Opinions of steer - please

Help Support Steer Planet:

SueBee

I've been lurking on and off here for quite a while.  I've enjoyed reading and learning all ya'll have to offer.  This is my son's first steer - he is showing at our county fair in March 09. He was born in September 07 and a month ago he weighed 1003.  We are new at showing steers - we've shown pigs for the past 10 years.  I know pigs - but steers are a whole new experience.  We don't have near the knowledge, experience and equipment that ya'll have - I've learned alot from everyone on here!  I'd really like honest opinions on our steer.  We think he is pretty, but like I said - we don't really know a whole lot.  He hasn't been trimmed yet, so these pictures are really not the best - but hopefully you can tell me about him structurally.  Thanks again for your input - ald for all the info, jokes, etc.  that you share on Steerplanet.  I enjoy it all!  The last picture is the newest member of our family - my rat terrier Blue

Attachments

• steer 2 11-11-08.JPG
    steer 2 11-11-08.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 814
  • steer 3 11-11-08.JPG
    steer 3 11-11-08.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 815
  • steer 11-11-08.JPG
    steer 11-11-08.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 845
  • blue 11-11-08.JPG
    blue 11-11-08.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 797

Simmymom1

(welcome)  I love your rat terrier, he looks like he is a lot of fun!!  I am going to leave it up to the "steer experts" to critique your steer, they can do a better job than I can.  Have a great day!  Lisa

knabe

i think he's getting too fat.  i don't think he has the volume to keep eating what he's eating to stay fresh till march.  he has the opposite problem of steers out here, they don't get fat.

SueBee

Thank you knabe.  I feel the same way - but every time I take him to be weighed I get our feed guy to look at him and tell me what he thinks.  He had me start adding corn to his finisher two weeks ago.  I asked him if he thought that would make him too fat by festival time and he told me that he had never seen a steer that was too fat.  This guy is very involved with our local festival, on the board, etc. - his daughters have won grand and reserve several times.  He has also produced many of the grand and reserve steers.  I did not get our steer from him - but we are getting our feed from him.  I'm unsure of  how to feed the steer so that he doesn't get huge and old looking in the last 4 months.  We are feeding 24 lbs of finisher and 6 lbs of corn a day - split between morning and evening.

Simmymom1

That sure is a lot of feed to be feeding him a day.  You are going to have to somehow put him on a holding ration, you have a looong 4 months to go.  This guy that is "helping" you, does he still have kids that are showing that will be showing against your son??  Just thought I would ask.  He looks too fat to me too.  JMO...  Lisa

knabe

SueBee said:
he told me that he had never seen a steer that was too fat. 

but we are getting our feed from him.

probably hasn't seen a wallet that was too lean either.  (that doesn't mean stop buying from him.  do a little shopping around)

here's one for you.  went to get some chalk the other day.  $1 at one feed store, $2 at another one.

that's a 100% difference.

SueBee

No, the guy's daughters have graduated - but I do realize that we are not in the "circle" of showers most likely to win.  This is a given at this fair and it's been like this for over 20 years - since my brothers were showing.   We know this and it has always been my philosophy - with our pigs - that we do the best we can with what we have.  In fact, this steer has had an average daily gain of 3 lbs/day.  Other than a couple of hot summer months - most of the time he averaged 5 lbs./day.  My son joked that he would try to win the ADG contest.  As long as my kids work at their projects - take care of them the way they should and put their best effort into showing - that is what it all about.  Yes, it's nice to win and we have always placed at the top of our classes with our pigs and in showmanship, but my kid's success is not dependent on the top blue ribbon.  I've always been told that the charlois mix steers are hard to finish - that is why people have been telling me to put him on corn.  He is a maine/char/chi/ang cross.  What recommendations would you make for his feed?  

You're right knabe about the wallet!  The feed guy - while I'm sure he has his favorites that he helps more - has been very helpful with all the kids.  He was one of several sponsors that put on a clinic for kids - showing all types of animals.  He offers the kids that buy their feed from him a discount on feed and use of scales, etc.  The cost is comparable to others in our area.  This is why I posted here - to get your response - I can ask anyone and everyone around here and I'm sure everyone has their own agenda for whatever answer they give me.  With ya'll I'm sure that I can get unbiased feedback.  Thanks again for your help.

DLD

Hmmm... 30 lbs a day for a 1000# steer would be 3% of his body weight.  On the upper end of what he needs, but not really excessive imho, especially if he's converting it to a 3+ lb per day gain.  He doesn't necessarily look excessively fat to me.  He's about the same age and weight of our smaller framed steers for OKC (also in March) and 100 - 150#  behind our bigger ones, and we're giving them all they'll eat right now, which is from 26 to 30 lbs apiece, so I don't believe you're too far off track.  If he's still growing frame wise, you should be ok to keep pushing him, but if he quits growing taller, you might want to back off a little.

