Nose Rings

Help Support Steer Planet:

lpzhittman09

Any Bull i have put a nose ring in was about 8 to 10 months but at the moment i have a steer who has just a temporary plug and that seems to work a little nice, you dont have to wait for the nose to heal up or anything jsut walk em in,  but the first time with it in his nose he will get a little mad and test what the ring will do do. so be careful and good luck.

red

our vet numbs the area first. We rung a bull once & half way back to the barn he laid down to nap.

Red

SSIMMENTALS

Very Informative, but I have two questions:

1) If you have a bull calf being weaned at 7 months, his first show will be at 8 months and he wouldn't show again till 14 months, would you worry with it for the first show or just get him afterwards.

2)If you would do it for the first show, would 1 month be enough time for him to heal up and get used to it?

New to bulls, so these might seem like dumb questions. I know they don't have to be done till 12 months, just wondering if it would be better to go ahead and get it over with or if it would be better to hold off.
Thanks,
Sarah

SeannyT

We only ring show bulls, sometime after weaning. I don't recommend doing it at weaning seeing they are stressed enough. Its not hard to do assuming you know what your doing. We once ringed some bull calves 3 weeks before the show and it wasn't enough for them to heal as they bled a little bit at the show. The temporary rings or "humbugs" are good for training but bulls will get to know when you're going to put them on and can get nasty. When they do happen to get ripped out its usually not messy at all and its usually a surprise when you notice it.
We ring any heifers or cows that are prone to sucking other cows out in pasture. It sure does the trick for stopping that. Anyone else try that?

firesweepranch

We did our bull calf at 6 months because the state fair and district fair required it to show bulls over 7 months. AFA heifers that suck, we had one that nursed EVERYTHING as a bred 18 month old, so we bought that metal plate that hangs in the nose and that did the trick. She wore it for about 3 months, and then lost it somewhere in the pasture, but does not suck on the cows anymore. I liked it better than using a ring because it did not leave a permanent hole if we ever decide to sell her  :)