Old Show-Oriented Ranches - Whatever Happened to ........

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

It's kind of a testimony as to how little profit there is long term in raising/showing cattle for the vast majority of us, but from time to time I wonder about old ranches I used to remember hearing a lot about and don't anymore.  I know there are enough old timers on here that remember a bunch of these folks and might know the stories behind their rise and demise/transformation/change of direction. 

So, in the interest of starting a new topic, whatever happened to..........

Black Champ - I know it used to be a big operation in Texas, primarily Chi-oriented cattle, but I think they disappeared even before Chi's became "uncool". 

KaBa Shorthorns - Their steers were unbeatable in the late 80s through at least the early 90s.  You still see their name in lots of pedigrees, but are they still around themselves?

Morgan Ranches - Located in Nebraska, they used to be one of the dominant breeders of Hereford/Polled Hereford steers in Texas.

Anybody know anything about the history of these places?  Any stories to tell.  Please add to the list of other places you remember.

herf96

I know just a little bit about one of these ranches, as we are partners on some bulls with them and have leased some bulls from them in the past.

Morgans are still raising and showing some cattle.  Ronnies kids have all graduated but the boys still help out some on the ranch.  Not sure if they attended the national western this year or not with hereford/polled hereford calves.  They have won that deal so many times its not funny.  It was always neat to go through those pens in Denver and see those cattle, I know they have talked about stopping that tradition.  Just not sure if they have, I was up there to early this time to see those calves.  Their genetics still reside here in Texas though.  If you are familiar with their genetics several bulls and cows go directly back to their breeding that are still making an impact in the showring.  The 2011 Ft. Worth Champion Polled steer sire goes directly back to a Hi Ho daughter which is the bull that had the most impact for Morgan Ranch.  This bulls name is Torque and he is a Carpe DiemXHi Ho full brother to Encore (Born Ranches, Gerald Haseloff) and Kalija (Kelley Munson) all these bulls were raised by Born Ranches.  Torque sired the champion out of just three bull calves born his first calf crop.  Encore and Kalija are new to the market.  Sniper (Day Show Cattle) was sired by Shotgun and out of a Hi Ho dam going directly back to the Morgan herd and raised by Born Ranches.  Mimms donor cow that they are selling a flush in this weekend goes back to Hi Ho on the bottom side of her pedigree.  These genetics are potent and the females are awesome. 

Morgans main focus now is KOBE beef and they run one of the larger Waygu herds in the US.  Dan is full time at marketing KOBE beef and one of the boys lives in Japan helping with the promotion of KOBE beef.  A real neat operation.

KA'BA not real sure about their existence anymore.  I have some females that go back to their genetics and phenotypically I like them well, just trying to figure out how to mate them correctly.  I know the genetics are there, just got to be smart enough to make it work.  Great cattle and for those that used those genetics in the day  were on top of the shorthorn steer production.  Again, great cattle.

Doc

I think Ka'Ba is still going , just not that big. I know Rodney Rod went out there 3 or 4 years ago & bought some eggs from them.

MCC

There are probably people on here that know better than I, but a few years ago my cousin and myself were at KA'BA's and bought a full brother to Pokemon. Joe was a little sour on the Shorthorn Assn. and some of the bulls being used in AI. He ended up buying a Maine X Angus bull from my cousin to turn out on some of his cows to raise club calves. He was talking then like he was done with Shorthorns. Don't know if he quit them all together or not.

kdoublet

Here is what I heard, but do not know if it is true by firsthand account, about Black Champ.  They sold their land as part of the Superconducting Supercollider Project the U.S. Department of Energy was building around Waxahachie in the late 80’s - early 90’s .  If you are into reading about this project go to- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider