News law -Changes-to-child-labor-laws-hurt-farmers "UPDATE"

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

The Department of Labor knew what it was doing when it picked the months around harvest, livestock shipping season and hunting season to ask for comments on a draconian new rule that's been in the works for two years, ” Rehberg said in a release after the extension was announced.

i am for any liberal agenda because there just isn't enough of it.  everything they do is right and in the best interest of the country and liberty. re-elect obama and kick the republicans out of office.

i am no longer sick of their agenda and actually love how they poke and prod into every facet of everyone's lives because i just don't have enough time to do it myself.

ba

This the first I have heard of this. I say vote Ron White for Pres Because you just  fix STUPID up there

crown33

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=WHD-2011-0001-0001

Anyone can go to this link and click on the "submit a comment" button to give their opinions on this new law..

Here is some stuff that the law has in it

"Everyone under the age of 18 will be strictly prohibited from any and all acts of animal husbandry. They won’t be able to corral and herd cattle, pigs or poultry. They won’t be allowed to brand, breed, treat or raise animals. They’d be denied access to stockyards, cattle auctions, and feed lots. They can’t pitch manure or feed chickens or cows."

chiangus

What a crock.  I am thoroughly convinced their not a legislator out there who doesn't just seek their own best interests.

The Show

I think it goes without saying that this law is total bull sh!t, but I don't think it will effect us as bad as people make it out to be. I would venture to say that 99% of the "under age" labor is happening on a family-owned farm or ranch. There is no feasible way for them to stop it. You might not see as many under age people working at sale barns or in huge industry leading feedlots. But for the 15 year old kid that loves to show cattle and his family owns a ranch, neither him nor his parents are going do things differently.

When you talk about enforcing it, that's a whole new issue. At a stockyard or huge feedlot that is in the eye of the public so to speak they probably will enforce it because their risking their business if they get caught, but in the thousands of small towns where most of us live the local government is on the same page. Back home where I'm from we show with a few kids whose parents are county sheriffs and ride horses with a DPS officer and his kids. They are going to look the other way because they understand the way of life, and they would rather be taking down drug dealers and murderers not a kid that enjoys showing cattle and taking care of their animals. 

KSUwildcat2009

The Show, the new laws affect almost all family farms because most are incorporated or owned by parent/child(children) or siblings for example.  It makes it that children can only work for operations solely owned by a parent and under the supervision of said parent.  I totally agree with you though, how are they going to enforce it?  The bottom line is that people who don't understand the structure of agriculture and don't live it every day need to stop telling us that do how to get the job done. 

KSanburg

knabe said:
The Department of Labor knew what it was doing when it picked the months around harvest, livestock shipping season and hunting season to ask for comments on a draconian new rule that's been in the works for two years, ” Rehberg said in a release after the extension was announced.

i am for any liberal agenda because there just isn't enough of it.  everything they do is right and in the best interest of the country and liberty. re-elect obama and kick the republicans out of office.

i am no longer sick of their agenda and actually love how they poke and prod into every facet of everyone's lives because i just don't have enough time to do it myself.

knabe your sarcasm is oozing like a lump jaw!

I agree who and or how will they enforce it, but what is this country coming to? And what does any liberal government official think that he or she knows about how we should run our ranch's.

SWMO

I hope that the 4-H and FFA national organizations get on the stick and speak out against these proposed new laws.  This will effectively eliminate 4-H and FFA as we now know it. 

It would be impossible to enforce this law on an individual basis, however, it is highly likely that you would be criminally liable in the event that your child was injured or killed on your farm doing work that is prohibited by this law.  In Missouri, by law, when a child is killed in an accident it is reviewed by a panel to determine if there was any criminal activity or if it was strictly an accident.  So don't think that this law would not have far reaching effects on families.

