Opinion on heifers and thoughts for breeding?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jchandler16

I showed steers at my county fair for a few years now and have started getting into breeding my own calves for my brother to show as I am no longer of age for junior shows. I purchased these three heifers back in october and wanted some opinions on overall quality of animals as well as some ideas for breeding. My original thought was to go either with i80 or tiny tim to get small calves that can be registered females. any thoughts. They are all february heifers sire is MAB on all three. the first and last have a maine dam and the second is an angus dam

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 900
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 877
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 257

mark tenenbaum

i-80 is a no-brainer-along with a cast of thousands-such as: Excel 80, Safe and Sound, Comfort Zone, Jose, Daddy of em all, Daddys Money,Dity Harry etc- This is what id do and hes as easy calving as anything listed several generations on both sides- but I like blues and chrome and am sick of looking at black cattle-Hes owned by Wise Shorthorns in Ill.No Ds etc by pedigree

Attachments

• image Wises hiefer bull-Belltinger x CE Canadian.jpg
    image Wises hiefer bull-Belltinger x CE Canadian.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 353

StagecoachCattle

I had kept an eye on that black and white heifer this fall when she sold, I have one I retained that I feel is pretty similar to her.  I'm interested to see what ideas you get.

b_kackley

Consider No Worries, all the reports I have heard are they are small and fancy and a lot of them have some chrome. I also agree about Jose and comfort zone.

jchandler16

It seems like majority of those bulls are all sired by i80. I too am not overly won over by plain black cattle but from what I have seen i80 has good calves. I couldn't find anything on that shorthorn bull. I wouldn't be against going with a good shorthorn bull but would I be able to register females? what is blood requirement for shorthorn plus?

Any other ideas on bulls?

mark tenenbaum

I will come up with his info-hes solid CE both sides-He thick but goes back to I think Charisma on the top-and the Raon Canadian CE bull Studer used on the bottom-So you will probably get blues-the calves would be 50% Short pluses. CANDIAN Shorthorn breeders dont realise how good thier cattle breed with clubby-dont see many. My buddy Dale wernicke had a really stout blue out of OffRoad-a Majpr Leroy Son. The pics are  another from up there-1 things for certain- SHES STOUT-I think ones out of Wises bull would be more showy but theyd posses the guts and rib from your end-and the Canadian blood.- Vogels who raised Charisma  and Bellringer had really good ones out of both-some others were shown well out of Iowa

Attachments

• 5317045.jpg
    5317045.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 2560663.jpg
    2560663.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 328

jchandler16

I would love some blue roan I think they are my personal favorite color pattern but have heard to get a blue roan its black sire on shorthorn dam or does it go both ways?

dimebag

After way too many hard lessons learned , I breed all of my heifers to Angus bulls and don't even think twice about it either .. just my .02 cents . Very nice heifers !!

Gargan

DBL J1 said:
After way too many hard lessons learned , I breed all of my heifers to Angus bulls and don't even think twice about it either .. just my .02 cents . Very nice heifers !!
same story here!! I agree with this (clapping)

OH Showman

I agree with No Worries. More consistent calving ease than I80. Calves come small and have some vigor and the bull certainly won't sacrifice bone, foot, or stoutness. In fact, he ended up adding bone and power to our cows which are Monopolies and most of the calves come out with white on their faces which seems to always help get them sold.

mark tenenbaum

jchandler16 said:
I would love some blue roan I think they are my personal favorite color pattern but have heard to get a blue roan its black sire on shorthorn dam or does it go both ways?/// The hiefer is I think MAB on a Canadian Short cow-maybe surround Sound- The white bull I posted has enough OLD CANADIAN breeding and a shot of Chi along with real roan cattle on the other sides-he will almost certainlely throw a blue or chrome em-As long as either parent has the right combo-those colors will come through-doesnt matter if the cows white or roan-or the bull. Thats the reason you even see white (other than ears) hiefers coming out of a black bull like FSF Hardline- THE WHITE BULL IS ALSO A DOCUMENTED CE- O0

jchandler16

Mark do you have a link where i can see more on that white bull you posted if he can throw some blue like the heifer you posted I would definitely be interested in looking in to him

mark tenenbaum

jchandler16 said:
Mark do you have a link where i can see more on that white bull you posted if he can throw some blue like the heifer you posted I would definitely be interested in looking in to him
////////HE is owned by Wesley Wise in Ill- 217-246-1912 (I hope its OK to post his no) -and hes hiefer safe-I dont think youd get one like that freaky roan-and you do not want something that extreme out of a hiefer.The hiefer you are looking at is sired by an extreme clubby bull- Going the other way JITS roan bull would probably throw something similar but he aint no hiefer bull but the 2 hiefers share that type-the other bull Im really high on is Martindell Enticer last picture- Hes calving ease and been used on alot of hiefers-but hes also massive with an old fullblood maine sire who was closely related to DMCC LTD Edition: hes 26-2700 pounds and his daughters are CE and thick-Again-Id use him second go- O0

Attachments

• 1959221_592061510873049_24735726_n.jpg
    1959221_592061510873049_24735726_n.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 323
  • HC Secret Maid 57B by Free Spiritsm.jpg
    HC Secret Maid 57B by Free Spiritsm.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Six S Leah 55L and heifer calf_sm.jpg
    Six S Leah 55L and heifer calf_sm.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 10547579_750033825053059_3458243516440778883_n.jpg
    10547579_750033825053059_3458243516440778883_n.jpg