Oakbar heifers at Sioux Falls---didn't place well but we like 'em anyway

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

Some of our friends here on SP have asked us to update them on the progress of these two heifers so I'll post the pictures we had taken on Saturday at Sioux Falls.    We didn't place very well with either heifer but we still like them.  We were pleased to see another daughter of our Myrtle Bo donor being shown that day as well.  You will probably get a chance to see her at the major shows later this year. 

Attachments

• Oakbar Myrtle Bo VT  Sioux Falls 1-09   25.JPG
    Oakbar Myrtle Bo VT Sioux Falls 1-09 25.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Char X Heifer at Sioux Falls 1-09    25.JPG
    Char X Heifer at Sioux Falls 1-09 25.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 207

justintime

Both heifers look very good. The Shorthorn heifer looks like she is structurally sound and she is the type that has brood cow written all over her. What is she sired by... I think you mentioned it before but my mind is like a sieve tonight. You should be proud of both heifers... they may have got beat this time, but I suspect they will prove to be very valuable breeding pieces.

OH Breeder

Calves look good. the young lady is awful pretty as well.
Great looking stock either way.

oakbar

Hey guys thanks for the kind comments.

The Shorthorn heifer is out of JM Vortec and our Myrtle Bo cow(we've got nine more full sib embryos in the tank) and we really like her.  I don't get our calves hog fat--I guess I'm stubborn and don't really see why a breeding heifer should have to be. She weighs about 1050 at 10 months of age and has never been on full feed.    She could probably be carrying a little more condition for showing.  I also like a little more frame in my cattle than what seems to be generally popular right now--especially at Jackpot shows--but again I like a good sized cow that gives you a lot of options on the bulls you can use.  Schrag's are showing a maternal sister out of Sonny that is still pretty green but could be really good by the late summer and fall shows.  I'll be updating our website in the next few days and hopefully have a picture of her by then. 

We had to show the Char heifer as a commercial because the breeders we bought her from aren't coming through with the papers on her.  We didn't really buy her so much as a show heifer as we did just to have a good Char X cow prospect.  We think she'll be kind of fun to cross on some of the clubby bulls and she's an absolute sweetheart for my daughter to work with.

CAB

Nice heifers Lynn. Are you coming to the expo with them, if so I hope we can meet up. Brent

stumpy

They look great Lynn! I hope that you have a lot of success with these gals. I sure think that you will by look of the pictures. Let the early bloomers burn out and then suprise them in the end.
Best of luck,
  Jeff

oakbar

Brent--we'll have the Vortec/Myrtle Bo heifer at the Expo but, unless we get the papers pretty quick, the Char heifer won't be there!!

RTMCC--the  smokie heifer is out of Dr. Who and a Char cow named MKM Charisma that did pretty well here in Iowa a couple of years back.

Stumpy--glad you like the heifers, as I told you when we talked yesterday, we'll be using that Gus semen to flush the  Myrtle Bo cow  around the 10th of March.  I'm excited to see how it goes.  How do you think the SS Dream Girl 3110 cow would cross on Gus??

Can't wait to see our first  Gus calf 30 days from now.  We've got 6 females due on March 4th---2 JPJ, 1 Gus,  1 Tonic, 1 Who Made Who, and 1 Dr Who. 

Show Heifer

I learned a long time ago to breed what I want to see in MY pasture and the heck with everyone else. I have to chore twice a day, every day and there is no sense in me looking a crap I don't like!!

That's my opinion anyway!!

Nice heifers!

doubled

Lynn

I think the heifers look really nice- really like the body style on both of them - they are gonna make you some mighty fine cows to be sure-
Maybe we can meet up at the expo - Id love to meet you

Justamom

oakbar

Thanks everyone for your positive comments about our heifers.

Justamom and other SP family members,

I'll be at the Iowa Beef Expo on Tuesday and Thursday for the sales and probably from Friday through Sunday for the Junior Show.  My daughter and the Vortec heifer above will be part of the Worth County entries for the Junior  Show so you might see me there on the weekend.

Also, I'll probably be spending quite a bit of time in the Shorthorn and Maine aisles during the week.  If you see a guy with grizzled chin whiskers wearing an Oakbar hat that'll probably be me--step up and introduce yourself-- I'd like to meet you.  If I've  already met you before I apologize in advance if I don't remember your name.  Please stop and say Hello, anyway.  I wish I was better at remembering names than I am--but hey, I make new friends every day this way.    After all I'm just an Iowegian with a often troubling case of "Half--heimers"(can't remember anything half the time)--and any memory work is a pretty good stretch for my intellect!! 

RSC

oakbar said:
Brent--we'll have the Vortec/Myrtle Bo heifer at the Expo but, unless we get the papers pretty quick, the Char heifer won't be there!!

RTMCC--the  smokie heifer is out of Dr. Who and a Char cow named MKM Charisma that did pretty well here in Iowa a couple of years back.

Stumpy--glad you like the heifers, as I told you when we talked yesterday, we'll be using that Gus semen to flush the  Myrtle Bo cow  around the 10th of March.   I'm excited to see how it goes.  How do you think the SS Dream Girl 3110 cow would cross on Gus??

Can't wait to see our first  Gus calf 30 days from now.  We've got 6 females due on March 4th---2 JPJ, 1 Gus,  1 Tonic, 1 Who Made Who, and 1 Dr Who. 
Interesting, Has anyone else tried Dr Who on a char?  Might be a good sire to try on a good char.  Nice Heifers.

RSC

stumpy

From the pictures I think that it might work pretty good. If nothing else maybe a white bull could put some roan back to her. If you aren't careful your little herd is going to be a pain in the rear, It's a big responsibility having that many really good ones around!

Jill

I can guarantee we don't know everything, but it has always been our opinion that you either look good at the beginning or at the end.  Most of the calves that look really good early have just come from the breeder and that is usually the best most of the calves will ever look, many have been pushed too hard and burn out long before the show season actually starts.  We don't really ever concern ourselves with the shows this time of year, I want them at the best for early summer and fall. Nice calves JMO

Latest posts