Nutrition

Help Support Steer Planet:

Farmboy2014

I was wondering what i should be feeding my show cattle. Purple Bound? Purina? Show-rite? Showmaster? or should i just mix my own? If i should mix my own, does anyone have a good ration?

twistedhshowstock

I say this all the time...as far as quality all of the big names are actually a lot more equal than a lot of people want you to believe.  Sure some people have their favorites and one they have had more success on, but with every brand you can find people who have had success.  It has a lot more to do with your routine and how much effort you put into it than it does with what brand your feeding.  It doesnt matter how big of a name brand you use, if it isnt fed right and to the right animal then it isnt going to work. As far as mixing rations, these days you can often times mix quality feeds a lot cheaper than buying a complete feed. If you should do it or not depends on how available someone is to mix it, if they are reliable, if they do a good job, and if they have fresh feed stuffs readily available to them.  If you find someone that will mix for you, often times you can take them the feed tag from one of the name brands and they can match it, or several of us can give you good rations to mix, they are all a little different depending on region and grains available, etc though.
I think the more important thing to consider than what brand to feed or to have your own feed mixed is availability of fresh feed.  For instance, if you have feed mixed for you, most people require you to purchase at least a 1/2 ton if not a full ton at a time.  How many calves are you feeding, will you be able to feed it fast enough to not risk it going stale or molding on you?  Same goes for the name brands, talk to your local dealers, find one that works well with you and insure that they are rotating their stock regularly and getting fresh feed in regularly.  You dont want to be the only one feeding a particular feed and have them ordering a ton of it at a time and sticking it in the back of a store room.  You want to insure your calf has fresh, clean feed all the time in order to optimize their potential.

Farmboy2014

I'm feeding one heifer as of now.  Possibly another heifer, or two and maybe a steer within a month or so.

rtmcc

twistedhshowstock said:
I say this all the time...as far as quality all of the big names are actually a lot more equal than a lot of people want you to believe.  Sure some people have their favorites and one they have had more success on, but with every brand you can find people who have had success.  It has a lot more to do with your routine and how much effort you put into it than it does with what brand your feeding.  It doesnt matter how big of a name brand you use, if it isnt fed right and to the right animal then it isnt going to work. As far as mixing rations, these days you can often times mix quality feeds a lot cheaper than buying a complete feed. If you should do it or not depends on how available someone is to mix it, if they are reliable, if they do a good job, and if they have fresh feed stuffs readily available to them.  If you find someone that will mix for you, often times you can take them the feed tag from one of the name brands and they can match it, or several of us can give you good rations to mix, they are all a little different depending on region and grains available, etc though.
I think the more important thing to consider than what brand to feed or to have your own feed mixed is availability of fresh feed.  For instance, if you have feed mixed for you, most people require you to purchase at least a 1/2 ton if not a full ton at a time.  How many calves are you feeding, will you be able to feed it fast enough to not risk it going stale or molding on you?  Same goes for the name brands, talk to your local dealers, find one that works well with you and insure that they are rotating their stock regularly and getting fresh feed in regularly.  You dont want to be the only one feeding a particular feed and have them ordering a ton of it at a time and sticking it in the back of a store room.  You want to insure your calf has fresh, clean feed all the time in order to optimize their potential.

I totally agree with Twisted.  Fresh is so important.  Working with your local feed store is usually your best bet.  We feed our own base  mix and get two ton at a time in bulk.  We add different things to this base for each animal or group depending on what the need.
As far as coming up with a ration, there is no "one size fits all" ration.  There is a huge difference between feeding an Angus or Hereford and a Heatwave daughter.

The father of a very successful family in the upper midwest once told me " feeding is learned, not taught."  He is so right.  The really good guys feed "by the seet of their pants" based off experience.

Work with your local mill.  They are a great resource and all the big brands have the resources/consultants at the corporate level to help your local mill do a good job for you.

Good Luck!
Ron
<cowboy>