Ohio B here is a pic

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

Here is a picture of a Quantum Queen x DV steer we raised.

Attachments

• Doc2.doc
    1.7 MB · Views: 277

OH Breeder

Very NIce. Stout calf. So I guess I will be happy with a steer or heifer. WIll let you know.

OH Breeder

For those of you who have trouble opening. LIke this calf. Thanks ITK!

Attachments

• DV X QQ.jpg
    DV X QQ.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 703

OH Breeder

showsteerdlux said:
Very nice calf. Guessing he is a double vision.

Yes, Quantum Queen x Double Vision.
Attached picture is in the same cow family bred at Masonic Village.

Attachments

• QQ PA Farm Show.jpg
    QQ PA Farm Show.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 667

garybob

She needs a little more rear foot, with a deeper heel. Otherwise, She is pretty good.

I do  think that she ought to be Bred (and ''springing") by now.

JMO,

GB

itk

showsteerdlux said:
Very nice calf. Guessing he is a double vision.

That is the calf that I always say we couldn't sell so we had to give him to the neighbors as you can tell they were more then happy to get him. The funny thing is he was the winningest shorthorn steer in the state that year but got a red ribbon at the county fair. Greg Stewart and Clayton Frye were there watching the show and thought he won easy but they weren't the judge(it was Harry Moser for all you simmy people). Anybody want to guess why I'm not a big fan of county fairs and what goes on there. I will try to find a picture of his dam, Little Cedar Quantum Gal. Doc might remember her, as she was the second high selling female in the National Heifer Futurity a few years back.

shortyjock89

We usually have a calf that no one will take a second look at at weaning, but when weigh in comes around, everyone asks about.  Kind of cool to beat some high dollar calves with a calf that you would be hard pressed to give away. 

Another reason that I despise county fairs.  I had a heifer that got dead last at our county fair (6th), but then didn't place lower than 3rd at state or breed sanctioned events.  This heifer also ended up being the winningest heifer that I've ever shown, and won her class at state fair.  Most county fairs are a joke, but I guess we're the dumb ones who keep going back.  They're good practice for the big time I guess....really nice steer.

Doc

garybob said:
She needs a little more rear foot, with a deeper heel. Otherwise, She is pretty good.

JMO,

GB

GB, How do you know that heifer isn't bred? There is no date on the picture or how old the hfr is, so to me you're reaching for something to find fault about. I think she is a very nice hfr, that I would be durn proud to have in my pasture. 

OH Breeder

showsteerdlux said:
Who owns the heifer in the pic?

The heifer in the picture would have been about 18 months of age or there abouts. She is owned by Masonic Village , Pennsylvania as noted previously.

FOggy Hollow  TLC FHF Quantum Queen 2000 model. Quite a few of them go back to ARMSTRONG QUANTUM QUEEN. I don';t know if she is bred I don't know those folks. This was purely an example of one of the quantum females.

Attachments

• TLC FHF Quantum Queen.jpg
    TLC FHF Quantum Queen.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 537

garybob

Doc said:
garybob said:

JMO,

GB

GB, How do you know that heifer isn't bred? There is no date on the picture or how old the hfr is, so to me you're reaching for something to find fault about. I think she is a very nice hfr, that I would be durn proud to have in my pasture. 
If She is THAT big, again I'm thinking like a commercial Cattleman, I'd guess her to be getting on up there close to 2 yrs of age. Also, by the way that Her coronet bands are almost touchin' the shavings, She needs a better set of rear feet ( I'm from hilly, rock-strewn Northwest Arkansas).

I didn't say She wasn't a good heifer in every other way. Her depth of body is impressive.

GB

Malinda

garybob,

Nothing interesting today on Dr. Phil, so I guess I am going to spend my time getting into trouble.

I realize that most of the pictures posted are posted by people ASKING for comments about their cattle. I have never made a comment, posotive or negative. I want to see that animal from all angles AND see it walk. Plus, what someone else raises is really none of my business. All I say is that if you like looking out the window at them, like working them (disposition) and they make you money, I don't care what breed they are or how they are made. IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINEES.

