Nurse Mate ASAP for Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

anyone ever used this product?  would it just be for calves that have a rough birth(hard pull, etc)  or would you give it to all calves?  would it be that beneficial?

this is the product description...

An appetite stimulator/first milk supplement containing special proteins, vitamins & lactic acid-producing bacteria to help get newborn calves up and nursing A.S.A.P. Calves then receive the benefits they need from mother's colostrum. Administer 1 tube as soon after birth as possible.

here's a link to where i found it...

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/details/Nurse-Mate-ASAP-for-Calves/437-15.html#fragment-1

any comments appreciated

loveRedcows

Sounds like it certainly wouldn't hurt them.  For years we have used a product called nutri-drench on calves that look like they could use a boost.  It's a liquid vitamin with propylene glycol & is absorbed within 15 minutes.  May not be for everyone, but it's sure worked for us.

jackpotcattle

This product is made here in SD over at Brookings (home of SDSU). We use it on any calves we pull and when the weather is wet and nasty we give every calf one. I guess it sure appears to get the calves up and going so it works for us.

jbw

Great Stuff, It works very well in a pinch.  I always have some with me in the truck. When a calf is born at dark and I am not sure if he has sucked I give him a tube and check on him in the daylight. I like it better than a drench, the calves don't fight it. We also give anything that we pull a tube.

There is another product that I have used, it is in a yellow and white bottle with blue writing,can't think of the name.  Anyway, it is a blue powder that you mix with warm water and makes a sticky goo, That stuff will bring 'em back from the dead!!

aj

Wonder if hurts if the product gets froze(overnight in pickup) say? I always drenched a pulled calf or even one dropped at son down and I was worried about calves survial. I used colostrix. Then you know the little guy got something and you can go to bed.

TLM

jbw said:
Great Stuff, It works very well in a pinch.  I always have some with me in the truck. When a calf is born at dark and I am not sure if he has sucked I give him a tube and check on him in the daylight. I like it better than a drench, the calves don't fight it. We also give anything that we pull a tube.

There is another product that I have used, it is in a yellow and white bottle with blue writing,can't think of the name.  Anyway, it is a blue powder that you mix with warm water and makes a sticky goo, That stuff will bring 'em back from the dead!!
jbw said:

There is another product that I have used, it is in a __yellow and white bottle with blue writing__ can't think of the name.  Anyway, it is a blue powder that you mix with warm water and makes a sticky goo, That stuff will bring 'em back from the dead!!

I'M ALWAYS INTERESTED IN OTHER'S  SUCCESSES.  WHAT'S THE PRODUCT
NAME AND WHERE TO FIND THE YELLOW & WHITE BOTTLE WITH A BLUE POWDER ?

jbw

The product is called Restart.  I will try to find out who makes it.

REM

I agree with everyone else that this is a good product. I would add that warming it it hot water makes it eaiser to give and it also helps if you give it to a scouring calf .

Latest posts