednesday night. Still has not been able to stand. We are bottle feeding her. Has 1 normal front leg and 1 that just curls under her when she tries to stand. Seems very flimsy and has an odd bend just below the shoulder area. I am finally able to stand her on 3 legs when I help her balance. She has gotten stronger but just not sure she would ever be normal. Am I wasting my time? Very time consuming with 25 more due in next few weeks. We've seen a lot of things over the years but this is very unique.

Duncraggan

We had a calf born Wednesday night. Still has not been able to stand. We are bottle feeding her. Has 1 normal front leg and 1 that just curls under her when she tries to stand. Seems very flimsy and has an odd bend just below the shoulder area. I am finally able to stand her on 3 legs when I help her balance. She has gotten stronger but just not sure she would ever be normal. Am I wasting my time? Very time consuming with 25 more due in next few weeks. We've seen a lot of things over the years but this is very unique.
My opinion, although it sounds harsh, is to destroy the calf. In nature, had you not been there to intervene, the calf would have died. Highly unlikely this calf will recover.
At least the mother will breed back for a 2024 calf.
JMO

rmbcows

Kinda late to the show, but don't give up on her. Maybe try splinting her leg into a straight position using a pvc pipe cut lengthwise. They usually will come out of it rather quickly and you'll probably never know she had a problem. Good luck.

Latest posts