Nick is leaving

Help Support Steer Planet:

uluru

SRU

Blednock Charity Rosie 3K is sired by Saskvalley Thunder 14G out of Gor-den Charity Rosie 20H.
Dam's sire is Dielschneider Tycoon 9A who is sired by HS Instant Enticer.
She is a well structured roan cow with a great temperament.Great maternal traits.
She has produced 6 progeny-  two females and 4 bulls.
Her 2005 bull calf was the herd sire we recently lost due to getting his nuts stepped on by a cow - Wolf Willow Rocky 6R. - A Major Leroy son.
Unfortunately we did not get to draw Rocky so there is no semen available.
We are really pleased with the calves he left us this year.

I have a great bull calf from him from my Renosa Choice 5K cow.
He should make a super herd sire if he continues to progress as he has this summer.

Another progeny is WW Pilgrim 9P which is a herd sire at Diamond Shorthorns in Alberta.

I have seen her 2006 heifer calf and she looked real good.
Rosie was born in 2000 and is 100% pure. She is from the Rosie cow family.
She is owned by my cousins at McBeth Shorthorns.
She has provided us with a decent bull calf this year from WW Major Leroy.

Hope this helps.
Email me if you require more info.

Cheers..........Bob

shorthorns r us

she looks like a stout ol' rip.  JIT will be disappointed that you didn't say she had an incredible calf by his bull.

aj

I just got done looking at a 1991 genetic horizons semen book. It looked like to me that 65% of the pictured angus sires either had chi or holstein in them. Maybe thats where the big bw's are coming from in the angus. I noticed in the book that the simmentals were red and the maines were red. I still think the most of the purebred industry is missing the baot on raising the right kind of cattle. what are the leading concepts. It is not the most dollars generated in a flush. It should be "the most dollars netted or pounds weaned per cow exposed. This includes fertility, stayability, udders, and etc for a given enviroment. If you average a 700 pound wweaning weight but your conception rate is only 50%, what do you really have? I once heard a wise old rancher say that a dead 110# bw calf has a distressingly poor weaning weight.

DL

aj said:
I just got done looking at a 1991 genetic horizons semen book. It looked like to me that 65% of the pictured angus sires either had chi or holstein in them. Maybe thats where the big bw's are coming from in the angus. I noticed in the book that the simmentals were red and the maines were red. I still think the most of the purebred industry is missing the baot on raising the right kind of cattle. what are the leading concepts. It is not the most dollars generated in a flush. It should be "the most dollars netted or pounds weaned per cow exposed. This includes fertility, stayability, udders, and etc for a given enviroment. If you average a 700 pound wweaning weight but your conception rate is only 50%, what do you really have? I once heard a wise old rancher say that a dead 110# bw calf has a distressingly poor weaning weight.

and an even worse yearling weight! and I believe that the fertility is not that great either ;D ;D ;D

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
Great post justintime. I'm just getting caught up. Reading through the posts I have come up with a few comments I'd like to pass on. Justintime is right we never let the Maines in our herdbook here in Canada, although they got there through the backdoor. Our Appendix Program. That's in my mind where alot of our problems started. This has been a hot topic for years here and yes our forefathers and even some of the old breeders here let some of the Appendix cattle cross over to purebred status. So what did we do? Now they can cross over. You have to be sure when purchasing Canadian Shorthorns from now on to check extended pedigrees to see if there are any crossbreds in them. Hey. At least we aren't crossbreeding to the extent that most breeds are ie. making them black and passing them off as our breed. Please people, tell the commercial breeders you're selling these black cattle to that they are going to get throw backs to Angus traits. I know in this part of the world if breeders did that, they'd quit makin' them black very quickly, and sell more commercial bulls because the commercial man didn't get a scare when a pud calf arrived.
30 odd years ago the editor of our Shorthorn News wrote in an editorial that the time was coming when there would no longer breeds of cattle. Cattle would be defined by colour. Red, black and white. I quizzed him on this a few years ago. He didn't think he'd live to see it, but now he thinks he just might. Good call Bert.
Some may think I am ranting. Maybe so. I've spent all my 40 odd years in Shorthorns and have watched alot of changes in our breed as well as others. I only pray to God that the Shorthorn breeders don't bastardize the breed to the point of registering black Shorthorns

Show Heifer

Cowfarmer, one of the sad days of my life was when I saw black cattle at a shorthorn show.....I agree with Bert, in fact, I would venture to say that today there are no "Purebred" breeds left. And that is a shame. I think each breed has something to offer, maybe heat tolerance, maybe muscle, maybe feed conversion, maybe milk. But if a breed looses its individualality, all is lost. Sad.

shortyisqueen

Its not that I agree with black Shorthorns ...but on other hand, when it comes right down to it...we are all in the business of raising the very best BEEF possible. Steaks in restaurants don't come with tags that say they were registered or purebred cattle -  they come with a quality grade. If we are not utilizing all the genetics we have to raise the best BEEF (including incorporating other breeds into our own in order to speed up this process), are we really do our jobs as beef producers?

As far as the appendix registry goes in Shorthorns,  that there are a few 'straightbred' and 'non-appendix' cattle that are not quite as pure as their papers say either. I would rather have a astericks beside their name or be able to trace their pedigree to an appendix bloodline as opposed to having someone sweep it under the rug and tell me they're straight when they're really far from it. There are very few actual purebreds left, so at least be honest enough to tell me what I'm buying.