Opinions of this Steer Please!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

lewscrew

Can you please give me an opinion of this steer. 

Attachments

• kimbo10.jpg
    kimbo10.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 205

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

He looks like he's pretty big shouldered, but if your gonna have a caboose you gotta have an engine. Would like to see him be deeper in his rear flank but jmo. looks like a nice steer, How has he done so far showing?

lewscrew

In December he was middle of the pack in his class because he was lacking a bit in finish.  We fixed that problem and by May he was first in his class.  For the county fair he took 3rd.  The judge felt he had too much finish, but I have always felt that you could never have too much finish. 

vc

I would like to see more balance, The front half and rear half do not blend very well. nice job feeding him.

jallen

I know you cant really do alot but his neck could be a little cleaner and what I mean not so much cleaner as not so broad coming out of his shoulders. I would also agree he needs to drop about 3-4 inches in his flank. But he does look really nice steer. I hope you dont take any offence its just my opinion. Good luck with him.

taylor tay

He is a pretty nice steer i think, he needs more muscling in his rear and needs a straighter toplike, he looks really nice <party>

SFASUshowman

I agree with everyone else pretty much everyone else...I dont think his front end is terrible...but he is just so powerful in the front and doesnt seem like he carries that throughout, and could be a touch deeper in the flank...what we mean as judges by them being "to soft" or "carrying to much finish" is that they are past their market prime..in the show ring we try to mirror what happens in the feedlot for steers, just put it in a prettier package...if a steer is to hard to the touch he isnt ready to hang b/c marbling and meat quality would not be as good...but when they start putting on to much fat they arent really adding muscle anymore so your really wasting feed which makes the steer not as profitable to the feeder..so when we are saying they are to soft we are saying they just kinda went past their prime...and when we are feeding for a specific show thats a gamble that we have to play!

jbzdad

I agree he could be a little cleaner up front,
I would really like to see any earlier pictures, like when you picked him out.....'' to see if we can see the "imbalance"(for lack of a better word) when he was younger