NWSS chooses Aurora

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

"I am shocked and disappointed that the stock show is considering leaving Denver," said councilman Charlie Brown.  Meanwhile, Lucy and Linus were not available for comment.

Okotoks

There's no way it will have the same appeal. The fact it will be all new (concrete, asphalt and steel) will not be an attraction for me. :(

JSchroeder

The news today is just that they picked a different location for the proposed move, not that the final decision to move has been made.  In fact, I'd say that choosing Aurora is going to make a move slightly less likely because it will be harder to convince the citizens of Denver to help them.

edit:I said that based on the news from earlier today but more stories came out this afternoon that make it seem like it's a done deal.

SEA

Please keep us updated as the issue progresses.

Thanks,

JWW

if the NWSS moves, especially far enough away form the current sight, I wonder what will happen to the business at the Butcher Block Cafe, that is about the best place to get a full breakfast around there, its handy, close and fills ya up for a decent price and its not the old boring breakfast sandwich from burger king or mc donalds, it'll be missed  :'(

JWW

Okotoks

JWW said:
if the NWSS moves, especially far enough away form the current sight, I wonder what will happen to the business at the Butcher Block Cafe, that is about the best place to get a full breakfast around there, its handy, close and fills ya up for a decent price and its not the old boring breakfast sandwich from burger king or mc donalds, it'll be missed  :'(

JWW
If they can keep the numbers people will go to see the cattle but the old site is about more than just the cattle. Will they lose some people if the experience is not as great?

Telos

The whole dynamics of the NWSS will change. I can't imagine a decision like this being attractive in the least to Denver. My favorite part is downtown Denver with all the great restaurants.

Gaylord Properties is powerful stuff and personally think would make a carnival of the essence this show or any stock show commands. Never have liked any of their properties. Very generic look and no character. They're known for creating tourist trapes and will own this show.

twistedhshowstock

While it will definately change the dynamic, and I agree the NWSS will not at all be the same if it moved.  But simple math tells you everything cant stay the same forever.  I think the thing they need to keep in mind is that when they do eventually(however sooner or later that is) have to change, is to try to keep the same essence when building the new place.  You can never replace the history in those yards or that colliseum, but I think they should try to replicate them as best as possible.

cowboy8733

I agree, the NWSS won't be the same.  Personally I think that the stock yards should be marked as a historic site, Chicago, Kansas city , and Indy ( though very small by comparison) have all been closed and destroyed. Other than the NWSS, the only one left is Fort Worth, which is a historic site. I can only hope that if it does move, that they keep in mind of the historic value and the tradition that NWSS has become.

oakview

We first showed in Denver in 1976 and it has changed much over the years.  I do appreciate the history and tradition of the NWSS.  We have shown at the Iowa State Fair since 1967 and likewise enjoy the Iowa State Fair and would be disappointed if it changed drastically.  Guess what?  At one point, those facilities were new and there were probably a lot of people that thought they had no character or were too different from what they were used to.  New traditions were built over the years.  We showed at Louisville in the fall of 1975, I believe it was the second year of that event.  It was new and entirely different from any place we had been.  We left Kansas City, traveled to Louisville, and ended up in Chicago on that trip.  All three places were unique.  It was obvious that Kansas City and Chicago were the places with 'tradition and character' at that time.  Over the years, Louisville has become one of the places that I look forward to going to each year, whether we show or not.  The Iowa State Fair is still my favorite mostly because we've shown there for so many consecutive years.  I have every intention of making it to 50 years and more.  Louisville is next on the list and at one time it was a totally new facility and experience.  If NWSS indeed moves, remember and savor the past, but look forward to new experiences and traditions.