Not Wild Just Will Not Lead

Help Support Steer Planet:

onthegofarmer

We have 2 March heifers we are wanting to show and the will not lead unless somebody walks behind them.  They plant there front feet and that all she wrote.  Any suggestion's?

Bawndoh

Pull to the side.  Catches them off balance and they have no choice but to move.  You also have much more strength over them if you pull to the side.  A calf knows the differnce between a person and a donkey. 

Doc

Bawndoh said:
Pull to the side.  Catches them off balance and they have no choice but to move.  You also have much more strength over them if you pull to the side.  A calf knows the differnce between a person and a donkey. 

Maybe that's why a donkey works so well for me , the calf can't tell the difference!!!  ;D

Bawndoh

Im going to be honest, that was a smart one.  But i still dispise donkeys.  Never used one, never had to, never will.  Broke quite a few calves in a matter of hours without a donkey.

Doc

Bawndoh said:
Im going to be honest, that was a smart one.  But i still dispise donkeys.  Never used one, never had to, never will.  Broke quite a few calves in a matter of hours without a donkey.

If you've never used one, then how do you know they won't work? I've used them & if you know what you're doing you can have good results. I don't use one on every calf ,but if I get a real stubborn one I won't hesitate to hook'm up.

Bawndoh

I know someone who uses them all the time.  Does not seem to work, as the poor calves make a scene at the 4-H Achievement day every year dragging them around.  Also saw a bull calf that had a huge lump on his chin from being dragged around by the donkey for three weeks.  He was still the most useless, stubborn calf around.

Doc

Different stroke for different folks. If someone used a donkey for 3 weeks, then either they didn't know what they were doing or they were more stubborn than the donkey.

BCCC

I've used a donkey and they work great never had one go lame or anything else. They are always very well broke also

TJ

I can usually break calves within a matter of hours too.  Matter of fact, I just broke a 18 month old bull, in 30 minutes, the other day & he had never seen a halter before in his life.   The guys helping me were in complete shock.  

With that said, if done correctly, a donkey and/or a tractor can take some stuborness out of a calf.  But, you have to use them correctly.  Using a donkey for 3 weeks isn't using one correctly.    

You may not have to use either with your cattle, and I don't with mine, but that's the only way that you can break some Chiangus cattle & other continentals.  

Cattledog

Doc said:
Different stroke for different folks. If someone used a donkey for 3 weeks, then either they didn't know what they were doing or they were more stubborn than the donkey.

I have a donkey but haven't used her yet.  I guess I breed a lot on disposition as well as for phenotype.  I used to breed to bulls regardless of the stories that I had heard.  After the bruises and torn up gates and fences I pay more attention to the attitudes that I introduce to my herd. I  personally think that having a donkey around our cows makes them more calm.  With this said, I agree that having a calf tied to a donkey for three weeks is not how you use a donkey.  If I do have a calf that is really hard to break I won't hesitate to use my donkey.  

yuppiecowboy

I am going to say this in the most polite way possible... If you are are 13 years old and dont know squat shut up before you hurt somebody.

Doc

yuppiecowboy said:
I am going to say this in the most polite way possible... If you are are 13 years old and dont know squat shut up before you hurt somebody.
I don't know who is 13, I can assure you I'm unfortunately not. I do know squat about some things, just not everything.

Cattledog

Doc said:
yuppiecowboy said:
I don't know who is 13, I can assure you I'm unfortunately not. I do know squat about some things, just not everything.

I was 13 once.  Life was a lot easier back then.  All I did was work with cattle, go to shows, and go to school. Now I have an eight week old daughter, a job that I work about 55 hours a week at, and I try to squeeze in my cattle for relaxment.

kanshow

I'm 13 - several times over!!!!      Sometimes I don't know squat & sometimes I do.   

Our youngest's bucket calf this summer was like that.  He would stand tied for brushing, washing, petting, & lots of loving on.  But that calf would not lead to save his soul.  We tried everything to get him to move - would've put him on a donkey if we'd had one.    I just figured it was because he was a bucket calf & all that.  Hubby said it was because his poor mom had been the same way.  She was one of those that you had to push out of the way.  I dunno, we turned him out with some other weaned calves in hopes his attitude would change.  We'll give him one more chance as the middle kid wants him for a market steer next year. 

inthebarnagain

Take all halters off for a couple of days so they can get the feeling back in their chins and then use a halter that has a big ring for the rope to slide through so that when there is no pressure from you pulling the halter will completely loosen up.  They will quickly associate the pull and release with moving forward and getting rewarded by the pressure being off.  Conventional halters won't loosen up and if you let then drag them then you are confounding the problem. 

Dusty

I knew a guy that had a steer that didn't lead well, more because of structure reasons he simply did not like to walk.  They would lead him around with someone behind with one of those handheld buzzers and when he stopped or was walking too slow they would give a him a little zap.  It took them awhile to get him trained to it, but it ended up working pretty well.  Just make sure you have one of the ringmen walk behind your calf so the steer will think he's gonna get a jolt if he doesn't move.

drew06

i have always had at least one like that every year it seems. i've never used a mule, but my truck works well. use the ring slip halter and ty them on your bumper hitch. walk beside them with your hand in lead position. drive very slow and if you htink they are going down, stop. after a day or two they are so tired they dont want to put up a fight. always worked for me. every body breaks cavs differently. good luck!  oh and if you have cavs that are broke try walking them beside her