OCC Homer

Help Support Steer Planet:

DiamondS

Had a good friend looking after my cows for me while we were in Colorado and my cows had to stay behind.  When he AI'd his heifers he did mine as well and she was bred to OCC Homer.  I bought the heifer at the side of her mother, she is a fall calf that I turned spring calving.  So, she's 2 1/2 when she calved.  The calf is nearly 2 weeks early, weighs 62lbs.  I looked up Homer and I'm not convinced he's a bull I'd use, but I'm curious to hear other's opinions on him. 

aj

My brother used him on heifers one year. 17 out of 17 unnassisted. You probably need to used a easy calving shorthorn or a heatwave son. They would give you a better higher quality calf to show.jmo

Bulldaddy

You don't say what breed your cow is.  Many of the OCC bulls are easy calving and will moderate frame.  They are a good choice for continental cows.  We have used OCC Legend and OCC Embalzon with excellent results on our purebred Simmental heifers.

DiamondS

Not looking for a show calf per say, just not impressed with this one.  They better come assisted if they are small as this one is.  I don't have a good picture of her, but she's a really thick, soggy black baldy.  Sired Hereford.  Just commercial. There's a lot of good Ohlde bulls out there, I'm not saying there isn't. I was just curious about other experiences.

Bulldaddy

If she is a hereford x baldy I wouldn't breed her to an angus bull.  Perhaps a Simmental bull--Built Right comes to mind--or one of the clubby bulls depending on you goals.

DLD

We've used Homer some. Probably the easiest calving bull we have ever used. The calves will grow, better than most lbw bulls, but I've never seen one I'd want to show.  Homer daughters can make good cows, though.  I've seen a few really good ones at Duffs.

DiamondS

Bulldaddy said:
If she is a hereford x baldy I wouldn't breed her to an angus bull.  Perhaps a Simmental bull--Built Right comes to mind--or one of the clubby bulls depending on you goals.

No simmi's thanks.  Don't mean to be rude, just not interested.  I'm just looking for good honest commercial money making cattle, and after myself and another guy have had a few of these Homer calves I was just curious as to what to expect.  I'm only going to have the one and he's been banded.  Thanks for the info. 

wra

We have probably used homer for 3+ years now, he is without a doubt the easiest calving bull we have used and they are extremly figourus at birth. we have sold some steers for county fairs and they have done well really easy to feed as well as his daughters..our homer females are super easy fleshing and have great udders....another occ bull to look at is prototype the pic is not good at all we have 3 coming to be yearlings that are probably in the top ten of 35 keeper heifers we have(monopoly,i am legend,leroy brown, heat wave,star power..and a few other occ bulls)....we took him to nice fronted cows too but didnt use him on heifers but they were not big ....should have aroung 8 coming in march.

wra

call Tim and ask him also ask about Rear End he is a bull that wasnt promoted but the femals look great

Alpha

wra said:
We have probably used homer for 3+ years now, he is without a doubt the easiest calving bull we have used and they are extremly figourus at birth. we have sold some steers for county fairs and they have done well really easy to feed as well as his daughters..our homer females are super easy fleshing and have great udders....another occ bull to look at is prototype the pic is not good at all we have 3 coming to be yearlings that are probably in the top ten of 35 keeper heifers we have(monopoly,i am legend,leroy brown, heat wave,star power..and a few other occ bulls)....we took him to nice fronted cows too but didnt use him on heifers but they were not big ....should have aroung 8 coming in march.
you couldn't happen to post a picture of the star power heifer/heifers that you have could you .... im thinking about breeding some cows to him this spring

Steer4Caddy

Any real low birth bull is going to throw calves that are not physically impressive in the beginning.  As time goes on they will be better but maybe never what higher birth calves will be.  But I do know a live average calf is more valuable than a dead good one.

aj

Right on steer4caddy. Just read the calving stories thread. These goof ball deliveries are mostly a problem because of genetics. They need a shot of maternal I think.

Throttle

Homer is probably the easiest calver I've used. Used him on our heifers two years. Only had one that was over 80 or so and the little ones are real little and all of them got up and went fast. Kept one female and she looks really good as a first calver right now. I don't think we sold any of them as a show calf, but really don't care out of heifers. The only issue I had with the Homers was that they didn't finish big enough. I'd say he is typical of OCC breeding, only taking the low birth, moderate frame to a little more extreme than say, Emblazon. Used Missing Link last year and they calved really good as well, plus had just a little more look and grow, though they are plenty small for me as well at this point, a year later

BadgerFan

Throttle said:
Homer is probably the easiest calver I've used. Used him on our heifers two years. Only had one that was over 80 or so and the little ones are real little and all of them got up and went fast. Kept one female and she looks really good as a first calver right now. I don't think we sold any of them as a show calf, but really don't care out of heifers. The only issue I had with the Homers was that they didn't finish big enough. I'd say he is typical of OCC breeding, only taking the low birth, moderate frame to a little more extreme than say, Emblazon. Used Missing Link last year and they calved really good as well, plus had just a little more look and grow, though they are plenty small for me as well at this point, a year later

I agree with your comments on Missing Link.  Nice calves, not rock stars in the feedlot, but I sure like the heifers.

advocate

Normal ohlde breeding short common dumpy cattle with no performance to back em up i hear they like 1100 pound finishing wieghts in feedlots too lol

Throttle

advocate said:
Normal ohlde breeding short common dumpy cattle with no performance to back em up i hear they like 1100 pound finishing wieghts in feedlots too lol

but they are perfect for freshening heifers (except Anchor), and the occasional cross on the right exotic cow hits pretty good

advocate

Well aj by the angus breeds own marketing they are both cattle that get it done in the pasture and the feedlot

advocate

Never said it was possible just reported but if your cow cant give you a calf with over an 1100 pnd endwieght i would not say shes terminal or maternal she is useless

Latest posts