Off Topic.......Market sheep project

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

My youngest has now gone to the dark side.....and wants to show a lamb this year.....just so we can be totally insane and have all 3 species at state fair this year.

Any of you lamb jocks on here...what do you look for besides good structure and natural muscle.  Since we show steers and market hogs, we are always attracted to the stout wide tracking ones.  Is that what you guys look for in a prospect lamb?  I am afraid we will pick a freight train and then he will "pud out" when it counts.  Any thoughts for the sheep impaired?  (The last time I showed a market lamb was in 1976.) hahaha

kanshow

Not really an expert, just listened when the sheep breeder went over points when the kids were picking out lambs.    They should brace, you should be able to feel the indentation of muscle over the spine, and of course it's all about the loin & leg.  Sheep should be slightly triangular - that is narrower at the shoulders than the hip. 

bradycreek

No expert here either but I've been around a few good ones.
Right on with triangular.
Its about muscle of back leg and Loin. The most desiable cuts Rack of lamb, leg of lamb, and lamb chops. Dont hear much about front shoulder of lamb or rib of lamb...LOL
Body condition-proper feeding and exercise of course important.  Many can feed an average lamb and beat a good lamb that wasn't properly fed. Find someone local that knows their stuff feeding is ultra important in my opinion.
Clean fronted, free walking, and level over the top.
Most judges don't like a lot of side (rib depth) to them around here
Almost a tubular shaped lamb with a huge musclular back leg / rump
good luck
don

kane1598

The dark side is not all that dark, I started showing when I was 8 and developed a really nice club lamb flock and haved showed alot of really good animals.  The first thing I look for in a lamb is overall length and length of hindsaddle ( length from the last rib to the edge of the hip bone).  This is something that won't improve much, a short loined lamb will never get any longer.  I then evaluate profile.  My biggest pet peeve in lambs is a slopping dock.    Make sure everything is level and square.  I would then look for overall muscle shape, getting my hands in there feeling the leg, loin and rack to evaluate for natural shape.  Be sure the muscle is abdundant, but not round, look for squareness if the loin edge.  While feeling for muscle, check the ribs for fat cover.  At the purchasing phasease, you really want very cover over the ribs.  Make sure that the hide is tight and the lamb is firm feeling, clean and shapely about his chest and underline.  Lastley, look for some overall extension and cockiness, make sure the shoulder is tied in tightly, and get ready for a good time! 

itk

The best advice is to find a breeder you trust and keep in constant  contact with them throughout the project since it is your fist year. Like anything they can be tricky to get fed right. Much has changed since I showed lambs but I still know alot of breeders I could recomend in KS depending on how far you want to travel. I enjoyed them because they were fun to mess around with to get ready but now I think most of the tricks I used are illegal. PM me if you would like some names of breeders.

Dusty

You have to be careful with sheep.  If you look at them wrong, they'll die.  And when one sheep dies two more die for sympathy....

kanshow

You have to be careful with sheep.  If you look at them wrong, they'll die.  And when one sheep dies two more die for sympathy....
  True, there is no such thing as a sick sheep. 

Shebet21

All very good advice above. Agree fully with the feeding. Once you have a good lamb, a good feed program is just as crucial. We've had great luck with Honor Show Lamb feed, it really grows them out nice.

shortyjock89

Ugh, I guess we're getting a couple sheep for my younger brother next year too....I really don't want them..but I told dad that if we're gonna do it, we're gonna do it right.  I'll probably be asking for help at this time next year...

bradycreek

Shebet21 said:
All very good advice above. Agree fully with the feeding. Once you have a good lamb, a good feed program is just as crucial. We've had great luck with Honor Show Lamb feed, it really grows them out nice.

We've had good luck with Honor Lamb feed as well and I would highly recommend it. :)
dh

ROAD WARRIOR

Cowz - When the kids were younger they also showed sheep. In our part of the world it's all about loin and leg. Do be careful not to over finish them as they need to "handle hard". We used to exercise our lambs and I built ramps that they stood on to eat, this also helps them when you brace them for show. RW

kanshow

Here are some more random thoughts on sheep...

Make sure you know what club lamb fungus looks like.  Even if you don't, get some Fungo or other treatment for it  and keep it around.  If you take them ANYWHERE, treat them before and after. 

Most show lamb feeds are around 18% protien.

Make sure you can check their weight pretty frequently as they can take off & grow.  Keep your hands/eyes on their condition/handle too.  Sunglo makes a good feed for holding. 

If you can obtain a chariot for exercise, that's pretty effective - or at least it was for us.   

Some lambs are natural bracers while others aren't.  Try to get one that braces naturally.

I believe some lines of sheep are more prone to prolapse - avoid them. 

ROAD WARRIOR

We usually started our lambs out on a 20% ration and then went to the 18 and eventually down to a 15% finishing ration. If you have an experienced showman around have them help your kids with the proper showing technique. Even if you have to pay them a little it will be well worth it. Showing lambs is a whole different ballgame compared to steers. RW

itk

Look for the ones with little to no hair on their ears or head. 9 times out of ten they are the best and you won't have to worry about the rest of the phenotype stuff because it comes along with the lack of hair.

dori36

kanshow said:
I believe some lines of sheep are more prone to prolapse - avoid them. 

Related to the prolapse issue, be sure you know what your fair's policy is on docking.  Deep docking up into the butt of the lamb is prohibited in many places and some club lambs have already been docked that way.  If you don't know how to recognize a questionable dock be sure to have someone help you. You can also have some prolapse problems with those docks.

nosejob8807

for exercise, the best thing i *ever* did was get a dog on em, however some dont need a ton of exericse, but some do. dont like the ramps or jumps, they do no good.

Show Heifer

kanshow said:
  True, there is no such thing as a sick sheep.   
My uncle is a HUGE cattleman and he used to give me grief about my sheep. I then started to tell him: "You know why cattleman don't like sheep? Because sheep actually take MANAGEMENT SKILLS!!!"  He grumbles and walks off! I just grin!!!

If you notice a lamb that is off, TREAT IT IMMEDIATELY...and if you treat it correctly, it won't die! (Gee, just like cattle!)

Good luck!

savaged

We have been showing mkt lambs for the past 4 years along with our calves.  I really like the lambs because you have to manage them so closely, and you can really work on showmanship with your kid and do well.  A well trained lamb is tough to beat with a kid that wants to work at it (for showmanship).

Here is what I look for:  1.  eye appeal and a high carry to the head,  2.  length, length, and length (especially from the last rib back), 3.  heavy muscle in the rumb and through the twist, with a clean front, 4. enough bone to look strong and not too frail, and 5. level top.  You get a lamb that combines power with length, and shows good feet structure and you have a good one.  No length, no winning.

Dusty

As much as I hate sheep.... I do think they are a good project for young 4-Hers.  Sheep are an animal that the kids can get their hands on and learn how to get physical with an animal and you don't have to worrry about them getting hurt.  It teaches kids the basics of handling animal and will give them some resistance, but not so much that they can't do it.