Non Cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

JbarL

Lunar Quandary...( for me any way)
1)...how much does a moon rock weigh?
2)...if a 200 pound man has to have lead boots to keep from floating off on the moon....then why dont all the small rocks ( and dust ) just float away as well ??......was watching recent moon footage and noticed when they shuffled there heavy boots....the small rocks just moved awayand the dust went sideways and down ??..
i guess i missed something in physics class??  can some of you college folks help me out....thanks in advance....jbarl

shortyjock89

It's not that he has to have the boots to hold him there, it's that he has to have the extra weight to bring him back down in a reasonable amount of time to make it possible to walk.  If a 90 lb kid stood perfectly still on the moon, they wouldn't float away, but as soon as they exert a force on the moon, they're gonna go for a ride, and it's gonna be a little bit before they come back to the surface.

JbarL

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
It's not that he has to have the boots to hold him there, it's that he has to have the extra weight to bring him back down in a reasonable amount of time to make it possible to walk.  If a 90 lb kid stood perfectly still on the moon, they wouldn't float away, but as soon as they exert a force on the moon, they're gonna go for a ride, and it's gonna be a little bit before they come back to the surface.
that i can grasp....like weighted boyancy in scuba.....hows about the dust and small particals from there boots?....going to be seeing a lot of old moon fottage here in the newar future....that was the first thing i noticed in the older footage...no " rising " debris and dust....thanks ofs...jbarl

shortyjock89

There's no atmosphere  (well, very little) atmosphere on the Moon, so you won't see the turbulence like you will here on Earth.  It's also kind of like in Zero-Gravity when they pour water in the air..it just stays together, same with the dirt on the moon.  I really hope that's right, otherwise my professors would be disappointed with me.

shortyjock89

I forgot to point out that tiny updrafts from your foot are what cause most of the dust when you stomp down here in Earth.  Not quite as easy to do on the Moon.  If we had the same Gravity as the moon, but with the Atmosphere of Earth, the particles would go flying everywhere.

JbarL

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
There's no atmosphere  (well, very little) atmosphere on the Moon, so you won't see the turbulence like you will here on Earth.  It's also kind of like in Zero-Gravity when they pour water in the air..it just stays together, same with the dirt on the moon.  I really hope that's right, otherwise my professors would be disappointed with me.
thanks for the input....i was just really suprised to see how the small " stuff" that was disturbed just settled....no upward....no off we go in space....thats what made me first wonde of the weight and dentisity of moon rocks...obvisioouly more than a 90 lb kid??...jbarl