Opinions on another herd bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Endless Meadows

First off I would like to thankeveryone that provided comments on our Brass Bull in a previous post.  He will be going to stud this fall for collection.

I would also love to hear any other comments you might have on another one of our herd bulls that is being used naturally.  He is Sired by DFS Gold 002 and is a natural calf out of Elbee Bessie F120 (K-Kim Donor and foundation of the Foxxy heifers).  He has been a bit of a surprise on how well he has turned out for us.  He has worked well on heifers with little problems at all.  The females we have kept back from him have been really exceptional and with perfect udders.  The final and maybee most surprising thing has been color as most of his calves have been solid red or red with very few white marks. I am attatching pictures of a few of his calves and the bull himself.  Thank you,

He has not been frame scored yet but I would guess him in the high 5 to low 6 range and his acctual BW was 84 lbs
EPD's  BW 2.0  WW 10  YW 16  Milk 2

Attachments

• Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 128
  • xchange5.jpg
    xchange5.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 135
  • xchange4.jpg
    xchange4.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 145
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 137

shortdawg

I like your bull. I think those heifers will really go on to be really good functional cattle that will work well as replacements in your herd.

sjcattleco

bull looks pretty good!.. He certainly changed a lot as he grew up.. That first pic looks like a yearling I would have liked to see him more masculine but he must have been a little later maturing because he looks the part at maturity.    I would say that when you go to look for for another herd bull you need to look for some similar pedigrees to that Bessie cow or your Brass bull to continue on  in your breeding program.

Endless Meadows

Thanks for the comments. We actually just purchased another herd bull.  I don't have too many pictures of him yet and his first calves will not be born until this coming spring. He is a Red Cloud 7026 and out of a Dover Ranch cow.  I would say that your assessment of the bull pictured is pretty accurate, he could use a touch more thickness for my taste, but the females are great. I'll have to try and get some pictures of the first heifer calf pictured and another. They are nursing their first calves and I think have a LOT of potential, and textbook perfect udders.

mark tenenbaum

sjcattleco said:
bull looks pretty good!.. He certainly changed a lot as he grew up.. That first pic looks like a yearling I would have liked to see him more masculine but he must have been a little later maturing because he looks the part at maturity.    I would say that when you go to look for for another herd bull you need to look for some similar pedigrees to that Bessie cow or your Brass bull to continue on  in your breeding program. A doublestuuf-gizmo is what I would look for.

Endless Meadows

I was able to get some pictures of his first group of daughters with calves at side.  I waited to long and most were nursed down already and the best uddered one's wouldn't cooperate, but here are some of his first calf hfrs.

Attachments

• HPIM0729.JPG
    HPIM0729.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 161
  • HPIM0727.JPG
    HPIM0727.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 704 1st calf.JPG
    704 1st calf.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 123