One final Nebraska Big XII post. We'll miss you guys.

Help Support Steer Planet:

JSchroeder

Let’s be clear on one thing…I wouldn’t start this thread if it weren’t for the gloating by a certain Nebraska fan about the north “beating up” the south (on a day the two actually went 3-3 vs each other) and the flood of whining two weeks ago.  This will be my last post about Nebraska and I’ve chosen to start rooting for them again.

That being said, let’s take a look back at Nebraska’s Big XII history from the perspective of the Big XII South…

Nebraska made the Big XII Championship three of their last five years in the Big XII.  They wouldn't have been in any of those if they were in the south.  Based solely upon their record vs the Big XII South in those three years, they would have finished no better than 4th in 2010, 2nd in 2009, and 3rd in 2006 if they had been competing in the South.

Using the same logic, the last time Nebraska would have played in the Big XII Championship would have been 2001 if they played in the southern division.

The last time Nebraska had a winning record vs the Big XII South was 2003.

2010 1-3
2009 2-2
2008 1-2
2007 0-3
2006 1-3
2005 1-2
2004 1-2

In the past seven years, Nebraska has a combined record of 7-17 vs Big XII South teams, a .291 winning percentage.

During that time span that would rank 6th amongst Big XII South teams vs the division, only Baylor has a worse record.  The usual suspects of Texas, Texas Tech, and OU are 1-3.  Texas A&M @ .460 and OSU @ .400 are 4th and 5th.

Bon voyage, we’ll miss you guys.

Seriously.

edit:I had mistakenly given Nebraska credit for an additional win vs a Big XII South team.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Yes , so long corn heads, used to like you guys a lot more back in the day than lately. Well know it was because of the money, i dont expect Nebraska to do much better than 3rd or 4th in the big10. So it had to be about the money. Its cool, Never really could compete for b12 title, sure Nebraska could make it there through a cup cake big 12 north every year, but in the end Nebraska could never compete again the South.

trevorgreycattleco

Im lookin forward to see what they got for the Big10. I think they will compete and give Ohio state a good game. we need a new rival. Beating michigan 7 times in a row has kinda taken away from it a bit ;D.

So who is the big dog in the Big12 north now? (dog) will they restructure the divisions?

jason

Jeff_Schroeder said:
No more divisions.  Bill Snyder was quite upset about that for obvious reasons.

Yeah, you could make runs in the off years where you didn't have to play a texas or oklahoma.  Ie.  the 2007 Jayhawks, who finished 12-1 and got the orange bowl.

aj

K-State beat Texas the last 3 of 4 if memery serves. Nebraska will probably have their own network channel next year Jason.

donorheaven

Jason said:
At least big 12 officials got to present the trophy without fear for their life. 

LOL.  that would have been the best video of the year if the police had allowed the neb coach to catch up with the officials as they ran away at kyle field...they caught up with him at the 10 yard line....i

but, Neb had a great year and I am sad to see them leave....they seem to have turned the corner...

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
They took the video of the year that day , when they took that video of the AM player reaching under the referee an twisting the Neb. guys nuts  until he started kicking an got  the referee ...Didn't see it on the top ten on ESPN ...

JSchroeder

Sorry, really sorry, just gotta say it…

Nebraska was ranked 16th in the latest USA Today Coach’s Poll.  Out of all of the coaches who vote in the USA Today Coach’s Poll, only three had Nebraska higher than 13th.  One was Robb Akey (who has easily the quirkiest ballot of all) at #11 and another was Larry Fedora at #12.

However, there was one voter who thought so much of Nebraska that he ranked them 8th, a full three spots higher than anybody else and 8 spots higher than the consensus.  It was actually the most extreme outlier of all votes on all of the ballots.

Any guesses who?

It rhymes with Mo Felini.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-final-coaches-ballots.htm

Davis Shorthorns

Jeff_Schroeder said:
No more divisions.  Bill Snyder was quite upset about that for obvious reasons.

PLEASE tell me those OBVIOUS reasons???  I would love to hear them.  Will the new structure make it harder for KSU to make it back to the top... yes of course, but look at what Snyder did with what he had to work with the last 2 years.  Now that they have at least a top 75 recruiting class we will see what happens.  Remember that the last two years classes have been ranked in the hundreds nationally.  Any coach can take a top 25 class any year and make them at least respectable.  Oops sorry Texas fans almost forgot about you.  ALMOST any coach...  (lol) jk

JSchroeder

Bill Snyder is the one who said he wants to keep the divisions, not me.  Weren't the reasons it would be preferable to play in a divided Big XII spelled out pretty clearly in the first post?

Since 2002 there has only been one North team that would have made the championship game if they were in the South.  Coincidentally, lucky scheduling let them avoid OU, Texas, and Tech that year.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Yea, i think its funny Nebraska got such a crappy bowl game, ha a rematch of a Washington team they destroyed earlier this year.

Good to see the Aggies, are in the cotton bowl. Lsu is gonna give the Ags a good game, but those bayou kittens got one coming. JerryWorld is gonna be jumping, gonna have to get me some corn dogs and set up a LSU fan trap, see if cant get a few of them to bite.

Attachments

• coon trap.jpg
    coon trap.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 161
  • coon trap2.jpg
    coon trap2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 155