Old Hereford semen, any thoughts?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kjd farms

I've got some old Hereford semen in storage, but before I dump it, is it any of it worth keeping?

GK ROAD RUNNER W75
GWP BIG FOOT 29N
MILLERVUE 80D SP 20F
LUCKY GOLD-BAR BLUEPRINT 20L
STLBRK Gilead 67K (Stick)
WTK S48 Genesis 67U
JR P183 Wallstreet T156

MYT Farms

kjd farms said:
I've got some old Hereford semen in storage, but before I dump it, is it any of it worth keeping?

GK ROAD RUNNER W75
GWP BIG FOOT 29N
MILLERVUE 80D SP 20F
LUCKY GOLD-BAR BLUEPRINT 20L
STLBRK Gilead 67K (Stick)
WTK S48 Genesis 67U
JR P183 Wallstreet T156

Might have better luck getting answers on cattletoday.com . They've got a lotta Herf people on those Q & A boards.

ratmama2

Are you going to sell it or throw it away? It is like the old Shorthorn semen, old genetics can be great now when introduced into the new bloodlines.

CPL

Semen is still available on GK road runner, STLBRK gilead, and wallstreet. The others I'm not sure, but you are getting into older genetics and I'm not so sure they would have their place today. JMO

DiamondS

Road Runner is a son of Race.  Some liked him, a lot hated him. He was pretty good for taking milk out of em (1987 model)

Big Foot is a calving ease son of Enforcer 107H out of a Vindicator daughter. (1981 model)

Millervue bull is an outcross pedigree I don't know much about (1974 model)

Blueprint- another bull I can't tell you much about other than he's a 1979 model

The Stick was a great bull in his time.  Easy calving and he's a Sire of Distinction.  Unfortunately like all of these older generations, his EPD's aren't as marketable.  (1978 model)

Genesis is a 1986 model and it doesn't seem much is known about him through the AHA

Wallstreet is a hypotrichosis carrier son on JR Nick the Butler P183.  P183 daughters were really good but he was a major player in HYC (1985 model)

This probably doesn't mean much to many of you, but these are some old genetics that could be useable today if you can look past EPDs.  I'm hoping somebody a little more old school than me can elaborate on these bulls.