Opinion of Simmi Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainecattlemother

Please send opinion of this Simmi steer.  I apologize but the pics are really bad.  He is a Triple C Invasion x Hired Man.  We are trying to get him deeper in the flank.  He placed very high at MN Beef Expo but has not progressed like we would have liked since then.  Any suggestionss are appreciated even if they are bad.  Just a note, we are having problems with him taking beet pulp.

Attachments

• Opie 1.jpg
    Opie 1.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Opie 2.jpg
    Opie 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138

ferkj

First off your pics are actually pretty good compared to alot on here.  Secondly so is your steer.  (clapping)  He may be a little straight on back legs but still looks sound enough.  Are you soaking the beet pulp before feeding it?  We usually soak it over night if we can, they seem to eat it much better.  Sometimes true flank depth is hard to increase with additives, you can add belly volume but it seems the flank doesn't do as much.  Just my opinion.  If you can find citrus pulp he may eat that better than the beet pulp.  It has a much sweeter taste the beet and also makes the barn smell better.  We foung ours from a large dairy farm that buys it by trailer load for their TMR mixture.  Whats he weigh and when is your target show?

savaged

I would recommend Apex from Umbarger.  Our calves tend to eat it a lot better than standard beet pulp or Full Tank. 

mainecattlemother

Mistake on the pedigree it is a Hired Man x Triple C Beautiful Babe.  Again any comments good or bad appreciated.

LLBUX

Based upon these pictures(and I bet they don't fully represent the steer):

To me he looks a little short necked, straight in the front shoulder and leg, and toes out a bit in the pic.  May be a bit straight on rear leg set. 
I bet he looks good from the profile when set up.  I would think the combo may cause him to track a bit short on the move.

I like his natural versus fed-on thickness.  He has a bunch of muscle and looks to have a very nice top.  He looks like a grower!
Personally, I prefer cattle that have some muscle definition rather than those that are shaped well but have little definition.
I attribute some of that to fat deposition rather than actual product.

I don't know your calf weight, target weight or when your final show is, so it is hard to make any suggestions regarding feeding. 
I'm also not a professional, so my advice may be moot.  If you are looking for more guts, good quality grass hay, oats, rolled corn, molasses, protein and oil work for me.

I have a very similar steer.  He is gaining very well and will stand toward the top in the show ring. 
I already have him sold when done showing.  That is just fine by me.