open letter to the AMAA about the Voice

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Not sure if any board members or staff from the MaineAnjou association reads this board.
I just received my copy of the Voice. It was pretty much all ads, show results & columns from the staff.
I used to like it when we had some educational articles. I'm not sucking up but Dr Kaiser had some great articles & they've been dropped. Not every article has to do w/ defects. I look through other breed magizines & see information that actually gives out advice. Articles about how to take good pictures, teaching junior members tips on grooming & showing, how to judge or pick out a good calf & some many other options would be great. The Hereford once ran an article on udders.
I had suggested to John that articles from members would be a nice change. Remember we're getting charged $100 for membership fees & part of that goes to the Voice.

Any other suggestions or anyone else interested in putting something together?

Cowboy Up

I agree, I got my first issue last week, and was very disappointed with it, not what I expected at all.

jrg

Great idea, I like to read about what other ranches are doing with their breeding/marketing/nutritional programs.  And who doesn't like to talk about their program, so you know they could highlight a ranch every issue.

knabe

if it's the performance breed, would like to see some performance, hybrid vigor comparisons, anything.  would like to see the breed post bovigen results by gene instead of just number of stars. would like to see more carcass pictures, maybe like a full page with 20-30 x-sections against competition.  would like to see an indepth retrospective on fullbloods with some creative stuff with them including more support of them other than vague references to them.  the canadians won't join because of registration and dna testing issues versus lack of verification of american fullbloods.  would like to see some of this resolved.  would like to see the breed make inroads in drier climates with lines that don't have hair and slough it fast and don't burn up in drier CA climates.  most of the time, this would be less milk, though probably not red alert levels.

knabe

seems like they could have put the carcass contest in some perspective versus industry averages.  also, the fair winners didn't have any names.  some missing ads.  still not clear why maine carcasses are better.

GLZ

The Register (Simmental) does a pretty decent job.  Lately they have been focusing on people from the past (40 year history), and they always feature a story or two about different breeders.  I would like them to drop some of the Total Herd Enrollment Information that is in there every single month.  I get it already I swear.