Odd problem with barbed wire fencing???

Help Support Steer Planet:

ngotham93nd

Hello everyone,

I have an issue where the fenced area that I maintain is
developing problems in the barbed wire fencing side. The fence is a
wood post anchors/ painted metal t-posts construction. The wiring is
barbed wire on one side of the t-posts and electric fence on the other side.The fence has held up well for quite a while since I assisted in the installation of the electric fence portion in 2011. I have maintained the electric fence since then.

The problem is that the barbed wire has developed rust problems to the point of danger of breaking the wire. The rust seems to start on the wire along the flat surface of the the t-posts. Anyone have any experience with this problem? We are located in the north-east corner of Louisiana in West Monroe, LA.

Please message me back with any questions that you may have.
I am not that experienced with barbed wire.

Thanks

MDitmars

I suspect being in Louisiana has sped up the rusting quite a bit if you are in a humid or wet area. Red brand turns rusty colored pretty quick. We have always used a high tensile cheaper wire as it doesn't rust as fast.

As side from that we walk the pasture fence every year before we put cattle in and look for broken spots. Old fence can get spotty and you just need to splice in some new wire every once in a while with a fence stretcher (or build new fence).

phillse

I have seen  this before in South Alabama.  Based on my observations it is caused by the t post not having as good a rust inhibitor and when it oxidizes it speeds up the oxidation of the galvanized wire.