Opinions of my steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

fordkindagirl

Name: Diesel
DOB: Unknown
Breeder: Unknown
Weight: 920
Frame Score: Unknown

This is my FFA steer. Just wanted some opinions on him. All I know about his breeding/history is that he came from north TX.
These pictures were taken today. He is in a bit of a growth spurt in his hind end but he normally has a straight top line.

Attachments

• Diesel1.jpg
    Diesel1.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Diesel2.jpg
    Diesel2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179

fordkindagirl

More pics.
Not sure why he looks so black in the third one ???

Attachments

• Diesel3.jpg
    Diesel3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 195
  • Diesel4.jpg
    Diesel4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 244

Show Heifer

Ok, I am going to be honest.... He seems way, way too straight in the back legs, he seems to be a bit forward in his shoulder, way too tight in the middle (no guts or heart girth) and seems slight in his muscle.
That being said, I do think you are doing the best you can with him.... meaning he is well cared for, well groomed, and has good nutrition. 
I wish you luck.

fordkindagirl

Show Heifer said:
Ok, I am going to be honest.... He seems way, way too straight in the back legs, he seems to be a bit forward in his shoulder, way too tight in the middle (no guts or heart girth) and seems slight in his muscle.
That being said, I do think you are doing the best you can with him.... meaning he is well cared for, well groomed, and has good nutrition. 
I wish you luck.
Thanks for the input. As far as the legs- he isn't setup so he has them pretty far back, so I don't think they are as straight as you think.Shoulders- Kind of agreeing with you there. As far as the middle we are working on opening up his ribs (only had him about a month). And muscling- working on it. Any tips would be appreciated.

fordkindagirl

Here is a pic of last year's GC, so you know what they look for around here.

Attachments

• Lastyearsgc.jpg
    Lastyearsgc.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 170

Silver

Pour the feed to him, he needs every bite he can get. Really don't like his structure at all, but at least he has a good trim underbelly and neck. Need some hair too, you can hide a lot of problems and make him look a ton thicker.

fordkindagirl

Silver said:
Pour the feed to him, he needs every bite he can get. Really don't like his structure at all, but at least he has a good trim underbelly and neck. Need some hair too, you can hide a lot of problems and make him look a ton thicker.
Wish I could put some hair on him, but if he gets too hot he scours, and the district show is a slick show.

fordkindagirl

beefmaster said:
I am going to say that he needs to put allot of weight on, :) good lick though
Yeah, he's gaining 2.7 a day though. And my show isn't til Feb 3, so he should be 1400/ close to it by then.