Newborn with Swollen rear hock

Help Support Steer Planet:

MOClubbyGuy

So I have a newborn calf that has a swollen rear hock. She was born yesterday morning and I noticed it yesterday afternoon. What could this be from? She is up walking, running, and doesnt seem to be in pain with it. Want to make sure nothing severe. Please provide your input. Thanks.

leanbeef

Sometimes newborns are kinda crooked and disproportionate...my first question would be, "Are you certain there's swelling?" If there is, my guess would be that maybe the calf got stepped on a little or something like that...if it doesn't seem to bother her, I would just watch her & make sure it doesn't get worse, and hope it goes away within a few days. I think she'll prob straighten up for you, but obviously I can't see how serious an injury we're talking about. If you're really concerned, call a good vet & get a professional opinion.

renegadelivestock

I agree with leanbeef, if she doesn't seem to be hampered by, just keep a close eye on her, my only other suggestion would be to give her a bit of penicillin, if she did get stepped on, you don't want the bruise to go septic, and the penicillin will help prevent that from happening