Old Cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Barry Farms

I have some older cows that are much larger than the rest of my herd and have gotten about 6 months behind in calving. They are old enough that they could have just about any size calf so I think I'll hold them back to calve in January. I don't know what to AI them to though. I would think that a heavy muscled clubby bull would be the best option and because of the extra month to grow the slow growing club calves would still be 1350 at the fair. What bull would you use to get a great fat steer and maybe some chrome? Or I could use a high growth Simmental Bull like Upgrade and win rate of gain. 8)

OH Breeder

frostback said:
Monopoly.

A friend of mine had some older maine genetics big cows and used Monopoly on them. Those were some of his best calves. Alot of the big old cows were 1800 plus. Calves were really moderated by Monopoly.
I know there is clone semen if you don't want to use the original. I forget anymore if the original is dead or injured etc?

Barry Farms

1800 lbs! Ha these are only about 1400-1500 pounds at the most. My cows are small because that leaves a greater profit margin. My average cow is 1200 mature. I forgot to say this earlier so granted this tidbit of knowledge will MAB, BIM, Monopoly, Bodacious, or Salty Dog still work? I heard Salty Dog is larger than most club calves but he also is said to have terrible front feet.

vc

The Unforgiven calves we had grew, both hit over 4 pounds a day for over a month (25 pounds of feed) and had the power you want, he may be worth a try. I do not know about others calves but the 2 we had were puppy dog gentle.

Unforgiven is the one on the left in the second picture

Attachments

• DSC_0837 (800x536).jpg
    DSC_0837 (800x536).jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0847 (800x536).jpg
    DSC_0847 (800x536).jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 155

RyanChandler

Barry Farms said:
1800 lbs! Ha these are only about 1400-1500 pounds at the most. My cows are small because that leaves a greater profit margin. My average cow is 1200 mature.

Put em on a scale.  A summer fat 1200lb cow is a frame 3 to 4 at most.  A frame 5 or 6 w/ adequate body at a bcs of 5-6 is gonna weigh 14-1500lbs. 

Barry Farms

They're frame 6 if I was to guess.

For those of you that have used Upgrade what kind of BW's have you gotten? I saw his was 102 lbs which these cows can handle in any case but was just wondering. I am rather partial to a high growth bull compared to clubbys because these cows have no clubby and wont produce clubby calves.

Barry Farms

How would monopoly money work on cows of this size and what about 1200-1300 pound cows? I heard he breeds like Monopoly w/ more frame.... its hard to argue w/ Monopoly with his large number of champions.

frostback

Barry Farms said:

For those of you that have used Upgrade what kind of BW's have you gotten? I saw his was 102 lbs which these cows can handle in any case but was just wondering. I am rather partial to a high growth bull compared to clubbys because these cows have no clubby and wont produce clubby calves.

Better to start with cows with no clubby in them then the heifer mates to steers to produce clubbys. Meyer 734 X Angus F1s are not really clubby bred but have a great track record of producing the good steers. F1s, whether it be Simmi X Angus or Maine X Angus, have a great chance of getting good calves then breeding clubby to clubby and getting a cripple. Not as many when you start with a good sound cow. Don't get me wrong, clubby an clubby can work too, but I like to start with a F1 or even a purebred without clubby and go from there. So don't think it wont work with a good plain purebred. I know of some donors for a big time Texas player, that started out as a recips that produced some great calves.

Barry Farms

Better to start with cows with no clubby in them then the heifer mates to steers to produce clubbys. Meyer 734 X Angus F1s are not really clubby bred but have a great track record of producing the good steers. F1s, whether it be Simmi X Angus or Maine X Angus, have a great chance of getting good calves then breeding clubby to clubby and getting a cripple. Not as many when you start with a good sound cow. Don't get me wrong, clubby an clubby can work too, but I like to start with a F1 or even a purebred without clubby and go from there. So don't think it wont work with a good plain purebred. I know of some donors for a big time Texas player, that started out as a recips that produced some great calves.
[/quote]

I have already done this to get replacements but it was sim-ang. X meyer 735 a meyer grandson with a irish whiskey dam.

I am a freshmen in HS so I cannot start another cycle of maternal cattle. I need to breed for steers NOW.

frostback

Barry Farms said:

I have already done this to get replacements but it was sim-ang. X meyer 735 a meyer grandson with a irish whiskey dam.

I am a freshmen in HS so I cannot start another cycle of maternal cattle. I need to breed for steers NOW.
[/quote]

If you have cows that are not heifer mates to steers, then you have maternal cows already. Breed them clubby now. The cows do not have to be known pedigrees to work. Go for it. That's what I was trying to tell you.

firesweepranch

Barry Farms said:

I wouldn't be afraid of using Upgrade on a cow, and have used him on heifers! He was an embryo calf, and so those weights can be skewed because of the recip cow.

Till-Hill

ASA has Upgrade as a single birth. Other ET calves give frozen or fresh embryo status. Just noticed that to as I thought I had seen he was an ET. Firesweep maybe you know?