Part of the reason we're pushing hard now is that it's hard to hold hair in February and March while you're pushing hard. This time of year they'll generally grow hair even if they are on a hotter ration, but once the days start gettin' longer and it starts warmin' up here, you've got to do all you can to hold hair.  Our goal is to try to get them covered like we want them by early to mid-January, then keep them in a more or less coasting mode from there on out.  Of course, they're still going to grow some, but if they're fat enough we can decrease the protein and energy just enough to maintain the finish, then it's easier to hold hair and manage weight from there on out.  Everyone might not agree, but it seems to work for us.

OH Breeder

First, tell your son to smile. I am not sure why folks in cattle pics never smile.

I like this guy. Once he is clipped and blown out I think he will surprise you. Little shorter necked but I really like his depth of body. Looks like he has some hair which is good. Looks like he is really gaining. If you have to go til March you look like you are going to make it. Nice calf.
I am with DLD, he seems to be on track with the amount of feed. You may want change the ration up a bit to give him so more grow. If I missed it, sorry.
Now, this may not mean anything, but I saw more than one 49  incher 1300# steer win this past year. I dont konw anything about OKC and what they like. Wish I could help on that one.

one more thing, tell him to get a good rice root and start brushing the hair forward. Brush brush brush

Attachments

• steer sm pic2 11-11-08.JPG
    steer sm pic2 11-11-08.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 528
  • steer sm pic3 11-11-08.JPG
    steer sm pic3 11-11-08.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 508
  • steersm pic 11-11-08.JPG
    steersm pic 11-11-08.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 508
  • bluesm pic 11-11-08.JPG
    bluesm pic 11-11-08.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 498

farwest

I think this is probably a pretty good steer with some hair care and a clip job, would be interesting to see.

DLD

OH Breeder, I don't think they're in OK (we're just not that green right now - lol).  I was just saying our situations would be comparable because we're both shooting for March shows.

SueBee

Thank you all for your replies and help.  We finally got a grooming chute so maybe next time I'll have some better pictures of the steer with him a lot cleaner and neater.  I really appreciate your advice, comments & critiques!

AAOK

The Steer is certainly not too fat!  Take the advice of DLD on the feeding.  He is right- on.  And, as OH Breeder has stated; now is the time to really start working the hair.  No blower or roto fluffer will ever match a rice root brush attached to a strong arm.

knabe

AAOK said:

The Steer is certainly not too fat!  Take the advice of DLD on the feeding.  He is right- on.  And, as OH Breeder has stated; now is the time to really start working the hair.  No blower or roto fluffer will ever match a rice root brush attached to a strong arm.

as i'm in the novice minority, what cover does anyone think he'll finish at?

yousesteers

Keep feeding him it is easier to get one there and then hold them than it is to push them to there A steer can get to fat for the ring but I dont think this one will been wrong before though I would try to get his feet trimmed from what I see he is not structurally faulted but could use a little work on the front nothing serious though a good clip job will make this steer look completly different

simtal

I think he's getting too fat too, I bet he's got .4" already.  I think he is gonna run this risk of being a yield grade 4.

DLD

simtal said:
I think he's getting too fat too, I bet he's got .4" already.  I think he is gonna run this risk of being a yield grade 4.

I don't see that at all - his brisket isn't filling in (yes, there's leather there, but it's not filled out and fat looking), nor are his flanks or twist as far as I can see.  You can see his cod, but even it doesn't appear to be really fat (maybe how he was castrated?).  Maybe just starting to build a little fat around his tailhead.  Based on what I can see in the pictures and what they tell us he's been gaining, I'm seeing a big bodied easy feeding steer that's not that far off his mark, imo.  Plus, I'm going to put some stock in someone who's seen him in person and apparently has some idea how to feed one for this show - I just have to doubt he's purposefully steering them wrong. 

Could he get too fat between now and March?  Sure, if he continues to eat 3% of his bodyweight in a high energy ration every day and quits growing framewise, he might.  Is he too fat now?  As I said, I don't see it.  That's the problem with pictures, obviously we all see them a little differently. 

knabe said:
as i'm in the novice minority, what cover does anyone think he'll finish at?

Good question, knabe.  And honestly, I don't know.  If he was in a feedlot, he'd be fed 'til he was fat enough, then butchered.  But he's not in a feedlot, he's being fed for a show on a particular date, and that's why I say he needs to be finished to where you want him to show ( hard to describe, but that's enough to roll slightly under your hand as you handle his top, enough over all but the last couple of ribs that you can't feel them at all, enough over the last ones that they at least feel "well padded", enough that if you grasp his flank in your hand it feels full and thick...) 45 - 60 days prior to that date, so that then you can slow him down and concentrate on managing his weight and working on his hair (assuming he won't be shown slick) and to allow for showing him a few times along the way.  It's as much an art as a science, and everybodies ideas are going to be a little different - those are just mine.