Opinions on Angus Show Steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ktkurtz

Bulldaddy

I like his front one-third. But he is a little stretched out in the photo to tell much about the rest of him. Keep jup the good work!

Ktkurtz

Yeah, sorry. He was being a butt when  was trying to set him up and I ended up taking the picture without fixing him. Ill get another tomorrow.

RyanChandler

Dieters 60 and fast.  This is a later maturing type calf. If you do not increase the energy level of his ration so that he stops stretching and starts laying on fat, you're going to have a calf that's just proportionaty larger with still no fat cover.  As long and lean as he is, I would drop the protein % of his ration WAY DOWN-like to 8%- or he's going to finish WAY too large to be competitive. 

rackranch

I wouldn't drop the protein level of any show ration to below 11-12%.  Its is very important for building muscle shape in growing calves such as this.  I think your steer has a lot of good to him and could be a good one in the end.  A couple of things I would consider.  First of all, his center of body.  He is a very long sided steer, which I like, but needs more middle to him.  I would think about increasing his hay intake to as much as he will eat and still clean up his feed.  After he starts to cover real well you could add beet pulp or products such as Purina Depth Charge to his diet to help add some guts.

My second concern is that he looks like he could be a hard doer.  What I mean by that is he could be hard to get fat enough to look the part in the end.  I don't know your ration at this time but I would slowly work him up to a 50% corn ration.  If he is close to that now, say a 45% ration, then I would think about adding some Purina Power Fuel to his diet.  He looks like the kind that will need extra energy to get there.  I don't know your end point for the steer but if it is late fall or winter I would get my crock pot ready and start cooking corn around the end of September. I would also think about adding stabilized rice bran about this time.  You can also cook a little barley with your corn for added energy.

Has all the right pieces but needs more center of body and to be softened up before his end point....G-Luck

Ktkurtz

He's going to start the depth charge tomorrow. He's not on a very high corn ratio so if the dietert 60 gets him there I'll get that this weekend. Ill try to find rice bran this weekend as well. Would a liquid fat supplement help?

vc

I do not think I would start the depth charge yet, I would do as rackranch says, feed, hay and stabilized rice bran. I think this is the secand post this week with someone feeding the same feed, they were not getting any gain. I do thank your feed needs more protein and fat the SRB will help with the fat.

Ktkurtz

Yes I posted with the other one, it was another person from our barn with the weight challenged steer. Okay, so no depth charge yet. Start the rice bran now?

vc

I would, start with a pound a day and work your way up to 2 pounds a day.

Ktkurtz

He won't eat it. I have him the smallest amount and he refuses his feed. If I walk with a bucket of only a handful of rice bran he runs away.

vc

Stabilized rice bran has a pleasant smell to it, if it has gone bad he will not eat it. I've had feed were the fat had gone bad, smelled like there was a dead mouse in it.

Ktkurtz

It smells good and taste okay, can I put something sweet on it to get him to try it like Dyne?

RyanChandler

I've had calves that wouldn't eat it at first too. They'd literally eat around it if it was top dressed.  If its his only option, he'll acquire a taste for it. Like the ol adage- beggars can't be choosers.