Nose Bleed

Help Support Steer Planet:

showstick09

So, while I was working with my steer earlier this afternoon, I looked down to realize that he had a nosebleed. It was only out of one nostril and kind of mixed in with  clear snot. This went on for some time, because when I was done working with him and put him back into his pen, it was still bleeding. I haven't ever had this happen before, so I was just wondering would could be the cause of it. He usually eats all of his feed, but this time he didn't.

shortyisqueen

Other than his not eating, is your calf showing any signs of discomfort or sickness? Hows his respiration? If he doesn't eat his next meal, I would start by taking his  temperature and see what you come up with. The first thing that comes to mind is bacterial pneumonia - but your calf will look sick, have a temperature, be coughing and be depressed/weak.

I have also heard that BVD sometimes causes bleeding from the nose, eyes or from  injection sites, but this bleeding is supposedly excessive, making this a pretty unlikely cause. But if in doubt, one of the more veterinarian-ly inclined on this  board  would be able to tell you more about this than I can...

All that being said, if he goes back to eating, looks healthy and doesn't have a temperature, I would simply keep a close eye on him to see if it happens again. It might have just been one of those things, like a human getting a nose bleed, and it may not ever happen again...

justme

I maybe way off...what are you bedding in?  At the Missouri state fair, they bedded in sand.  It was hot, and tons of fans blowing.  Our heifer got really sick there inhaling the sand (according to the state fair vet).  SHe had a terrible nose bleed and a temp.  My poor daughter was a nervous wreck, but she came out of it.

showstick09

justme said:
I maybe way off...what are you bedding in?  At the Missouri state fair, they bedded in sand.  It was hot, and tons of fans blowing.  Our heifer got really sick there inhaling the sand (according to the state fair vet).  SHe had a terrible nose bleed and a temp.  My poor daughter was a nervous wreck, but she came out of it.

We bed in wood shavings. I don't think that would have anything to do with it, because it has never bothered him before. And I would be a nervous wreck too if that happened to my calf at a show. I am glad your daughter overcame it. But I think that I will just take shortyisqueen's advice and watch to see any signs of him being sick. I know he didn't run out of his pen all bucking and farting like he usually does when I let him out. Hopefully is was just like a human thing and won't happen again.