Nutty Horse

Help Support Steer Planet:

savaged

My daughter's horse (a middle age gelding that when handled and she showed him at the fair was just really easy going), has lost his mind.  He has been out with the cattle all winter, and now absolutely refuses to let anyone get near him, and will even try to run through fencing!  He has never been mistreated, but now acts like we are going to beat him.  I have a couple of people interested in buying him, but I can't get him out of the pasture.  He won't come to feed, or come in with the cows either.  I even tried separating him from the cows over night with a gate open that would allow him to get near them.  He will not even think about entering the smaller lot.    I'd swear it was a different horse.  HELP!!

showgirl2010

Never have been too good with horses, usually loose my temper.  So I'll just leave the advice givin to someone else, but good luck.

Jamie

ROAD WARRIOR

If you have access to another horse try bringing it to the smaller pen with the gate open. Horses are herd animals and given the choice they tend to like to be with their own kind. However be prepared to remove the strange horse quickly as sometimes the first meetings can be somewhat violent. I would probably build a small pen inside the other small pen out of corral panels if that is possible. Good luck! RW

cowz

What part of the world do you live in?  Do you already have green plants in your pastures?  What you described sounds like "loco weed".  Horses cannot tolerate it and they act totally nuts after eating it a few times.

Keep us posted!

ELBEE

Horses are;

Herd animals
Flight animals
Humans are NOT natural allies, (we are predators)
A horse will NEVER be your Friend
Horses know when you want to catch them

We raise and train Paints, some of gentlest, quick learners around. And whats going on at your place is not unusual. Your horse has already learned you'll give up and go away if he makes life difficult for you. NEVER quit what you start with a horse, it'll take 10x longer the next time you try!

Here's what I'd do;

Set aside all the time you need, (all day and all night if necessary)
Remember "pressure and release"
Get the cows out of the way (or he'll run them to death)
Make a path to, or build some kind of pen he can NOT escape from

Absolutely no anger, no fear,it's just a job that has to be done, start forcing him to the pen. When he gets tired, and realizes you won't give up, he'll come in  Expect many, many tries, you may have to walk 20 miles. I use a dirt bike, BUT I've done this for 30+ years, and now all I do is ride out and they all come running in to the round pen. I must also add that I give them one opportunity to be caught in the open, on foot. It works about half the time!

When you accomplish this, I'll give some ideas for getting your hands on him. But I don't think it'll be a big problem.   

bradycreek

Been round lots of horses in my life.  This as stated above isn't that uncommon for a middle aged horse to sour. Anyway you can walk a horse down.  What I mean is that since he is broke and has been handled you can just start after him (not chasing) but when he goes that other way you just follow him till he gives up and you can halter him.  I've seen some in our pasture it took 20 min and others it took half a day.  You can follow on another horse, and just throw a loop over him and pony around.
I agree don't start to try and catch if you can't finish the job makes a soured horse.  Had one a few years ago couldn't catch.  I saddled another horse and just followed him around. Not chasing only walking.  He would run all around but I still just kept up a steady pace. After about 45 min he was walking next to me and I just tossed a loop over em.  If trying to rope one get a cowboy if you don't know what your doing. Roping a horse is not any tougher than roping a cow but once he is caught sometime you find out how good the one your riding is.
Anyway I have and I have seen my father just on foot walk a horse down keep after him with a steady pace. Don't try and drive or herd him just keep walking eventually I'll bet he will submit and you can halter him.  If going to use a dirt bike or 4 wheeler I would still stress not to chase only follow.  At some point you will have to get off and approach. You will probally have to do this several times before he will let you catch him.
Bye the way get the cows up while doing this as with them out there with him will only cause headaches and delay the process.
Good luck
dh

knabe

ELBEE said:
I must also add that I give them one opportunity to be caught in the open, on foot. It works about half the time! 

they will remember this.  just watched a show about wild horses and it took a mare about a year to finally submit to a stallion, and then the whole band was happy.

Simmymom1

Once you do get him caught, I would tie him up for a while (couple of hours) and then try and get my hands all over his body without putting you in harms way.  You are going to have to reprogram him and let him know that it is a good thing to be around humans again, not a bad thing.  If you have a round pen away from the cows I would then take him out there and work him in that for some time.  In my opinion he would not be ready to "show" to a potential buyer for at least a week or so.  Just take your time "getting him back" to where he needs to be mentally.  Good Luck!!

dori36

savaged said:
My daughter's horse (a middle age gelding that when handled and she showed him at the fair was just really easy going), has lost his mind.  He has been out with the cattle all winter, and now absolutely refuses to let anyone get near him, and will even try to run through fencing!  He has never been mistreated, but now acts like we are going to beat him.  I have a couple of people interested in buying him, but I can't get him out of the pasture.  He won't come to feed, or come in with the cows either.  I even tried separating him from the cows over night with a gate open that would allow him to get near them.  He will not even think about entering the smaller lot.    I'd swear it was a different horse.  HELP!!

Everyone who has responded has good points.  I'd add this thought:  since he seems willing to run through the fence, I'd also consider that he may have developed some eye problems.  May be able to see just enough to know you're out there but has some real fear about leaving his familiar area.  If you can manaage to get him in and find you can handle him, I'd rule out any physical problems along with any mental problems!

savaged

Thanks for the great advice.  I have been around horses just enough to sense that "letting him win" was not good.  I feel better, even though the bugger is still out there.    I don't think we have any loco weed; at least it would be new to me if we did.

I'll report back with hopefully a positive report!