Is he safe to use on heifers?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 95.5%

• Total voters

Warrior10

mark tenenbaum said:
I would NEVER breed Heatwave genetics to a hiefer-hes OK on a cow dependant upon her background-and the calves seem to be real good,that Ive seen. O0

Bingo.  Heatwave on Heifers is a disaster waiting to happen....

GKE Cattle

First off let me say we like One and Only.  We did have calves this past spring and will have more in 2012.  We had some good success with him and now kind of have an idea of how to mate him.  AS far as using him on a heifer,,there is no way we would even concider it.  Our calves were all in the +90's out of him except for a hfr. that was 8 days early out of a known easy calving cow and she still weighed 82 lbs.  There were no issuses calving  except for one backwards calf and that can happen out of any bull.  But back to your question, we would not use One and Only on any heifer and especially one that has any clubby in her or is a TH carrier.  If you like your heifer at all,,,give her a couple of years to grow up and then mate him to her,,,I am sure he will still be popular for several years.

Shadow Hill Farm

@A GKE thanks for all the info. The cow I will be using is an Angus free of all genetic problems is about 5 years old and she has done well with club calf bulls. She is actually bred to Point Taken. As for my heifer I will take that in consideration!! She is my favorite and don't want to ruin her! I just wasn't sure if he was a calving ease or not but know that I have my answer makes a big difference! :) So on too look for something else! :) I have seen calves by One and Only and I really like them! Thanks again for the info!

rasor club calves

from what i have heard in my area they are coming out small and growing but at most peoples luck the calf would come out big if it was heifer  (lol) he is still a very good bull maybe 2nd calvers would do the trick

showsteerdlux

Shadow Hill Farm said:
@A GKE thanks for all the info. The cow I will be using is an Angus free of all genetic problems is about 5 years old and she has done well with club calf bulls. She is actually bred to Point Taken. As for my heifer I will take that in consideration!! She is my favorite and don't want to ruin her! I just wasn't sure if he was a calving ease or not but know that I have my answer makes a big difference! :) So on too look for something else! :) I have seen calves by One and Only and I really like them! Thanks again for the info!

Had one of the 1st ones born this year, and she slid right out of a 4 year old. Weighed 81 pounds and shaped right. Not saying I would go breed him to a bunch of 1st calf HW daughters, but I wouldn't be scared on something non clubby.

Shadow Hill Farm

Thanks! My heifer is a angus/lim. I'm not one that will put a good heifer or cow at risk. Now our cow I have no doubt you she would be fine. The rest of cows our breed to angus. I'm trying to stay away from club bulls that are THC PHAC. Hmm now what to pick for her?  (lol)

GKE Cattle

Guess I better add just alittle bit more to what I posted earlier.    We were pretty excited after we got our first few One and Only calves,,,yes there were bigger and  like one of the other posters said "They werer shaped right and there were no problems, " and boy did they get up and go and grow!!!   We have a nieghbor who used him on a couple of Angus cows and those calves were in the low 80's, again no problems.   But like I said earlier we did have some pretty good sized ones out of him,, but part of that we blame on the winter we had up here in SD.    But back to the original question, as much as we like the bull we would not concider him on any heifer,,,on a good three year old sure, but keep an eye on her, and on an older angus cow you should get along fine.   We think enough of the bull that we will have calves again in 2012 and plan to use him again this up coming year.   We also have purchased a couple of One and Only daughters.  So you can see we are in no way down on the bull, just want to see him used in the right way and don;t want anyone to have trouble.

bluffcountrycattle

So how are people mating him to get the best results?  Using him on real moderate females?  Are they good enough bred to clean cows?  We are expecting one in march...bred him to a real clubby purebred angus second calver.  Have more in the tank, and was curious what has clicked the best??  Thanks!

Shadow Hill Farm

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be using him on our one cow next year but as for my heifer I will find something else. Hmm what to pick now? LOL How are the females in terms of maternal? They look awesome but haven't seen or heard how they are maternally? I would love to see some pics of your One and Only's.

Shadow Hill Farm

I'm leaning towards Gucci. For the cow we will use One and Only. If we get an awesome calf from Point Taken then we'll use him again. Both Taken and Only's calves look great. Here is picture of her. I'll have to get a better one with her. If I don't go with Gucci by chance the I'll just breed her to Hoover Dam along with our reg. Angus.

Attachments

• 0828111855.jpg
    0828111855.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 173

RCF Farms

GKE Cattle  You say you have a pretty good idea of how to breed one and only.  I would like to hear what kind of cows you think he works best on, please.  Forget about the heifer part, to me thats a no brainer!

Latest posts