OK pig people what do you think

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

I finally got the pigs home and here they are. We stood second in class with the duroc and the spotted pig got the gate. I think the spotted pig could really do well with the right judge but that wasn't last night. My son is having a absolute blast with them. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• pigs 004.jpg
    pigs 004.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 412
  • pigs 001.jpg
    pigs 001.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 415
  • pigs 003.jpg
    pigs 003.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 401
  • pigs 002.jpg
    pigs 002.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 395

red

not a big pig judge but they look very nice to me! Huge butts & very good muscled. Very competitive hogs IMHO!

Red

showgirl2010

I dont have any but I do judge them and they are some winners.  The black and white one especially...they can stand some competition.

Jamie

BCCC

the spots looks very good (thumbsup) (thumbsup), I am however not a duroc fan just because you cant get near the muscle on them before they have leg problems

renegade

I'm not a pig person but will i do  :D (i actually kinda think they are annoying/brats)?  Anyway at first glance the spotted pig stands out and when you evaluate them i think the spotted pig just works better.  I'm no expert, just a mediocre livestock judge  (cow)

itk

Jill said:
Nice pigs, did you go to Topeka, how was the Beef show?

We left the pig show at 10:30 Friday night and it still wasn't over. We just showed the pigs but I walked through the steers on Saturday morning and there weren't enough good ones there to peak my interest enough to stay so I have no clue who won. How was the Classic?

shortdawg

I think the black & white pig will be the best. I think he needs some more cover on him to be really competitive. The judges just like a lot more cover on them than they used too; the days of those lean " cut - up " pigs have been over.

renegade

my freshman year i was taught that we had to pick fat pigs for our class winners. During the fair judging the official said they had to be lean cause that was what the market was leaning towards and now its going back the other way.  Fat cover changes more often than i change clothes(JK)  (lol).  It all just depends on the market

kanshow

They said the Topeka beef show pre-entries were down but overall entry ended being up.     

Itk - were those the pigs that were there Saturday morning?  If so, hands down - the spot is the eye catcher.  I didn't see them walk or anything but just looking as we walked by.    I'd like to see pictures of them in about 75 pounds. 

itk

That would be them. There was no way I was going to stick around and try to load up on Friday when we live 10 minutes down the road and while fighting a very tired son who wanted to go to bed.

kanshow

That would be them. There was no way I was going to stick around and try to load up on Friday when we live 10 minutes down the road and while fighting a very tired son who wanted to go to bed
I hear ya!!  We had a couple of 'starts' on our way to the show Saturday morning...  We barely made it out of the drive before we had someone getting sick..  So had to turn around and ended up leaving him at Grandmas. 

cowz

I really like the crossbred with the spots...that will make a flashy showmanship pig.  You may encourage the kiddo to keep excercising the duroc....looks like it's a little straight on the hind wheels...gotta keep them free moving!   Is this his first year?   Looks like a nice start.  Good luck with the pigs!

PS:  Dont be afraid to experiment with the beet pulp to give them a softer look later on ..... really looks like they have potential!

CAB

ITK, I think that the Duroc will be the better pig down the road. They are trying to soften up the pigs just like they have the cattle. I see the spot pig as breaking a little behind the shoulder and see him as possibly being too tight later on. The days of feeding paylean are almost over. If you do decide to feed some, watch it carefully and try not to over do it. If you keep on showing the hogs, I'd love to put in contact with some very good producers here in Iowa. Dusty also buys showpig prospects for some of his friends. We used to travel all over the country showing pigs. We were the exhibitor of the year @ the Royal way back when.