one crazy coyote

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

Just found our smallest dog(we have 5) mutilated on the back of the farm. I have never been more disturbed. I ran them off of her. Actually shooting at them. The only way I could tell it was her was by her little feet. They snatched her maybe 75 feet from my backdoor. Now I understand why my cows HATE my dogs. I try to leave nature alone most of the time but this makes me get fired up. I have read previous threads on here about coyotes but this was crazy. I now have the Savage 22/250 bu the door and we will start watchin the smaller dogs at night. I have a Rottweiler and this makes me want to get a few more and teach them to hunt and kill coyotes. the little dog was outside maybe 5 minutes when she was taken. Sad, sad day here at the farm. Tomorrow I have to tell my 3 year old (who loved Peanut) that she is dead. I need another beer just thinking about it.  Just thought i would vent a little on here. Take care everybody.

BIGTEX

I had a Jack Russell that the coyotes got! SOB es. he was 6 years and was just starting to act like a normal dog.

forbes family farms

So sorry to hear about your lose its really sad but what my grandma says if you don't own anything you won't lose anything and that is really true again i am really sorry to hear about your lose of your companion.

Show Steaks

thats sad but it is part of life seems coyotes are coming up more and more in farm and hunting magazines

p.s. i prefer a .22 old faithfull .22 never misses OR 12 gauge 4 shot loud and peppers the bejesus out of them

fed_champions

Find a live trap with a bait box. Go to the flea market and pick up a chicken to put in the bait box and set it out. Its more effective than trying to shoot them, as you can't be around at all times when the trap will be there 24/7.

xxcc

get an airedale instead of another rottweiler.  they will put even  a grizzly on the run. ...and they have a pretty good disposition around all types of people.  not to knock your rotty, but i don't trust them.

russfarm

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.  It's hard losing a pet or animal, especially in such a disturbing manner.

trevorgreycattleco

Thanks everybody. xxcc never thought about airdales before. There is a breeder not far from me. I have had rotties for 16 years. I will always have one or two. People just don't mess with them. I have had 6 in total and they all have made great dogs. I have seen some mean ones but I have seen lots of mean dogs of all walks. I worked for a rottweiler rscue for 10 years as well. I think I will go talk to that airdale breeder.

fed-champ I just got off the phone with my neighbor and he is bringing over three live traps so hopefully we can catch the sob. Now he claimed when we catch one to hang it in a tree for all the other ones to see it and send a message. I told him I don't think the coyotes have seen to many mafia movies but he said it will scare them off.
On another note the sun is out, we had good rain last two days and I get to go eat down home cookin at my moms today for Mother's Day. AHH the ups and downs of life. Win some ,lose some.

lowann

I hate stories like this! Our neighbor lost their lab puppy. Coyotes took it right off their front porch.
Several other good protector breeds are, Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepard, Carillian (sp) Bear Dog (if you can find one)
So sorry about you little dog. Just devestating!

aj

There is no doubt in my mind that when the dust settles form the nuclear holocast the only things left will be coyotes and cocroaches. Coyotes are survivors. Pyrenees are coyote killers for sure.

HSV

I've had trouble with coyotes this spring. My friend that helps me out around here has shot two. I was checking cows the other night at 3:30 am and found two coyotes eyeing up my calves. I shined my multimillion candle power light on them and they didn't move. The coyotes were just over my electric fence in a field that I had just spread manure on. I gave a shout at them and they didn't leave. I finally got my  brand new company pickup truck and chased them around the field. I just about ran over one of them, but I was getting close to the fence and the far end of the field so I had to let up, not sure how I would explain any damage to our fleet manager! I moved my donkey in with the cows and calves and haven't had any trouble since. My donkey doesn't like coyotes, she helped my friend shoot one this spring, it was just about sun up, coyote was feeding on a dead cow that had been left as bait, coyote was looking head on to the barn where my friend was set up with his 270, it was getting close to time for him to leave for work, sun came up enough to see better, Donkey spots coyote from barnyard, Donkey brays at it, coyote turns sideways, friend puts a slug through coyote right behind the front shoulder.
Good luck with your efforts to rid yourself of your coyote problem. I'm going to try the live bait trap idea myself.
Sorry about your dog.

herefordfootball

Sorry to hear about your little dog. I dont think you can train Rottweilers' to hunt coyotes though, but you can try. Your best bet is to trap them with a live trap. Footholes could get your dogs and then you'd run into problems. We have a full grown German Shepard, and tons of coyotes, but they dont even come close to our place because of her. Good luck with the coyotes.

ROAD WARRIOR

I have waged war on coyotes on and off for several years. This past fall my neighbor lost one of his 1/2 beagle 1/2 terriers to them and they were coming up to everyones houses in the neighborhood and tormenting their dogs and killing their cats. At about the first of the year (well before calving season) I started snaring coyotes out of my pasture behind the house, about 250 acres. By now I have taken 37 coyotes out ( and still counting). Snares are non selective and will catch anything that goes through them so you have to be careful. In my area at least coyotes have no natural predators so their population can get out of control pretty quickly. RW

trevorgreycattleco

hereford you r prolly right on training them but it sounds good lol! I use to have a german shepard for 8 years so maybe thats why I never really had a issue with them. But divorce court and Judge Wapner took him among other things. I was just talkin to my neighbor and apparently a hog farm within a mile of me has been dumping dead hogs on the back of their farm and not buring them We r talking a 1200 head finish house and I was told last winter there were over 200 dead hogs laying around. Finally got so bad they dug a big hole with a trac hoe and finally buried them this spring. This explains alot! The coyotes were on a all you can eat buffet then it when away. May explain the aggressive behavior. Especially if they got a litter of pups. Think I may have to let the EPA or someone know about the farm down the road. That is ridiculous. My neighbor has deemed that farm with the name "pile of pigs"

lowann

I heard of several wild dog packs running between our area, and 7 miles east of here. My son-in law's Grandfather came across a pack of twelve, when he was near his grove. They were all growling, several charged him. He went home, got his gun, and called his son. By the time they got back to the area, the pack was still there, and they got five of them. The rest scattered.
Evidently some guy  near a small town seven miles East, is a dog hoarder. 50+ dogs spotted on his place. They are forming packs, and running.
Scary!

segersmom

Around here, the coyote hunting dogs are greyhounds.  The farmers here like to use dogs to hunt coyotes because it pushes them away.  If you are having problems with lots of coyotes, you might want to contact your department of wildlife and parks (or whatever it's called there).  They might be able to help.

As far as livestock guardians go, donkeys get a lot of use around here.  The Akbash dog is a very cool breed you might consider, also.  They live with the livestock, and they will patrol.  I have seen this, and it was amazing.  My neighbor's Akbash would dig out little spots on high ground around the perimeter of his property and then patrol.  She would lay in one hole for a little while, looking around, then she would run to the next, and so on.  The coyotes stayed farther away from his place while she was there.

I hope you find a solution, because it is a horrible way to lose any of your animals.  Good luck.

Ohioteerchick

Darn things, we have problems with them too. A few years back, when I got home from softball pratice I went to check the cows, and found one cow, not excatly sure what got her but her tail stwich was chewed completely off and her teats were all cut open, she had this terrified look in her eye when I found her. We spent hours keeping her from bleeding out. Now we call her "Stubby" beacuse we tail stwich never fully grew back.