20-2k
21-3200
22-1950
23-3700
24-1800
25-1300
This is all I sat for.

trevorgreycattleco

I feel sorry for the folks selling at the bottom of this deal. Do you think they were satisfied with what their cattle sold for? I doubt it. IMO they lost money in their adventure and would of been better off to sell the animal as a freezer beef or keep it to breed, sell it at reducers, or be a reciept, somethin. Ahh the costs to run with the big boys. Better get your pencil sharp. (pop)

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
I feel sorry for the folks selling at the bottom of this deal. Do you think they were satisfied with what their cattle sold for? I doubt it. IMO they lost money in their adventure and would of been better off to sell the animal as a freezer beef or keep it to breed, sell it at reducers, or be a reciept, somethin. Ahh the costs to run with the big boys. Better get your pencil sharp. (pop)

Not trying to be mean, but a lot of times what your cattle bring is a barometer of their caliber. There was a lot of cattle in the sale that brought what they should have, & they would have brought that  wether it was at the Futurity, a spring beef expo or privately. I don't think some people are trying to "run with the big boys" per se, they  are trying to get their cattle exposed to the most amount of people at once.  I think the sale manager should screen the cattle ( at a lot of sales) , but so many times they aren't getting enough cattle entered so they take whatever they can get. JMO.

trevorgreycattleco

Doc well said and I agree with you on a lot there. I think maybe there are just to many sales out there. I wonder what lots 4  and 5 would have sold for if they sold  at the Revival? Surely more than 850 I'm hoping. I understand getting your name out there but it sure seems silly. A good cow is a good cow no matter who breeds her. I understand why the little guy can get frustrated very quickly. Spend good money at a "known breeder" and the resulting progeny you sell aint worth a fraction what you paid for. I just see the HUGE difference in the sale and my red flag shoots up. Here I go being the turd in the punch bowl again.

NSF

i know of at least one that sold way under her value. unless something seriously went wrong since early september she was waaaay better than the 2k+ that she brought.

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
Doc well said and I agree with you on a lot there. I think maybe there are just to many sales out there. I wonder what lots 4  and 5 would have sold for if they sold  at the Revival? Surely more than 850 I'm hoping. I understand getting your name out there but it sure seems silly. A good cow is a good cow no matter who breeds her. I understand why the little guy can get frustrated very quickly. Spend good money at a "known breeder" and the resulting progeny you sell aint worth a fraction what you paid for. I just see the HUGE difference in the sale and my red flag shoots up. Here I go being the turd in the punch bowl again.

TG, thats what I was trying to say without sounding like a know it all. Lots 4 & 5 shouldn't have brought much more than what they did at any sale. In my opinion (& thats all it is) they were definitely not show hfrs, maybe with their bloodlines they might grow on out & make good cows. I just don't think they were worth much over $1k at very best. BUT once again that is just my opinion.

mark tenenbaum

I only had one in the Louisville  sale a few years ago-and she was a Sonny-late bloomer-and out of a well known Dunbeacon venture cow. Didnt sell well-but that didnt matter to the people who had her there-they beat me out of that money and roughly $17000 more-along with starving my cows O0 I heard though-that the hiefer really turned around later. Long story short-late bloomers can make better cows in some cases-and arent fat-ruined at a young age O0

oakbar

I wasn't really there to buy heifers but I thought there were several that  sold significantly under what they might have in the breeder's  private sales-- perhaps even the top selling animals in the sale.  I  bid on some of the more expensive heifers but I felt they passed the level they were worth--to me at least!!

I bought the Lot 9 and Lot 22 heifers.  Neither heifer really knocked me out as a show heifer, but, in my mind at least, both heifers were really green and given some time and feed would improve dramatically.  I also liked the bloodlines on both females and felt they could make good additions to our herd even if they never get shown.      Both heifers are settling in well and, as an added plus.  seem to have real "baby doll" personalities.  We'll see what happens over the next few months but  think they both have a lot of  upside potential. JMHO

oakview

The heifers you bought looked like they would work, especially at the price.  There are many, many cattle offered at a lot of sales that have much to offer us 'normal' breeders.  Often they just haven't been pampered like the great ones, but turn out to work a lot better for us in the long run because they've been handled more practically.  I can think of at least 20 head that I would have liked to have purchased this fall for a reasonable price at the sales I attended had I not been so limited in time (and money!)

oakbar

Thanks, Lonnie!!  I didn't think I could go too wrong adding a Passion X AOD and a Revival/Sonny X Tuscaloosa at the price.  They should fit into where we want to head with our program.

I agree with your assessment of the fall sales!!  As I said, I think many of the heifers in the Futurity probably would have brought significantly more if they had been sold on the consignors sales rather than at the Futurity.  Probably good news for some of the buyers, but perhaps bad news for the future of this sale.  Although I think some folks bring a heifer to sell to offset their costs of bringing their other cattle to the show  and to get some exposure for their programs at the same time.  I always enjoy the futurity and seeing how the "group" places the heifers.

Did anyone write down what the embryos sold for on this sale?  I didn't get them.