When I first started working with my local vet he would bitch and moan about how big my cows were. I finally had enough and ask him when he had ever sold a calf for $1000, $1500, $2500 or $5000. He has been quiet since (although I am sure he is still THINKING).

The vet was out one day and saw a first calf heifer with some grain I had just fed. He started fussing about hard keepers. I told him her yearling weight, present weight and told him she had not had any grain for 5 months prior to calving. BUT....... I reminded him that cattle CONTINUE TO GROW UNTIL THYE ARE FOUR YEARS OLD. Well, he has gotten off that issue also. If I choose to supplement my first calf heifers for the first 100 days after calving that is MY BUSINESS.

I have also told my vet I think a lot of these smaller framed cow aren't really smaller framed cows.....THEY ARE NUTRITIONALLY DEPRIVED FEMALES THAT NEVER REACHED THEIR POTENTIAL.

I am getting my fat cattle to the butcher at 13 1/2 months weighing 1345# to 1390# and my butcher says I have made a Shorthorn beleiver out of him. He told me 4 years ago that a 13 month old heifer I brought in was the best beef he had ever cut.

Some of us choose to show, some do not. Good for everybody. Do your own thing.

So, garybob, why is it that we have never seen pictures of any of your cattle that can thrive so well on poor grass, travel on rough terrain, take the heat, are the right color, etc? I would love for one time in my life love to see the perfect beef animal; please enlighten me. But, you fuss at people on here about what they raise. I'm glad you have cattle that can thrive in your environment. Some of my cattle came out of the mountains of Wyoming. Got any terrain like that in your area? I came from looking at cows in those mountains one time and I had been bounced around so much I had blood in my urine that night! How many of your cows know about blizzards and bears? You imply other people's cattle can't thrive in poor terrain. I have cattle in a couple herds in West Virginia that you can't get to without a helicopter. They have been there 5 years and are calving every year and making them money.

I will admit my cows know nothing about razorbacks.

Well, Dr. Phil is going off, so I better go take care of my inefficient, bad footed, infertile, mean and some solid red cows. After that I will take my check to the bank.

Everyone have a good day.

Malinda

Doc

Malinda, I agree 100% with what you said. I know MY cows aren't perfect , if they were, I wouldn't have been able to afford them. I try to mate my cows with whatever bull will compliment them the best & make a better animal than either parent. I know that , that animal still won't be perfect though. On these websites you don't know when you criticize someones animal(especially when they didn't ask for criticism) if that person is a strong willed person that can take it or a 1st year 4-Her that you just crushed their enthusiasm. I know when we 1st started my dad was working 2 jobs & didn't have a lot of money to buy top notch show calves, we bought whatever we could afford & tried to improve them. We have to  remember that those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast the 1st stone.

aj

County fairs should be about learning and the kids and not about wether or not little Jacks dad is mad about the placing of cattle. 80 % of Shorthorn cattle are a fraternity of breeders with white painted fences that trade cattle to each other. 80 % of Shorthorns that are to big and to hard keeping and they weigh 110# when they are born. I'm not criticizing these people or cattle but a fact is a fact. I think there is alot of this in any breed. The average lifespan of a purebred herd is around 7 years. People usually get in ..spend alot of money and then get out. There are no better show cattle then the shorthorns and I say have at it. If you take a 900$ cow and you sell the calf for 2000$ that is great. If you buy a 4000 cow and you sell the calf for 1500$ whats up with that.Just trying to stir up trouble.