Big Brother knows best how to raise our next generation of do nothing, overweight, no work ethic, slackers.  I guess the employment agencies and head hunters that have always preferred to hire individuals with a farm background were discriminating against the rest of the population and our government is leveling the field.

twistedhshowstock

This law is totally bull.  And yes it will affect us as bad as people are making it out to be.  So they may not be able to inforce everything that goes on, but how many of you are in some way involved with Youth Livestock Shows. You can kiss those goodbye because nobody would be able to host a Youth Livestock show if this law is passed because it strictly prohibit the children from doing any of that.  EVERYONE needs to contact lawmakers, the DOL, everybody they can and voice their concern over this.  Dont just assume that enough people already are or that you are to busy, because if you do that your way of livelihood may be done for.  Its time for some serious house cleaning on Capital Hill!!!

RidinHeifer

U should all look up the federal register with the actual bill in it it is number 171 in volume 41...unsure on the volume... and see if you can find the loopholes I did!
It's not to hard to find them! Just read very carefully and remember that there many species of livestock like sheep and goats...that are just as dangerous if you don't know what your doing as a bull or stud

outlawcattlecompany

My gosh will the govt PLEASE stop poking their authoritative overreach in things they have no business regulating. IGNORANCE - PURE IGNORANCE

knabe

in reality, this is a jobs, tax revenue bill

jobs to monitor the process (high paying and lifetime benefits and an ever expanding bureaucracy), and tax revenue (avoiding cash basis with children) with better traceability and payroll taxes on the front end and more pressure to import low tech wage earners.

seems like a policy to encourage the creation of slum cities for the laborers and all the problems that will bring just as it's already happening in the central valley in california.

here's more proof the left isn't doing enough.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/12/02/7-year-old-accused-of-possible-sexual-harassment-for-kicking-boy-in-groin/

no one should be allowed to defend themselves.  really, the left sees this as training for removing guns as no one should be allowed to defend themselves, least of all parents against the school administration. 

The Show

twistedhshowstock said:
This law is totally bull.  And yes it will affect us as bad as people are making it out to be.  So they may not be able to inforce everything that goes on, but how many of you are in some way involved with Youth Livestock Shows. You can kiss those goodbye because nobody would be able to host a Youth Livestock show if this law is passed because it strictly prohibit the children from doing any of that.   EVERYONE needs to contact lawmakers, the DOL, everybody they can and voice their concern over this.  Dont just assume that enough people already are or that you are to busy, because if you do that your way of livelihood may be done for.  Its time for some serious house cleaning on Capital Hill!!!
That will never come to pass. Outlawing jr livestock shows would be like saying no one under 18 can play football because too many people get hurt. Some liberal jackass in D.C. that never played thinks its a good law, but in reality, too many people play for fun and will continue to regardless.

Your small jackpot shows always have 30 or so kids, and they'd all be equally guilty for showing. Let someone arrest 30 or 40 kids for doing something they love. That will hit national news and livestock shows will continue.

BarRcattle

They would not arrest the kids, they would arrest the organizers. If the folks that host and organize these are at risk, then they wont have the shows.

From reading the proposed rule change they would also go against the parents or other responsible adult if they felt there was a violation. Just another "good" reason for
HSUS or PETA to secretly tape farms to show how bad we treat not only the animals but our kids. Wouldn't it be great to see a cattle show on 60 minutes
"The serect life of american farm kids"

knabe

40,000 die in cars every year but the won't outlaw them, though they are thinking about it.

many die from alchohol and drinking but they won't outlaw that.

many die from overeating, but they won't outlaw that yet, though they apparently will take away your kids.

they are also using human incinerator's for energy in england and are thinking about it here.  don't think the left won't impose that as well as graves simply waste space.  they could make it just like hsus with both the final housing and the incinerator in the same facility.

go left, i agree with all of it, one just needs to be positive and suspend liberty which is overrated and stupid and really a pox on the environment.

chiangus

Personal responsibility has been long left.  It now boils down to who can I blame and sue.