old Maine bull Bad Medicine

Help Support Steer Planet:

colosteers

Does any one know about a Maine bull named  "Bad Medicine reg# 140395, born in 1989".

maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=140395   

I hope the above turns blue and you can just click on it to see the pedigree.    The reason I am asking is that I ran low on semen and thought I would breed a deep, soggy, moderate angus cow to Pistol Pete, to hopefully get a replacement hfr.    My records showed that Pistol Pete cane # was ma 17, thawed a straw and found this straw marked as Bad Medicine. 

Well I then figured that maybe this was his reg name and Pistol Pete was a promoted name ( guess this is what I get for thinking).  Later looked on the Maine web search and found this.

Any how, does any body know anything about this bull, how this got in our tank- I dont know?

I can always lutelyse her in ten days I guess and try again, unless there could be some good come from this.

Thanks for any info and have a good one

red

Bad Medicine was raised & owned by Agles of Springfield, Ohio. Was a very good maternal bull. He was the foundation of Agles herd for years. Believe he had very good wheels & was fairly moderate.

You can call Agles for more info on him, very nice people.

Red

Throttle

I had a couple Bad Medicine cows until a few years ago and they worked good to both Maine and clubby bulls. I have no idea how he will breed, but if I had to guess, I'd say it sounds like you put him on the right kind of cow. If I was you, I'd go with the mating. The best one I ever had was long, extended made, with a lot of hip and top, and adequate rib. She was solid black and out of a Traveler 23-4 cow. This Medicine cow was probably an upper 6 frame, but I never saw her dam, so I can't help you there. She bred reliably and milked better than average with a nice udder. Sold at least 3 calves in the top 1/3 of the set from her in the 6 years that I calved her and have a daughter in production now. Talk to Agle's. They'll tell you what he goes best on. They built a pretty impressive herd around the bull in the early 90's. I think they have a website somewhere. Call Bob.

ai er

I'd keep the mating.  Bad Medicine females are pretty good.  Deep and soggy on angus cows.  I like them.  Agles bought him at
one of the first Ohio Beef Expos.  I saw him sell, a friend of mine was bidding on him too.  I think someone like Klingner had him there.

fluffer

Ditto what Red Said-
He was owned by Agles and I also believe Campbells as well.  Either way Agles have a lot of really good foundation stuff out of him and have brought several great cattle out of him or trace back to him to the county and state shows.  If you can't find Agles info, I can give it to you.  BTW Agles have a new bull they are promoting.  Saw him at Expo and he looked pretty good!

Fluffer

bcosu

I love that old bull! That is everything except his disposition. He tends to throw a little color and his calves aren't the friendliest but the cows have longevity and they really transmit favorable traits to their calves. overall, they are very consistent breeding stock.

ZNT

Maybe one of the best steers I have ever seen and worked on was out of Bad Medicine.  Of course, this was probably 10 years ago.  This steer should have won Denver except for the fact the jock that was fitting him had him looking TOO perfect, and the the judge just didn't believe it.  I don't know a whole lot about him, but my experience has sure been positive.  If you were going for a steer, you were probably better off that is was a straw of Bad Medicine vs. Pete.

colosteers

Thanks for all the info from everybody.    I will let this one ride and see what I might get. 

My first impression that I had when I seen the pedigree and the age of the bull was that he was probably very old and out of modern style.  The only thing that might be concerning me was the comment about disposition.  This cow is fine, but her ET full sister is a real snag and has been nick named satan.

How this semen got in my tank, I still don't know.  My suspicion is that it got miss caned at a stud and labeled as Pistol Pete.    I was hoping for a replacement hfr from Pete, but still could get one from this Bad Medicine from the replies here.

Let me know if any one knows where I could see a picture of this bull.

Thanks again and have a good one

red

you might try their website & see if you can contact them. http://www.showsteers.com/Agle/index.htm

Red