Doc

aj said:
County fairs should be about learning and the kids and not about wether or not little Jacks dad is mad about the placing of cattle. 80 % of Shorthorn cattle are a fraternity of breeders with white painted fences that trade cattle to each other. 80 % of Shorthorns that are to big and to hard keeping and they weigh 110# when they are born. I'm not criticizing these people or cattle but a fact is a fact. I think there is alot of this in any breed. The average lifespan of a purebred herd is around 7 years. People usually get in ..spend alot of money and then get out. There are no better show cattle then the shorthorns and I say have at it. If you take a 900$ cow and you sell the calf for 2000$ that is great. If you buy a 4000 cow and you sell the calf for 1500$ whats up with that.Just trying to stir up trouble.

AJ, My neighbor has a white painted fence, does that count(he doesn't have any cows though)?  I've got to agree with you that there is no better  breed than Shorties.

Jill

I have to tell you where we show, there is no disgrace in a show heifer being a Shorthorn!  I can say without any bias that Kansas has some of the best Shorthorn heifers in the world, and I can also tell you that the breeders that are selling those cattle are making a good living in the cattle business, that is what we are all trying to do even if we go about it from different angles. 

As far as judging cattle on the internet, cattle are not 3 dimensional, there isn't a person out there that can give you a factual evaluation of an animal from a picture.  I cringe when some of these kids come on here and ask what the general public thinks from a poor picture because some of them have really gotten hammered and I just hate that. 

OH Breeder

Malinda said:
garybob,

Nothing interesting today on Dr. Phil, so I guess I am going to spend my time getting into trouble.

I realize that most of the pictures posted are posted by people ASKING for comments about their cattle. I have never made a comment, posotive or negative. I want to see that animal from all angles AND see it walk. Plus, what someone else raises is really none of my business. All I say is that if you like looking out the window at them, like working them (disposition) and they make you money, I don't care what breed they are or how they are made. IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINEES.

When I first started working with my local vet he would bitch and moan about how big my cows were. I finally had enough and ask him when he had ever sold a calf for $1000, $1500, $2500 or $5000. He has been quiet since (although I am sure he is still THINKING).

The vet was out one day and saw a first calf heifer with some grain I had just fed. He started fussing about hard keepers. I told him her yearling weight, present weight and told him she had not had any grain for 5 months prior to calving. BUT....... I reminded him that cattle CONTINUE TO GROW UNTIL THYE ARE FOUR YEARS OLD. Well, he has gotten off that issue also. If I choose to supplement my first calf heifers for the first 100 days after calving that is MY BUSINESS.

I have also told my vet I think a lot of these smaller framed cow aren't really smaller framed cows.....THEY ARE NUTRITIONALLY DEPRIVED FEMALES THAT NEVER REACHED THEIR POTENTIAL.

I am getting my fat cattle to the butcher at 13 1/2 months weighing 1345# to 1390# and my butcher says I have made a Shorthorn beleiver out of him. He told me 4 years ago that a 13 month old heifer I brought in was the best beef he had ever cut.

Some of us choose to show, some do not. Good for everybody. Do your own thing.

So, garybob, why is it that we have never seen pictures of any of your cattle that can thrive so well on poor grass, travel on rough terrain, take the heat, are the right color, etc? I would love for one time in my life love to see the perfect beef animal; please enlighten me. But, you fuss at people on here about what they raise. I'm glad you have cattle that can thrive in your environment. Some of my cattle came out of the mountains of Wyoming. Got any terrain like that in your area? I came from looking at cows in those mountains one time and I had been bounced around so much I had blood in my urine that night! How many of your cows know about blizzards and bears? You imply other people's cattle can't thrive in poor terrain. I have cattle in a couple herds in West Virginia that you can't get to without a helicopter. They have been there 5 years and are calving every year and making them money.

I will admit my cows know nothing about razorbacks.

Well, Dr. Phil is going off, so I better go take care of my inefficient, bad footed, infertile, mean and some solid red cows. After that I will take my check to the bank.

Everyone have a good day.

Malinda

Malinda,
Very well spoken. I have to say I have never looked at it like that. Thank you for the enlighting, seriously.
The picture of the Quantum Queen heifer, you can't really see her feet that well. If you look closer or blow the image up there is alot of wood chips she is standing in. maybe it is just me. :-\