Nursemate ASAP any experiences?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

One of our commercial producers was telling me that he was having good luck using Nursemate ASAP, on his stressed newborns.  product made by Sterling Technology, Brookings SD.  It is not a replacement to colostrum rather an addition.

Has anyone else used this product? and if so what are your thoughts? 

Top Knot

I have not used the Nursemate ASAP (didn't know about it), but I do use the Nursemate powdered colostrum supplement when I have stressed calves, delayed nursing, twins, delayed milk letdown, etc. The Nursemate colostrum supplement is easy to mix, economically priced, and had a higher fat content than other brands (why I first gave it a try). I would say a reputable company with quality products. Not sure I would spend $7.00 on every calf if they're able to get up and nurse right away. I'd be interested in hearing from people that do and if they see a reduction in scour incidence.

SWMO

No, I don't think it is what you would keep to use on every calf born.  However, it is designed to get the calf up and going.  I believe that the B-12 is to stimulate appetite.  I am interested in using it on those calves that are born stressed due to bad weather.  it is intended to assist in the absorption of colostrum and stimulate appetite if I am reading the label correctly.

I have had several people tell me that they are firm believers in this product.  Just interested in seeing if any steer planeteers had any experience with it. 

Seven dollars isn't much to spend if it saves a stressed calf.  What's that calf worth at the sale barn at weaning?

BRdoc

I calve out my AI cows, and heifers, in a trap directly behind our house. I have given every one of these Nursemate ASAP for three years now. I first gave it to the few that I had to pull or were in a long delivery. Those calves actually did better than any others. Since then, I give it to all of them. Yes, it's costly. But, to me, it's very inexpensive considering the results that I have seen. I have not had a single case of scours from any calf that I gave it to. That's enough for me.

Gargan

BRdoc said:
I calve out my AI cows, and heifers, in a trap directly behind our house. I have given every one of these Nursemate ASAP for three years now. I first gave it to the few that I had to pull or were in a long delivery. Those calves actually did better than any others. Since then, I give it to all of them. Yes, it's costly. But, to me, it's very inexpensive considering the results that I have seen. I have not had a single case of scours from any calf that I gave it to. That's enough for me.

same here!! whats $7-$8 on calves these days?

Mueller Show Cattle

I have never used Nursemate ASAP, but I don't have a problem spending $10 a calf on colostrum or $6 or $7 on the Nursemate ASAP. I have been drenching most of my newborn calves that I catch rite after they are born with Colostrum and it seems that they are up and moving pretty quickly. I know they will get colostrum from the mother also but a double dose don't hurt them. My question is do you think it is better to give them the Nursemate ASAP or just give them the colostrum which I know is $3 more a dose of Nursemate ASAP. I have not had any cases of scours either for all the calf I had drenched with colostrum, so I don't have a problem spending $10 a calf on colostrum, would it be better to just spend the $7 on the Nursemate ASAP and that should be good?

firesweepranch

OK, so after reading this thread I decided to buy some of this stuff. Every calf this spring has gotten scours days from birth since we built a barn. We almost lost one a few weekends ago. I only have had one calf since I bought it, but gave it to her at birth and so far, at a week old NO SCOURS! Of course, I want to see it in a few more calves, but I like the fact that it seems to be working. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

linnettejane

I'm sold on this stuff...been using it several yrs now!  Gets them up and nursing if they have had a difficult birth. I give it to any calf that's been pulled or out of a heifer