Off Topic: Using a box blade on long driveways.

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

So my driveway is about a 1/2 mile long rock road.  Unfortunately it has large pot holes like any rock country road.  It is about time for me to put some serious work in on the driveway again. 

I have read that a box blade is pretty much the only way to go.  Anyone have much experience with one that can give it a glowing review, or one that will change my mind from buying one.

Thanks

red

the farm uses one to smooth out the ruts & when they're laying gravel. No idea if there are any complaints but they keep using it.

Red

kanshow

We have a long drive too..    When we bought the place, it came with a pull type road grader.  That's what the previous owners used and we used it for many years... takes 2 to run it.    It did a great job.    Then DH used the grader to bank up the ends of some flood irrigation one year and not long after that, he bought a used road grader from some township.    So that's what we use..  a road grader.   

Show Dad

SL - Not sure where you are located but at my back 40 drive we use a Road Boss grader (http://www.roadboss.org/). There are a couple of different manufacturers of this type of grader but boy do they work. Of course they are more expensive than a box scraper but I think well worth it.

Will

SD said:
SL - Not sure where you are located but at my back 40 drive we use a Road Boss grader (http://www.roadboss.org/). There are a couple of different manufacturers of this type of grader but boy do they work. Of course they are more expensive than a box scraper but I think well worth it.
We have a couple lond drive ways and have a box blade and a road boss grader.  Since we bought the road boss I do not remember using the box blade.  The road boss is by far the best way to go, it will cut you drive way work in half and make it look twice as good.

garybob

Will said:
SD said:
We have a couple lond drive ways and have a box blade and a road boss grader.  Since we bought the road boss I do not remember using the box blade.  The road boss is by far the best way to go, it will cut you drive way work in half and make it look twice as good.
Is it raining up in Decatur, yet?
GB

Bawndoh

We have a large span of gravel, and a long driveway.  Dad always just uses the bucket on the chore tractor.  He drives backwards and tilts the bucket slightly away from the tractor as not to cause strain on the hydraulics.  NEVER drive forward when you are doing this unless you know what you are doing! 
Anyhow, this works really well, and you dont have to go spending all kinds of $$$ on a grader. 

KYsteer

We used to use a grater blade, but it was bad about throwing the rock off of the road.  We switched to a box blade a couple of years ago and really enjoy.  I am not familiar with the road boss that you all are talking about, but definitely going to do some research on it.  However  I would recommend the box blade as it has worked well for us so far.

Turkey Creek Ranch

We just recently bought one, and we love it. It works great on anything from dirt on field drive ways, to the gravel on the drive, to the crap and mud in the lots. It was one of the better things we have gotten. But, there is another route. If you have a little tractor, you can get a 3 pt. blade to put on the back of it, we used that for some time, and it works well. Or one more route, would be a pull behind drag. It basically has 2 blades, and you can control how deep they cut, BUT, this was an old one my grandpa had, so i have no idea if you can get one on the market today.

Or, you can use the good ole shovel  ;)

Turk

Latest posts