not a good day

Help Support Steer Planet:

angusboy1

hey every hows it goin to day im not doing to good i woke up and this moring and found my calf died her neck was cut wide open the only thing i can think of is the barb wire fence or a coyote or wolf and we got a few cougars around here but i dont think it was the fence because she was in the middle of the pasture and that looks like where she died at because there was a puddle of blood and i searched the pasture and there was no blood to be found anywhere else

doubled

Oh that is terrible, I hope not that pretty one in the picture, I hate losing cattle of any kind, sure sounds like a critter got her- hopefully at least your farm insurance willl help some

ShowmanQ

WOW!!! Is this the blue calf you just bought? I am truly sorry for your loss. I believe we have all been down the "lost a good one" road.  :'( I know that you probably do not feel like messing with it right now, however finding out the exact reason of death will assist you in adjusting your managment practices to avoid this happening again in the future. Good luck, and sorry about your loss
-Q

txshowlamb

Iam so sorry for the loss read my email and reply back and let me know what you think of that.

doubled

Did you ever have her checked by a vet to make sure what happened???

txshowlamb

I could tell you if it was a coyote or any animal it would have eaten her more than just a slit in the throat especially coyotes from experience they eat what they kill and leave behind bones so I really doubt it was an animal. Maybe she got spooked and ran down the fence which would have slit it open but its really hard to know without being there to see her state of condition. All I can do is give you my opinion on what to do now I have emailed you please get back. Sorry for your loss and hope all turns out OK and hopefully you can still show. Maybe it was just a freak of nature occurrence.

boomer

I am very sorry for your loss. That was the cutest heifer. Let us know what you think happened?