Off topic - 2 year old gelding

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

So i have a 2 year old gelding that I am looking to sell.  He is Quarter Horse type, but not registerable as his mother never had papers.

He is going to be a mountain of a horse probably in the 16.1 range when he is finished growing.  He should be pretty quick, and is halter broke.  However I have not started him under saddle at all.  I don't have the time to start him, and I would like to sell him to someone who can work with him more than I can.

He is nothing special, but I think he will make a very serviceable horse.

I am trying to figure out what to price him at, as I have really no idea.  I would like to sell him pretty quick, but don't want to take a bath either.  I know with the hay shortage, the horse market is not that great in our area.  I was thinking $800-1000 but I really don't know, is that completely out of line.  Thoughts?

justme

Fromthe horse market around here in NW Missouri, you'd be lucky to get $500.  Hate to tell you that.  Good registered horses that are broke are barely bringing $800 here.  Grade horses unless worked in feedlots or rodeoed aren't bring much at all.  Just gotta love those tree huggers for saving all those horses!

ROAD WARRIOR

I don't know where you're from but a grade horse (unregistered) around here that is not at least started under the saddle is a hard sale. I've bought a few in the last 4 months to start this spring and only have $300 in the highest priced one, $150 in the cheapest. I'm sure the market is different from region to region but in my neck of the woods it takes a pretty good broke grade horse to bring $800 and he needs to be pretty fancy. RW

red

where are you located? We have a lot of horse auctions in our area. These are for people to ride not dog food.  :p

Red

BRdoc

Still Learning, where are you? Even with plenty of hay here in OK, an unregistered, not started 2yr old is a tough sell all together. Once the slaughter market dried up, the market for this type of horse went to pot. I am not saying he is a slaughter horse at all. But it just killed the grade market.My suggestion would be to get the horse started. He would much more marketable if he was just green broke. you could put a pic on here and I would be able to better evaluate your position.

knabe

you might try looking for people with pack strings.  they buy grade horses that are calm and not too much trouble.

GLZ

Southern Illinois.  

My fears are being confirmed so far in this thread.  My best friend who is a farrier, and I had a conversation the other day that a lot of money could be made just buying 2 year old horses and working them.  If one had the time.

red

the Amish here have a mini industry doing that & hooves. I see at least 3 trailers go by. Have heard from some that they aren't the best trainers. Malinda, not a slam, just what I've heard.  ;)

Red

BRdoc

You're right. I buy alot of yearling and 2's. I start them myself, work cattle, ride them through every conceiveable obstacle. They get ridden daily. Then, I put them in a ranch horse sale and do quite well. The ranch horse market prefers registered. But, I have sold some really good horses for really good money also. The point is still the same...started right=money.

kanshow

If you can get some riding in on him, he'll be worth more.  I'm thinking you might be lucky to get 150 for him around here... 

showgirl2010

stilllearning, Im from so IL. At the local salebarn the trader has went to trading cattle just to make ends meet with the horse business.  So you'd be very luck to get 500, but maybe 800 if its broke and that is pushing it.

Jamie

Simmimom

I'm in the Houston, Texas area and people are practically (literally) giving horses away as their budgets tighten.  We recently decided to foster a horse from the humane society (free/ actually medical care and feed are deductible).  Have a quarter horse, broke for riding, may have worked cattle? that seems to be working for us.  Of course his real purpose is to keep our elderly mare company as she seemed depressed that her non horse buddies are becoming mommas.  Oh for $450.00 you can become the owner of one of their horses.

justme

Simmimom, will we be seeing you on Animal Planets Houston animal police?  My kids love those rescue shows. (clapping)

showgirl2010

Ya thanks to them lovely ;D tree huggers the poor horse folks are being punished.  No one can make a dollar anymore.  Is what my grandpa says and he was born in the aftermath of the depression.

Jamie