Opinion on truck

Help Support Steer Planet:

JRapp

Thinking of buying a Chevy 1500HD.  I pull a 20 Ft featherlite trailer to about 10 shows a year w/1-2 calves in it.  It has the same motor/Trany as the 2500, but not quite the suspension. Any comments good or bad?

Thanks!

3dfarms

I think with only a few calves that would be fine.  If you were pulling a full load I'd advice against it but I don't think you will notice the difference with under 3,000 lbs in the trailer including feed, supplies, etc.

knabe

make sure you change the rear end oil and make smooth launches if you want it to last.

Pipeliner

Good tires and air bags in it well make a world of a difference. I'm also a big big believer in nitrogen in the tires instead of air. Your tires run cooler and the pressure stays the same whether it's 120 or -30. I've got an extra 10,000 miles or so out of my tires with nitrogen compared to air.

GoWyo

Make sure not to exceed your GVWR rating.  Not only for safety purposes, but if you are in an accident, someone will try to pin the blame on you for causing the accident due to exceeding the weight rating.  Add up your truck wt., trailer wt., cargo wt. and wt. of passengers and compare to your vehicle's GVWR to get an idea of whether you should be pulling this trailer with this vehicle.

knabe

most sites say nitrogen doesn't do anything, rather just keep your tires inflated as air leaks through your tires while nitrogen doesn't.

buy an air compressor.

Pipeliner

You can find sites that support both....... I've also had both in my welding trucks that are packing right around 6000lbs everyday and when there's not a welder on it there's a 24ft stock trailer loaded with cattle and show gear. I put on a minimum of 40,000 miles a year and am getting 10,000 or so more miles on the tires. I also have a truck sitting in the back of the yard (like a real redneck) that has no motor in it. I parked it 4yrs ago and the tire pressure on all the tires is the same as the day I parked it. Like I said you can find sites that support both, but I'll be sticking with the nitrogen It seems to work for me.

DLD

The 1500hd's are basically 2500's with a little less suspension and a 3.73 rear end (4.10's were available on 2500's, but not these) - same frame, axles, brakes, etc...  They're 8600 gvw, just like earlier generation 3/4 tons, and only 400-600 lbs less than comparable 2500's.  I pulled a 20' Circle D steel trailer, loaded heavier than you're talking about, with the one I had and got along just fine. It'll be plenty of truck for what you'll be using it for. Make sure you've got 10 ply tires (it came with 'em from the factory, but someone else might've downgraded) and you should be good to go.

3dfarms

estspx said:
Can you actually put a goose neck hitch in a 1500?

You can put a gooseneck hitch on any truck, but you tend to see more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks because of the gearing and suspension is better for towing/hauling.

I have a F150 with a gooseneck hitch just for our small trailer to haul a few calves down the road or to a sale.

vc

I have a 1999 Chevy k1500 Silverado,bought it new, hauled a 16 foot aluminum gooseneck tack and 2 steers for a few years, our shows where 3 to 4 hundred miles away with a couple good mountains in between. Airbags are a must, but that was the only thing it needed. The truck was an extra cab and when the boys were young it was not a problem, in 05 we bought a 2500hd crewcab with the diesel, now i don't like using the 1500 for towing (kind of like as long as you only use your computer everything is fine, use a newer faster one and now your pc is to old an slow) I drive the 1500 for work as well, at 247000 I am having to replace the transmition, which to me is not bad for all truck has done. I had to replace the breaks for the first time at 105000.
Drive smart don't over do it and you will be fine.

The Show

It should do it, but I personally HATE to pull anything with a gas truck. Diesel is the only way to go IMO

chambero

It's been a long time since I've had a 1/2 ton (1500) Chevy, but I think I burned up four or five transmissions on three different ones pulling light, bumper pull trailers in the early to mid 90s.  They might be different now, but it cured me for life.  If you are going to pull more than a boat, I recommend a heavier truck.

3dfarms

In regard to bigger trucks, I've always heard:

If you want a truck, get a 1/2 ton, if you occasionally could use a truck, get a 3/4 ton, if you need a truck, get a ton. 

I have had a few F350's and a few F150's.  My F150 will pull my small trailer, but the 350 gets any job done I need.  Not promoting one brand over the other, just what I've personally owned.

DLD

1500hd trucks are kind of a rare bird - GM built the 1500hd series trucks from '01 to maybe '04 before they started building the standard 1500 crew cab.  Rather than being based on the 1500, they were based on the 2500.  Same frame, same axles, same engine, transmission, transfer case, coolers... same everything except slightly lighter springs, so they sit a bit lower. Unless you read the 1500 tag, you'll assume it's a 2500 - full 6 1/2' bed, 8 lug wheels, etc... They were GM's quick fix for a market that wanted a half ton with a full crew cab.  GM probably was wise in knowing that most buyers of this type truck would be towing with it, but eventually the buyers wanting a lighter, shorter wheelbase truck won out, and the 1500hd's were no more. IMO, they're dang good trucks for towing not real big loads, if you can find one.

jason

3dfarms said:
In regard to bigger trucks, I've always heard:

If you want a truck, get a 1/2 ton, if you occasionally could use a truck, get a 3/4 ton, if you need a truck, get a ton. 

I have had a few F350's and a few F150's.  My F150 will pull my small trailer, but the 350 gets any job done I need.  Not promoting one brand over the other, just what I've personally owned.

When it comes down to the 3/4 and 1 ton are identical except for springs, unless you get a 1 ton dually.

JRapp

Thanks for the info guys!  <rock> I'm still looking at some other trucks, but will keep you posted on what I end up with.